Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Almajo88
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Mar 2018, 8:32 pm

This is the situation for people with autism:

'progressive' job openings specify female or minority ethnic candidates as being preferential

our own charities do not specify autistic candidates as being preferential

the mainstream media denies our existence; at best, middle-class autistic people will be featured in an article in the Guardian, maybe. AT BEST.

DO THEY KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE to be treated as a 'ret*d', like a piece of s**t, through their formative years? Do they know what it's like to have a delayed development, to be an adult with a young mental age and yet be provided with no help? To be in a situation where the only help you can get is from exploitative charities who want to make you work for NOTHING?

I'm speaking here as a reasonably intelligent individual. You might disagree with the presentation of my message - I am drunk - but the message itself is sound. We aren't treated as human beings. We aren't treated like disadvantaged people, even. We're treated like ret*ds. ret*ds who have to try desperately to prove that they're worthy of receiving money to be kept alive. Supposed progressives pretend to care. By some strange coincidence, the alt-right gains a foothold with autistic people -- how could this happen? People I used to know, suddenly spouting nonsense about Western civilisation. Poison. Borne from people who should know better.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 8:34 pm

Are you Scouse or from one of the other towns? :-)

The major thing is that we are patronised and ignored.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 8:36 pm

Almajo88 wrote:
People I used to know, suddenly spouting nonsense about Western civilisation. Poison. Borne from people who should know better.

I've never been alt-right but I have had a pretty strident view of things.

Aspinator
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2018, 8:52 pm

I agree with the OPs overall sentiment. One of the things I have to be on guard against is that I have been treated like a second-class citizen for so long that I tend to not take sxxt from anyone and I have to stop and think if the person really meant to be disrespectful to me or not.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 1:14 am

Almajo88 wrote:
This is the situation for people with autism:

'progressive' job openings specify female or minority ethnic candidates as being preferential

our own charities do not specify autistic candidates as being preferential

the mainstream media denies our existence; at best, middle-class autistic people will be featured in an article in the Guardian, maybe. AT BEST.

DO THEY KNOW WHAT IT'S LIKE to be treated as a 'ret*d', like a piece of s**t, through their formative years? Do they know what it's like to have a delayed development, to be an adult with a young mental age and yet be provided with no help? To be in a situation where the only help you can get is from exploitative charities who want to make you work for NOTHING?

I'm speaking here as a reasonably intelligent individual. You might disagree with the presentation of my message - I am drunk - but the message itself is sound. We aren't treated as human beings. We aren't treated like disadvantaged people, even. We're treated like ret*ds. ret*ds who have to try desperately to prove that they're worthy of receiving money to be kept alive. Supposed progressives pretend to care. By some strange coincidence, the alt-right gains a foothold with autistic people -- how could this happen? People I used to know, suddenly spouting nonsense about Western civilisation. Poison. Borne from people who should know better.

Yep...
Been there...
Hopefully, things have improved since I was a kid...

Aspinator wrote:
I agree with the OPs overall sentiment. One of the things I have to be on guard against is that I have been treated like a second-class citizen for so long that I tend to not take sxxt from anyone and I have to stop and think if the person really meant to be disrespectful to me or not.

Yep...

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 1:37 am

The OP certainly described my school years growing up. Things have gotten better for me in adulthood - - save for a few instances.

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 9:40 pm

Almajo88 wrote:

Yes, very true, and I think the next time I apply for a position, even one that I am clearly not even qualified for, I will mention the fact that I am "on the spectrum", and should therefore, in accordance with P.C. guidelines regarding "positive discrimination", be given preference over someone who is en-tee. If they show signs of not complying, I will threaten to sue.

That's how it works now, doesn't it? It would make for an interesting experiment, if nothing else.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 11:10 pm

I think we need to stop being as cynical as we are. Can we, please?

Also I wonder, have decades of social progressivism in the west necessarily lead to a higher quality of life for those on the spectrum?

But, I'm not a broken individual. The group grievance mentality in this community is what I think needs to tone down.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 11:19 pm

I think people tend to sympathise with people they can relate to, as we are less relatable we get less sympathy. For me what sticks out most through my childhood wasn't kids treating me poorly but adults treating me poorly. I think people on the outside of society are less influenced by social pressures so more frequently occupy the extremes. I don't like the Alt right (its just a rebranding of the far right) But I do agree western civilisation is superior and needs to be protected.

It is strange how many of us seem to be from the North west of England.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2018, 11:22 pm

I'd rather stay off the profoundly negative as I get that enough of us are teetering on the brink.

About all I can say is that group/collective victimhood and movements have some aspects of legitimacy but the majority of it isn't what it appears to be. The choice seems to be either be part of something brash, obnoxious, and cult-like, extort the government and sell your integrity in exchange, or go it alone, keep your integrity, but pay the price of being unseen. Unfortunately I think most people are generally thinking about themselves (notice all the sound and fury for parents of autistics for example), we're used to being the underdogs and having to know our place, and our good sportsmanship seems to be part of what keeps us here.

I have wondered if it could be possible than an ASD think-tank might come about where enough lawyers, bureaucrats, and other people on the spectrum with connections got together and tried to do things to make life more bearable for those on the spectrum - like organizing communities for majority ASD, starting companies that hired majority ASD in those areas (perhaps with the sales, marketing, and tech support being other), or at least finding ways to move Bureau of Vocational Rehab in most states past being the joke it is.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 1:47 am

That I'm an aspie is a big part of why I can be prone to being swayed by progressive thinking. I may be straight, white and male, but at the end of the day I'm still part of an alternate and very much marginalized demographic. I think the character Ramona from 2064: Read Only Memories exemplifies my view on the subject of progressivism vs anti-progressivism. That doesn't mean I'm alt-left though. I'm actually centre-left, and swing right on some issues, and I think both SJWs and anti-SJWs are part of the problem in the current, irritating, political climate that I wish I could just ignore.

I think activism is a great idea, but it's very easy to fall into the trap of becoming obnoxious and putting on a set of blinders. Case in point, if you hear the anti-SJWs talk you'll find they're a group who are fighting back against a perceived inequality that I don't think is entirely unfounded, but much like the groups they criticize - like the feminists - they are only focused on issues that affect the demographic they are defending while ignoring issues that don't or only focus on aspects of issues that affect said demographic rather than the issues in their entirety. Also, they attach issues of identity to discussions that have nothing to do with identity and it's every bit as obnoxious as when feminists do it. Aspies and auties could try their hand at activism but I refuse to join or show much support for any group that refuses to see the forest for the trees and is insufferable.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2018, 4:03 am

If we can't discuss our grievances here in a safe autistic community, then where?
Venting with like minded sympathetic individuals is cathartic...

Are we making things up?
Reality is real...
Our feelings are real...
We are entitled to validate what we feel and what we observe...

Are we now supposed to be outsiders in a community of outsiders?
Do we once again need to suppress our emotions and meekly accept the dictates an inherently toxic social/cultural system?
Seriously?
Seriously?

Oy wey... 8O

Lintar
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 10:24 pm

Pepe wrote:
Reality is real...

That's from Ayn Rand isn't it? I never could figure out what this statement - "Reality is real" - actually means, because it is completely circular. It doesn't make sense.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 3:10 pm

Almajo88 wrote:
We're treated like ret*ds.

I've barely skimmed this thread, but.....

I agree with your overall message----I was just saying yesterday that I don't want the kids to go without acknowledgement, but I'm tired of being overlooked.

I don't think we get treated AS GOOD as seriously developmentally disabled ("ret*ds"). Part of the problem, the way I see it, is that we're, like, too smart to be ret*ds, and, like, too ret*d to be "smart", sort-of (like a vicious circle)----at least, that seems like what people are thinking, who look down on us. It's just our makeup. I was just saying this yesterday (and many other days), as well----it's very hard for people to understand that "smart" and "stupid" can reside in the same body/brain. My very own aunt has said, to me: "You're so smart----why do you act so stupid"! ! I can't answer that. LOL

I think, in-the-end, the people who treat us like dookey, are the ones with the problem.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 3:17 pm

Lintar wrote:
Almajo88 wrote:

Yes, very true, and I think the next time I apply for a position, even one that I am clearly not even qualified for, I will mention the fact that I am "on the spectrum", and should therefore, in accordance with P.C. guidelines regarding "positive discrimination", be given preference over someone who is en-tee. If they show signs of not complying, I will threaten to sue.

That's how it works now, doesn't it? It would make for an interesting experiment, if nothing else.

Yep----definitely!!

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2018, 3:21 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
I think we need to stop being as cynical as we are. Can we, please?

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
I'd rather stay off the profoundly negative as I get that enough of us are teetering on the brink.

Where else can we safely let-off steam, or have a momentary whine, or whatever? I, for one, don't go-around whining in my everyday, in-person life----so, it's nice t'do it here, once-in-awhile; I can imagine that's how most people do / feel.