Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2018, 10:24 pm

So, I’ve worked myself through 1.5 seasons of the original series. Can anybody understand this series or the point of it? Is it a comedy, a drama? Is it supposed to be understood?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2018, 2:30 am

I got that far to and for some reason didn't get around to finish the second season. I might try watching it again and then checkout the new Season 3 recently produced by Showtime.

I think part of the problem is studio involvement derailed Season 2 or they pressured the director and script writer to more fully reveal the evil spirit Bob. I think the show was meant to be understood but much more gradually, or just enough to let the audience feel progression toward something. It seemed though that was secondary to it being a whole surreal experience.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2018, 9:40 pm

Did you understand what you saw?

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

16 Mar 2018, 3:00 am

I'm not quite sure about the Black Lodge stuff or other side details, but got the main point about what happened with Leland Palmer.

AspieSingleDad
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2018, 3:16 am

Yeah, I definitely got the main plot of the series. I just didn’t get the behavior of many of the actors. They acted so weird and I just didn’t understand why.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 7:29 am

I love Twin Peaks. And I even live close to the real Twin Peaks (Snoqualmie) and have eaten pie at the Double R.

That said, I don't understand a lot of it, which I think is intentional. I think it's meant to be weird and puzzling like a strange dream.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 7:41 am

AspieSingleDad wrote:
Yeah, I definitely got the main plot of the series. I just didn’t get the behavior of many of the actors. They acted so weird and I just didn’t understand why.

One of the strangest aspects of the characters and acting you refer to is it reminds me a lot of the Soap Operas at the time. That is unfortunately one reason I didn't watch Twin Peaks for a long time is because I thought it was a Soap Opera.

I think David Lynch's Mulholland Drive plays with this spectrum of acting style in a similar way in a few scenes, especially between Betty's corning rehearsal and serious audition.

shlaifu
Veteran
Veteran

19 Mar 2018, 5:06 pm

first: finish the second season. Lynch took over again for the last few episodes, and it's just a joy to watch how he turns around the trainwreck the studio has left him with. - it's amazing, how this show has everything in it that can be in a show - even it jumping the shark completely around the mid of the second season.

understanding is a relative thing with lynch. psychoanalysis helps, accepting things works according to dream logic helps. - mulholland drive was meant tobe a pilot for a series, but got rejected. so lynch came back years later and added the last third, in which everything went wrong for the characters - so.... knowing a bit about the production helps. eventually, it ends up in a wonderful, fascinating mess. But I don't think he creates riddles to solve, and the first person to post the solution online wins a pack of his coffee. Things don't work like that, in life, in dreams, and with lynch.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 2:20 am

I absolutely love pretty much everything Lynch. Lost highway is probably my favourite. But then there is blue velvet which I love nearly as much. I couldn’t get into inland empire. I adored the first version of twin peaks. I was a teenager then and it was shown on Swedish tv at some unsociable hour and it would just terrify and excite me to equal measure.

There are always so many layers. I make my mind up about something, like lost highway seems to evolve a lot around the concept of jealousy but then something shifts and you can revisit the whole thing again in a different light. And visually it is so stimulating. My kind of cinema.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 7:06 am

This is the same for me Blue Velvet and Lost Highway. Mulholland Drive annoyed me the way it went in a totally different direction in the middle. And yeah Inland Empire was just too much. Then there's Dune which is one of my favorite movies period.

Along with the original Twin Peaks I really like the Twin Peaks movie Fire Walk With Me. Lots of anything Lynch makes no sense to me but I am drawn to it nonetheless.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

03 Apr 2018, 10:03 am

EzraS wrote:
This is the same for me Blue Velvet and Lost Highway. Mulholland Drive annoyed me the way it went in a totally different direction in the middle. And yeah Inland Empire was just too much. Then there's Dune which is one of my favorite movies period.

Along with the original Twin Peaks I really like the Twin Peaks movie Fire Walk With Me. Lots of anything Lynch makes no sense to me but I am drawn to it nonetheless.

For me there are just so many perfect moments in lost highway. Like the whole idea of the videotapes. That is so freaky and spooky. Then the phone call at the party. The soundstrack is amazing too.

I am not sure why mulholland drive didn't quite wow me in the same way. I do love the bit in the theatre. I guess I was less interested in the ideas in that movie and I think, like you, I found the story arc a bit all over the place and if was just less visually stimulating than lost highway.

I have to rewatch Dune. I saw it once ages ago. Did you watch eraserhead?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 7:53 am

elsapelsa wrote:
EzraS wrote:

For me there are just so many perfect moments in lost highway. Like the whole idea of the videotapes. That is so freaky and spooky. Then the phone call at the party. The soundstrack is amazing too.

I am not sure why mulholland drive didn't quite wow me in the same way. I do love the bit in the theatre. I guess I was less interested in the ideas in that movie and I think, like you, I found the story arc a bit all over the place and if was just less visually stimulating than lost highway.

I have to rewatch Dune. I saw it once ages ago. Did you watch eraserhead?

I liked some of the scenes in Mulholland drive. Like the Winky's diner scene. The two brothers at the board meeting. And the director's conversation with the cowboy.

For lost highway in addition to what you mentioned, I liked the tailgater scene.

Yes I watched Eraserhead. And the elephant man.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2018, 4:59 pm

I don't remember much of it, but I started watching it back then. It started out interesting, then it turned completely incomprehensible. I stopped watching. No idea what it was about.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 7:25 am

Skilpadde wrote:
I don't remember much of it, but I started watching it back then. It started out interesting, then it turned completely incomprehensible. I stopped watching. No idea what it was about.

Totally unrelated, but finally realised your name is "skoldpadda." Are you Norwegian? Norway is so beautiful. I went diving there. Amazing underwater scenery...

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 7:45 pm

elsapelsa wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

Totally unrelated, but finally realised your name is "skoldpadda." Are you Norwegian? Norway is so beautiful. I went diving there. Amazing underwater scenery...

Skilpadde is the Norwegian form of sköldpadda, and yes, I am Norwegian :)
I've never dived, but I imagine one can see some breathtaking sights.... I would love to meet a sea turtle that way

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2018, 12:40 am

Skilpadde wrote:
elsapelsa wrote:
Skilpadde wrote:

Skilpadde is the Norwegian form of sköldpadda, and yes, I am Norwegian :)
I've never dived, but I imagine one can see some breathtaking sights.... I would love to meet a sea turtle that way

I'm half Swedish. I went to Strømsholmen for diving, it was spectacular. Great big kelp forests under the water and amazing wild life. And because of the easy-going fishing laws we could catch our lunch during the morning dive! I always thought I would end up living in Norway. Sadly, I really struggle to understand Norwegian despite being fluent in Swedish which might be why it has taken me 4 months to identify your name as turtle!