Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

AkaCat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Mar 2018, 3:57 am

I recently moved to a new university to continue my graphic design studies (currently working towards a bachelor degree and I'm in my 3rd year). Six weeks into school I still feel like turning up to every class is just a struggle I feel so unwelcome for no reason. I've tried talking to the school counselor but I don't think she really gets it. She often tries to encourage me to be more social with the people on my campus but I don't really know how to go about that, nor do I really want to? Do I really have to make friends?
It doesn't help that my area of study requires me to interview and talk to other people in order to complete my assignments and I simply don't know how to do that. I think about dropping out basically at least once a day...it's been such a strain on me right now and I'm not sure what to do.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 2:40 am

I assume she sees encouraging you to make friends as a way to make you feel better because she thinks that is what makes people feel better. You do not have to make friends.

Can you specifically ask for help in how to best prepare for and set up your interviews. Can you get some support in practising for them? Are there any accommodations that might help you - could you conduct the interviews via email? If not, can you at least record their answers to transcribe later, that way at least you don't have to focus too much of the answers and getting it all down on the spot but have time to listen through after. If you want any more specific advice on interviews please just ask. I did 80 in depth interviews for my PhD. It didn't come naturally to me either but I made it through.

Whatever you do hang in there. You have come really far. You are in your 3rd year. That is really a huge achievement. Is there any other avenue of support beside the school counsellor?

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 12:26 pm

On trick I wish I knew earlier is to target the range between B+ and A-

This takes so much less time than trying to nail it for a super A+. For example, projects need not be super "inspired." They can merely be technically proficient and per specs according to the assignment. And if the "inspiration" happens to come, that can be as a nice extra or flourish to the project.

PS I believe in lifetime learning! :D