If you think shooter games cause gun violence, read this.

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2018, 11:40 am

https://www.polygon.com/2018/3/21/17138 ... al-reality

This article was written by a former U.S. marine who went to boot camp and served in the middle east. He also has a great amount of experience with shooter videogames, such as Doom and Halo.

I don't usually post about these sorts of things, but I'm sharing this because the people who need to read it most aren't going to find it themselves.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 12:46 pm

You're telling me people actually think first person shooter games train you to shoot accurately...

Yeah sure, just like driving video games actually teach you how to drive.... :roll:

coalminer
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Mar 2018, 12:57 pm

Sweetleaf,

Yes, I agree that it's ridiculous. I'm hoping this article will end this "debate" once and for all.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 1:00 pm

fortunately it doesn't seem very many people are arguing that anymore.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 1:47 pm

"Concerned Parent" Logic: Video games and angry music cause violence! ... but the Old Testament has never caused violence ... and violence is okay when the US military does it ... and the violence in The Passion of the Christ was okay.

Do "concerned parents" oppose Call of Duty? Call of Duty is a violent video game, but you shoot Islamic terrorists. Shouldn't that be okay?

Perhaps "concerned parents" would approve of CoD if it had Agent Orange in it.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 2:06 pm

"concerned parents" approve of anything they grew up with but disapprove of anything that's new to them.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 2:22 pm

The scapegoating never ends. People used to be scared of Dungeons & Dragons lol.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 3:37 pm

Concerned parents are the ones who buy their kids games they are legally old enough to buy.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 3:56 pm

coalminer wrote:
Sweetleaf,

Yes, I agree that it's ridiculous. I'm hoping this article will end this "debate" once and for all.

Fat chance. When people want to believe something, showing them contradicting evidence will only strengthen their belief.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2018, 5:35 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Fat chance. When people want to believe something, showing them contradicting evidence will only strengthen their belief.

If they are emotionalists...who embrace confirmation bias...
Rationalists will look at the facts and assimilate the evidence...
Resistance is futile...

The trouble is, there are a lot more emotionalists in the world...

BTW, it is isn't politically correct to call "chance" fat...
Please substitute the term: "weight challenged"... :mrgreen:

Chummy
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 1:40 am

I guess the only way shooter games CAN make you a better soldier is by sharpening your reflexes, reactions and attention to detail which is important for a combat soldier. I agree that you can't learn to shoot a weapon based off DOOM it's stupid.

You can't learn by watching.

As proof, do you know how to operate a vehicle by watching your mom drive? NO.

But those games DO have the risk of causing addiction. And may peak the interest in guns. If you play Vgames 24/7 IE and you become reclusive and develop mental issues, and suddenly you are interested in guns cause you learned about them from games, then say if you think that guns are just a game its dangerous XD

Tross
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2018, 11:44 am

Shh...the current government and their Oompa Loompa overseer don't listen to logic and reasoning. May the current government be short lived, and I'm not just talking about the buffoon in charge as he's somehow clearly not the only moron. How that's possible I don't know.

Sweetleaf wrote:
You're telling me people actually think first person shooter games train you to shoot accurately...

Yeah sure, just like driving video games actually teach you how to drive.... :roll:
Actually, have you tried driving safely in series like GTA? I think it's actually many times easier to safely drive a real car, which I do everyday, yet somehow can't do the same in an alarming number of videogames.