Page 1 of 3 [ 37 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:52 pm

I keep hearing about this on tumblr how one can be trans without feeling uncomfortable with their body that is the opposite gender that doesn't match their brain. Or is this Tumblr BS I am reading?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 1:59 pm

I believe they call these people Transtrenders.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2018, 2:09 pm

Pretty much what Daniel89 said. For some people it is cool to be trans or nonbinary because their friends do it.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2018, 5:12 am

League_Girl wrote:
I keep hearing about this on tumblr how one can be trans without feeling uncomfortable with their body that is the opposite gender that doesn't match their brain. Or is this Tumblr BS I am reading?

I don't understand it myself... I tend to favor the definition of transgender meaning that you have dysphoria and/or transition... some would call this "truscum" and there is a whole debate about it in the trans community. I probably wouldn't go so far as to say "kick that kid out of the club for not having dysphoria", but admittedly it does seem like a bit of a mis-match for me.

I think you can be non-binary without being trans or having dysphoria though. That is, someone who identifies that they are a different gender, but they're not really bothered with any of the ways that their body, mind, socialization have manifested itself. That is, they feel that they're already close enough and that they were born non-binary in body, mind, etc. It's a different point of view than mine, but I accept and think it's a valid on.

The word "Transtrender" is just stupid in general though... I don't know why people have to come up with that stuff... the word itself sounds cute too, which makes it worse! lol...

NeilM
Toucan
Toucan

25 Mar 2018, 6:08 pm

I can say that I consider myself to be "trans" but without any gender disphoria. I wrote trans that way because I, at the risk of further confusing you, prefer to use the description gender-fluid. Let me attempt to briefly explain...

I did experience some gender disphoria during my 20s and 30s but when I got to my mid-40s I responded to a need to express my feminine side thru crossdressing. (Amazingly, my wife was accepting of this when I came out to her soon after I began.) The result was that once I was presenting this way on a regular basis, my disphoria went away. I guess it was because I knew I could express that side of myself even tho I had to work and go thru my daily life in male mode.

Furthermore, I can't say have a constant feeling of a gross mismatch between my body (and the genitalia it was given) and my brain. My brain seems to be on some middle ground (between the extremes of M and F) so while most of the time I am content with the genitalia I came with but I have to admit there are times when they just seem to be in the way. Hopefully that provides some foundation for gender-fluidity and lack of gender disphoria.

AQ = 38 MBTI = ISTJ Gender = Non-binary
I strive not to perseverate. You can PM me for more info.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 1:26 pm

Genderfluidity isnt a thing because gender is an artificial sociocultural construct. My definition of trans is basically, you arent happen with your born sex and want to change it. If you are born male and want to crossdress sometimes, you arent "in-between" or "genderfluid" in my opinion but just simply an occasional crossdresser (and thats fine). Also transtrending actually inadvertently reinforces stereotypes and isnt post-gender at all.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 1:35 pm

Aniihya wrote:
Genderfluidity isnt a thing because gender is an artificial sociocultural construct. My definition of trans is basically, you arent happen with your born sex and want to change it. If you are born male and want to crossdress sometimes, you arent "in-between" or "genderfluid" in my opinion but just simply an occasional crossdresser (and thats fine). Also transtrending actually inadvertently reinforces stereotypes and isnt post-gender at all.

Gender is just the same as sex. The far left are trying to redefine it just as they are trying to redefine racism.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 3:12 pm

Aniihya wrote:

Regardless of what gender is... it doesn't make it any less possible that those of us who experience it different do experience it different.

Daniel89 wrote:
Gender is just the same as sex. The far left are trying to redefine it just as they are trying to redefine racism.

Yes because it's certainly political. And I want to raise taxes, take away peoples' guns, force everyone to get healthcare whether they want it or not all because I am gender variant... or wait... nope in fact I hate all of those things :p

I don't know why people are so eager to erase us... can't we just be who we say we are? What impact does it have on your life?

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 3:42 pm

infinitenull wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

Regardless of what gender is... it doesn't make it any less possible that those of us who experience it different do experience it different.

Daniel89 wrote:

Yes because it's certainly political. And I want to raise taxes, take away peoples' guns, force everyone to get healthcare whether they want it or not all because I am gender variant... or wait... nope in fact I hate all of those things :p

I don't know why people are so eager to erase us... can't we just be who we say we are? What impact does it have on your life?

If a man claims to be Jesus and I say he isn't that's not me erasing him.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 6:16 pm

Daniel89 wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

Wrong, on a scientific level gender can refers to the sociopsychological aspect. Which can differ from the sex which is generally the physical part.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232363.php references and citations at bottom of article

PS: Before the 1950s, gender was only used for description of grammar. In 1955 a psychologist and sexologist by the name of John Money used gender to emphasize a distinction from sex. But it first became more common in that usage in the 1970s. So gender was never the same as sex. To equate them as such comes from lack of understanding and education on the topic in the first place.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 1:15 am

Aniihya wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:
Aniihya wrote:

Wrong, on a scientific level gender can refers to the sociopsychological aspect. Which can differ from the sex which is generally the physical part.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/232363.php references and citations at bottom of article

PS: Before the 1950s, gender was only used for description of grammar. In 1955 a psychologist and sexologist by the name of John Money used gender to emphasize a distinction from sex. But it first became more common in that usage in the 1970s. So gender was never the same as sex. To equate them as such comes from lack of understanding and education on the topic in the first place.

Scientists don't get to define the English language either.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 4:56 am

Also language changes. Get over it. Otherwise gay would still mean happy and a lesbian wouldn't refer to a homosexual woman but an inhabitant of Lesbos.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 5:26 am

Aniihya wrote:
Also language changes. Get over it. Otherwise gay would still mean happy and a lesbian wouldn't refer to a homosexual woman but an inhabitant of Lesbos.

Language changes but not through authority. History and how the majority use words is what defines them.

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 5:58 am

Daniel89 wrote:

Irrelevant.

If a group of people claim to follow Jesus, working to influence others to believe that they don't really follow Jesus would be christian erasure.

Use proper corollaries if you're going to argue this way. Then again I doubt that you wanted to use proper corollaries because it would be more difficult to make a rational point.

Daniel89 wrote:
Language changes but not through authority. History and how the majority use words is what defines them.

Not the majority, just significant usage, especially within academia. You cant redefine how language changes just because you have certain beliefs either :)

have fun being whatever it is you're being.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:02 am

infinitenull wrote:
Daniel89 wrote:

Irrelevant.

If a group of people claim to follow Jesus, working to influence others to believe that they don't really follow Jesus would be christian erasure.

Use proper corollaries if you're going to argue this way. Then again I doubt that you wanted to use proper corollaries because it would be more difficult to make a rational point.

Daniel89 wrote:

Not the majority, just significant usage, especially within academia. You cant redefine how language changes just because you have certain beliefs either :)

have fun being whatever it is you're being.

The whole point being the language hasn't changed the vast majority of people still use gender to mean sex. Just because some politically motivated people are attempting to change the definition does not mean they have.

It is irrational to claim that a man can become a woman or that you can be non binary because of feelings. You biological state is a fact.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 6:37 am

What you mean is that the vast majority of people YOU KNOW, use them synonymously. That is your ignorance speaking, fact of the matter is that America isnt the only country in the world and not even an absolute majority use gender and sex synonymously. In academics, you have to know the distinction for example, not only as a biologist, medical practitioner or psychologist, but also in linguistics. I studied English and linguistics in Germany and even professors in Germany make that distinction in the lineage, grammatical genus etc. But you further contextualize it by saying "körperliches Geschlecht (sex)", "psychisches Geschlecht (gender)", "grammatikalisches Geschlecht (Genus)" and "Adelsgeschlecht (noble lineage)".

Gender coming from word root "gen" originally meant type or kind and was originally highly dependent on context. For example "genre" meant type too, but nowadays it describes types of media or cultural styles for example.

Dont try to justify yourself with ignorance by claiming the majority of people use them synonymously when in reality you are only speaking from personal experience within your environment. A more correct articulation of your opinion would be, "I have never/seldomly heard them not be used synonymously before." or "In my experience, I tend to keep a close circle and we use it this way." That would be fine.