Can you detect Aspie by sheer look out of someone face? :-)

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2018, 11:23 pm

Most people know that Les Messi had Autism and many people suspect Bill Gates the creator of Microsoft the M$$$
that some bad people said that Mr Bill named his company after on of his body part but let's put joke aside (that asperrgerian sense of humor of mine) because today is Monday April 2, 2018, the Autism Awareness Day :-)

As for me, I have a bachelor's degree in library science, and I do not graduate in this field (only BA no master), one of my college mates was an avid skateboarder, he just loved this sport, I never rode a skateboard, he showed me some kid that skatborders consider very gifted, he asked me what I think about him.
I said that the kid certainly has some form of autism, moreover see it yourself :-)
His facial expression speak for himself :-)

He asked me why I thought so, I said, because I have autism myself, and the freak will always detect a freak :-)
He showed than showed my toher skating video with other boy i said that boy look ADHD for me see you self anyway :D

riend than ironized and said using strong language that i will not quite, that perhaps i should not study on faculty of library and information science but on faculty of Psychology!
I said i wish i could because as psychologist i could help a loot of people :-)
BTW could you detect other aspies based only on non verbal sign?

I remember when I talked to a social worker, who helped me, fill in the application for EU funding for training. I asked her if I could make a driving license according to her, would not the doctor have anything against me? I know a few autistic people with a driving license and even once read about what has a pilot and professional license? Many people are prejudiced against such people, watch the Good Doctor tv series to get better picture :-)

She asked me if I do not have the feeling of "otherness" that disabled people often have such feelings, I wanted to tell her of course, it is very difficult for a man to play with morons that seem to be smarter than me when I know they have an IQ level at Ameba level, but I stopped myself, I was reminded of the golden rule that my mother taught me, that is, "if you do not know how to behave, then at least try to be decent": D

I usually feel better among my fellow Aspies, ADHDers, people with mental issue than among so called "normal people"

Happy Autism Awareness Day BTW :mrgreen:

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 1:10 pm

The answer is no.

I can not tell by a couple minutes of video that the skateboarders are on the spectrum. All quality athletes hyperfocus and all quality athletes are not aspies.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 2:02 pm

When I told friends about my diagnosis, I discovered that two of them are also Asperger's diagnosed. I would not have picked them out without them telling me, not by their appearance or behaviour nor anything else.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 3:08 pm

ASPartOfMe wrote:
The answer is no.

I can not tell by a couple minutes of video that the skateboarders are on the spectrum. All quality athletes hyperfocus and all quality athletes are not aspies.

I don't think so :mrgreen:

You said that most of professional athletes are aspie like hyperfocused, but they're not Aspie?

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2018, 3:18 pm

Sometimes I look at people and think they look autistic. It's something about their facial proportions and if they carry themselves in an awkward way. But often I have no way to prove this. And it's happened before that I thought someone looked autistic, but as I got to know them better, that impression disappeared. Besides, not all autistic people look "autistic" to me.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 10:52 am

Not by face but more by behavior I'd say.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 5:56 am

green0star wrote:
Not by face but more by behavior I'd say.

Agree :D

Some quirky, funny walk ripped of from Monty Python so to speak :mrgreen:

I suspected on of my Professor from my university, who tech subject of "Information Science" it wasn't about computer, id rather how to treat information like a good that can be sold, the point that professor,

this professor fully deserved, as no one else deserved, for his professor title, basically the entire staff of my institute was excellent, as well as my entire university but this is a detail :)

I liked to go to lectures of this professor, although he gave the impression of a typical stereotypical absent minded Professor, so popular trope in both books and films, as in this example in "Beautiful Mind" :D I sometimes wondered if this professor has a small form of autism, he is a genius, or both :mrgreen:
But He was my professor and i'm not dared to ask such personal question to him

I once watched very interesting video how Space Shuttles really works, and guy who talked about is a programer and a pilot at NASA when i watched the entire length of that video i thought the he hes 99,999 % an Aspie

Very much like skating kid from link that i post earlier, or my professor from my university, that engineer from NASA is a Space and computer Geek, like me :P

That skating kid geeked out skating and different way of performing skating stunts, my professor geeked out about information economic and data mining how make data analysis and such, that NASA engineer geeked out about space shuttles, i have big fascination about space and computers too.

My point us most of us geeked out about something we have job or hobby, that other consider as wired, obsession or workaholism, but we usually gave s**t what other people thought, and we did what we love :heart:

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 3:18 pm

I would say a fair number of professional athletes have ADHD, but not Aspeger syndrome.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 1:50 am

IstominFan wrote:
I would say a fair number of professional athletes have ADHD, but not Aspeger syndrome.

Agree i know Michael Phelps pro-swimmer have ADHD, but how about pro-gamers or pro-chess players? :D

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 12:34 pm

No. There have been two studies on this... one using a deep mind style AI... there is no "Autistic Look."

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 12:44 pm

Have had aquaintences and coworkers trip the alarms on my "aspie radar" as being possible fellow aspies/auties.

But its always from long term experiencing of their behavior. Never from just looking at them the first time I saw them from some facial feature. We don't have a third eyeball in our foreheads. We just have subtly different behavior that it takes a while for observers to add up and connect dots to see.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 2:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Have had aquaintences and coworkers trip the alarms on my "aspie radar" as being possible fellow aspies/auties.

But its always from long term experiencing of their behavior. Never from just looking at them the first time I saw them from some facial feature. We don't have a third eyeball in our foreheads. We just have subtly different behavior that it takes a while for observers to add up and connect dots to see.

Maybe our pattern of quirky behavior are similar, i'm most certain about Bill Gates, one of my Professor from university, and that skateboarding kid :mrgreen:

Nerd will always detect fellow Nerd :mrgreen:

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2018, 10:43 am

pawelk1986 wrote:

Maybe our pattern of quirky behavior are similar, i'm most certain about Bill Gates, one of my Professor from university, and that skateboarding kid :mrgreen:

a) autism diagnosis cannot be achieved by casual observation. Diagnosis is achieved by direct interaction with the subject. b) If you are not a psychiatric professional, you cannot b sure of someone's mental condition. c) speculation of this nature does not benefit the community as a whole. d) Nerd is not equivalent to autistic spectrum individual.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2018, 4:09 pm

Feralucce wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

a) autism diagnosis cannot be achieved by casual observation. Diagnosis is achieved by direct interaction with the subject. b) If you are not a psychiatric professional, you cannot b sure of someone's mental condition. c) speculation of this nature does not benefit the community as a whole. d) Nerd is not equivalent to autistic spectrum individual.

True that guy was self proclaimed Nerd and hardly is call him autistic :D

Feralucce
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 10:17 pm

I know quite a few non-nerdy autistics.

The point, however, is moot. There is no autistic look.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

16 Apr 2018, 10:36 pm

Autistic people all look different so I can't tell just by looking is someone is aspie. I have no "aspie radar" or whatever. There are no real physical characteristics that set us apart from NTs, no matter how much they think there are, and tell us "you don't look autistic". Well you don't look like a moron, and yet here we are. :twisted:

I have heard we're supposed to took younger and more innocent or attractive, but anyone can look that way. At least it sounds more positive than saying we look like a serial killer or someone severely intellectually disabled.