Page 1 of 8 [ 121 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

20 Mar 2018, 1:22 pm

Lately, as I ruminate on past social experiences/interactions and my own philosophical way of life, I've found myself questioning certain aspects of feminism that I've been fed as the unerring truth of the feminists gods

So I thought I would ask other women their views on modern day feminism and what their likes/dislikes are. Whether you're all for it or against it or in-between

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 2:05 pm

Most of the arguments over feminism stem from disagreements or miscommunication about the definition of the word. At its most basic level, feminism is the idea that women are not less than men. Hardly a radical or rage-inducing idea to most intelligent people.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

20 Mar 2018, 2:33 pm

Well I suppose I have kind of mixed feelings. I am not opposed to feminism because it is important that women have equal rights to men and that is really the basis.

However I think some modern day people who call themselves 'feminists' have taken some of the ideas to an extreme level, like I've seen a couple things about feminists posting blogs about how men aren't necessary and might as well be eliminated from society over time. Or it seems like some would like to see men pay for the past, like they would be fine seeing men as second class citizens. So its seems some have twisted it into something kind of ugly like instead of it being about equal rights its about eliminating or oppressing men out of revenge. But I suspect those sort of ideas are a minority within the over-all movement.

Also I find it pretty cool that it seems like in the middle east...there is a bit of feminism picking up there. Like women are sick of the oppression and starting to speak out about it. A woman was even recently arrested in Iran I think for removing her hijab in protest. Basically it kind of mimics the historical feminist movement here, not really mimics...like they aren't copying it, but its similar and I can only imagine it will continue gaining momentum as time goes on.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 7:14 am

I didn't grow up in this culture so I'm a bit unfamiliar with feminism. I personally think we're going backwards, as being/looking feminine seems so important right now. Girls spend all the time and money on looking beautiful/sexy. I've met some women who don't coat themselves in makeups and I think their natural looks are just fine.

Fireblossom
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 10:40 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well I suppose I have kind of mixed feelings. I am not opposed to feminism because it is important that women have equal rights to men and that is really the basis.

However I think some modern day people who call themselves 'feminists' have taken some of the ideas to an extreme level, like I've seen a couple things about feminists posting blogs about how men aren't necessary and might as well be eliminated from society over time. Or it seems like some would like to see men pay for the past, like they would be fine seeing men as second class citizens. So its seems some have twisted it into something kind of ugly like instead of it being about equal rights its about eliminating or oppressing men out of revenge. But I suspect those sort of ideas are a minority within the over-all movement.

Also I find it pretty cool that it seems like in the middle east...there is a bit of feminism picking up there. Like women are sick of the oppression and starting to speak out about it. A woman was even recently arrested in Iran I think for removing her hijab in protest. Basically it kind of mimics the historical feminist movement here, not really mimics...like they aren't copying it, but its similar and I can only imagine it will continue gaining momentum as time goes on.

Yup yup, I don't really have anything to add to this. Shortly: feminism as an idea is good, its reputation these days and some forms of it aren't.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 11:40 am

YippySkippy wrote:
Most of the arguments over feminism stem from disagreements or miscommunication about the definition of the word. At its most basic level, feminism is the idea that women are not less than men. Hardly a radical or rage-inducing idea to most intelligent people.

Guy I once worked for was married to a woman lawyer who became pretty successful in local politics. He had a bumper sticker on his car which read: Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

About sums it up as far as I am concerned.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 1:41 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
YippySkippy wrote:

Guy I once worked for was married to a woman lawyer who became pretty successful in local politics. He had a bumper sticker on his car which read: Feminism is the radical notion that women are people.

About sums it up as far as I am concerned.

Agree.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 2:48 pm

I am so glad to have been born now instead of in my mums time, and she feels the same in relation to her mothers time, the progress made is what I appreciate most about feminism.
I have mixed feelings about the more extreme branches of feminism though I believe them to be a loud minority.
For me it is about equality, regardless of gender, men are our equals, and not less than us based on the way things were/wrongs of the past.
I don't believe women need to be a protected class within the context of progressive countries... it feels disempowering and seems too similar to needing a white knight.

Nira
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Mar 2018, 5:36 am

I grew up in a traditional family, where my parents excepted that I will be like other girls. But i am not. I saw diferences in their behavior to me as a girl and didn't underestand why and some my interests was not supported because it was not girl interests. I think it is wrong to young girl buy only dolls and dress them up in rose color because this is expected from girls and ignore her wishes, if she feel it differently.

But nothing must exaggerate. English does not distinguish gender in a lot of words (colleague, programmer), but in my language yes. When I read job offers and in job title is some word from english language converted too in female gender, sometimes look it very stupid. I really don't feel discrimate, when i read job title only in masculine, it does not limit me in reply.

adoylelb90815
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

02 Apr 2018, 9:13 pm

I agree with the bumper sticker, "Feminism is the radical idea that women are people." I feel that women are the equals of men, and neither gender is superior.

bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 1:11 am

I'm a humanist. I believe in the equality and rights of all people.

Feminism is tricky because the concept can get twisted. Radical feminists are misandrists and I do not approve of them at all.

Amity
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 2:01 pm

bunnyb wrote:
I'm a humanist. I believe in the equality and rights of all people.

Feminism is tricky because the concept can get twisted. Radical feminists are misandrists and I do not approve of them at all.

:) I like your perspective.

Goldilocks
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Apr 2018, 1:51 pm

Thank you for your replies everyone!

It seems a lot of women on WP are feminists, even if they don't personally identify as such but how they live their lives and defend themselves (there's quite a bit of misogyny on here too at times) and so I have found this forum helpful.

I think, like someone already mentioned, I became disillusioned with feminism for a short period because of misandrists. At first misandry was a light joke which would quickly be dismissed as such but soon, amongst certain circles it became the centre of their attention, which to me just seems defeatist

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 2:07 pm

I’m kinda sick of how it gets talked about all the time but nobody really does anything about it.

TV adverts talking about how women are tough too, really get on my nerves. It is overcompensating and a bit patronizing.

I remember when they said it was sexist for male drivers to pay extra car insurance. It wasn’t sexist, it was based on actual statistics.

I think everybody relies on the people at the top too much to change their habits and POV, so nothing ever really changes.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:02 pm

I dislike it whenever the concept of feminism is used to tell women what we can't do - we can't wear high heels, we can't be at-home parents, we can't use the word "pretty", etc. Feminism should free women to be ourselves and make our own life choices, not replace an old set of societal rules with a new one.

smudge
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:48 pm

YippySkippy wrote:
I dislike it whenever the concept of feminism is used to tell women what we can't do - we can't wear high heels, we can't be at-home parents, we can't use the word "pretty", etc. Feminism should free women to be ourselves and make our own life choices, not replace an old set of societal rules with a new one.

Yeh, that stay-at-home mum thing seems a bit backwards...not the idea of it, but that people are against it these days, I don’t get that. I think both parents working must be stressful, up to them if they want to do it, and eh, great if they can work it out and all be a happy family. But people judging mothers for not working, I think that’s unfair.

I actually can’t wear high heels! :)

I like being called pretty.