someone got in my front stairs and i'm scared now

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 9:14 pm

i live alone in a house on top of a store. the stairs for my house are direct on the street but they have a fence in front of it, but the fence locker just broke a few days ago. next to my house there is a bakery and some homeless-drug using people often go there to ask for bread, today (just a couple of minutes ago) a woman just got on my stairs and start to knock direct on my door and I was in the room direct to the stairs and with the windows open and she was screaming and I told her to get out or I would call the police, she went out but I'm really afraid as I live alone and I'm not sure if I trust the police to come to do something if I need. Just for context, I live in Brazil so things here are a bit violent sometimes. Even if nothing happens, I feel really uncomfortable that someone just invaded my space and knocked violented on my door and I feel so bad about it... it was around 11PM. i'm feeling really bad.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 9:16 pm

i'm really nervous i'm not sure if i can sleep??? i feel insecure she can break my door, i guess it's pretty obvious that i live alone

i don't have anyone to call to be with me... i don't have friends here because when i broke my leg and needed people nobody could come i'm sure nobody would care now too.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 9:28 pm

Make sure the door is locked , barricade the door with something if you are that anxious and keep your phone close by.
Anxiety can be a terrible thing and I am sure you are castrophising at the moment but it is just your survival instincts kicking in , I hope you get some sleep and no one else knocks on your door , the threat of the police is usually enough to scare off people , is there any way you can get the fence fixed tomorrow.

All I see is Damnation
Whole worlds gone to hell

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 9:49 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Make sure the door is locked , barricade the door with something if you are that anxious and keep your phone close by.
Anxiety can be a terrible thing and I am sure you are castrophising at the moment but it is just your survival instincts kicking in , I hope you get some sleep and no one else knocks on your door , the threat of the police is usually enough to scare off people , is there any way you can get the fence fixed tomorrow.

i looked it and put a chair in front of it
i'm trying to distract myself
i'll get it fixed tomorrow

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 9:52 pm

ltcvnzl wrote:
SaveFerris wrote:

i looked it and put a chair in front of it
i'm trying to distract myself
i'll get it fixed tomorrow

You'll be fine , don't let your anxiety take over , distraction is good - meditation , mindfulness etc whatever works for you ( Personally I watch cat videos on youtube )

All I see is Damnation

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 10:25 pm

I'm going to bed now , message back in the morning to let me know your o.k.

All I see is Damnation

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 10:27 pm

I went to organize my drawing material – I needed to do it for a while, it was a good way to distract myself and do something productive. I feel a bit better already. Thank you a lot.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 4:47 am

If someone do break in, a knife near where you are is useful. Preferably near the bed so you can act if you should be awaken during the night.

My sister was in the same situation like you, except she was receiving implicit death threats. I gave her he same advice (and some basic training how to use it to "disable" an attacker quickly).

Even if you call the police, they won't beam into your apartment within 5 seconds, they could have other problems to deal with and it take time to drive to your apartment. You need to be able to defend yourself until then.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 6:31 am

i slept and woke up and everything is fine. i'll check to fix the locker now. i still feel annoyed but i don't think it was a real risk now.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 6:33 am

Would you be able to get a dog? I think having a big dog would give you peace of mind and deter criminals.

ltcvnzl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 6:40 am

Daniel89 wrote:
Would you be able to get a dog? I think having a big dog would give you peace of mind and deter criminals.

no, the space is too small

Temeraire
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 6:53 am

I am glad you are feeling safer now.

Things can look so different in daylight.

SaveFerris
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 9:03 am

ltcvnzl wrote:
i slept and woke up and everything is fine. i'll check to fix the locker now. i still feel annoyed but i don't think it was a real risk now.

Glad it's all good now :)

All I see is Damnation

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 9:17 am

Me too.....

Yokokurama
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

13 Mar 2018, 1:40 pm

Install new locks in the house and possibly invest in some kind of security measure if you're still feeling anxious