Beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Page 1 of 8 [ 106 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 8  Next

white_as_snow
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

User avatar

Joined: 2 Dec 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 479

02 Apr 2018, 7:21 pm

why do people keep saying that?

fact is that some people are ugly in all eyes. some people are so ugly that nobody will ever want them.



kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 Feb 2014
Gender: Male
Posts: 65,936
Location: Queens, NYC

02 Apr 2018, 7:27 pm

Very, very few people are so ugly that NO ONE would "want" them.

I haven't seen such an "ugly" person here on WrongPlanet.



yellowtamarin
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 5 Sep 2010
Gender: Female
Posts: 3,860
Location: Australia

02 Apr 2018, 8:35 pm

That doesn't make the phrase incorrect. Just, not very useful to someone that ugly (if such a person exists).



bunnyb
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 3 Mar 2016
Gender: Female
Posts: 589
Location: Australia

02 Apr 2018, 11:56 pm

Yeah, Stephen Hawking was such a drop dead gorgeous guy, explains why he got married twice....

But seriously, why do so many guys on here seem to think beauty can only be an external thing? Someone was bragging the other day that they get dates with models like it was a measure how successful they were with women. Obviously appearance is majorly important to that person which possibly explains why he's still single.
Haven't you ever met someone with a beautiful mind? If all you see is the external and base your assessments of a person on something like that, it's pretty sad.


_________________
I have a piece of paper that says ASD Level 2 so it must be true.


blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,952

03 Apr 2018, 12:06 am

I was told by many many people, when I was married, that my XH was ugly, yet I found him the most gorgeous person in the world.

Even now I have to force myself not to think that.

So beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.



blooiejagwa
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Dec 2017
Age: 29
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,952

03 Apr 2018, 12:09 am

white_as_snow wrote:
why do people keep saying that?

fact is that some people are ugly in all eyes. some people are so ugly that nobody will ever want them.


This is not a very useful or beneficial topic in the first place. If you are talking about yourself it is extremely dangerous to put yourself down like this.
If you mean other people, their lives will play out as they are meant to.

It does not mean that everyone finds them ugly.

What do looks contribute?

The ‘handsome’ serial killers such as Paul Bernardo and Ted Bundy definitely seemed like the ugliest people in the world to the victims,
and subsequent to their deaths, to the victims’ loved ones, when those men were caught.



hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Nov 2004
Gender: Female
Posts: 17,774
Location: None

03 Apr 2018, 1:31 am

white_as_snow wrote:
why do people keep saying that?

fact is that some people are ugly in all eyes. some people are so ugly that nobody will ever want them.


Because it’s true. There is so much more to attraction than looks.

Sure, as a society average, some people are more “beautiful” than others, but it’s really not the be all end all.

I’m nit into generic hot men. They just don’t do it for me. A lot of other average women feel the same.



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,931
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

03 Apr 2018, 1:39 am

I am with the OP's side, this saying is stupid and plain untrue. Some people may overlook ugliness, but that doesn't mean that beauty is entirely subjective.



The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2015
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,967
Location: Australia

03 Apr 2018, 1:52 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I am with the OP's side, this saying is stupid and plain untrue. Some people may overlook ugliness, but that doesn't mean that beauty is entirely subjective.

Beauty is not entirely subjective but it is still subjective. There are traits that are widely recognised as beautiful or desirable, and traits widely recognised as ugly or unattractive, but that doesn't mean they're recognised that way across the board. Obviously if you have lots of traits that are widely considered unattractive and they outbalance any attractive traits you have by a large margin, you'll be fighting an uphill battle though. Especially if you desire someone who is beautiful by mainstream standards.



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,931
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

03 Apr 2018, 2:12 am

The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I am with the OP's side, this saying is stupid and plain untrue. Some people may overlook ugliness, but that doesn't mean that beauty is entirely subjective.

Beauty is not entirely subjective but it is still subjective. There are traits that are widely recognised as beautiful or desirable, and traits widely recognised as ugly or unattractive, but that doesn't mean they're recognised that way across the board. Obviously if you have lots of traits that are widely considered unattractive and they outbalance any attractive traits you have by a large margin, you'll be fighting an uphill battle though. Especially if you desire someone who is beautiful by mainstream standards.


That's exactly what I am saying, therefore the saying is stupid.



Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 23 Dec 2015
Age: 120
Posts: 1,940

03 Apr 2018, 2:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Very, very few people are so ugly that NO ONE would "want" them.

I haven't seen such an "ugly" person here on WrongPlanet.


You're not paying much attention then. We're here.



Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 22 Apr 2010
Age: 40
Gender: Female
Posts: 8,698

03 Apr 2018, 2:40 am

white_as_snow wrote:
why do people keep saying that?

fact is that some people are ugly in all eyes. some people are so ugly that nobody will ever want them.


I actually don't often think someone is ugly. At least not the sense that I think "Wow, that person is ugly!"
People who strike me as particularly ugly are in the minority, and in most instances, I will find something aesthetically redeeming in them.

For example, "Mama June" infamous mother of "Honey Boo Boo" was not the most aesthetically pleasing woman in the world. However I could tell that she had a good bone structure and thought she would be quite nice looking if she lost weight.

She did, and she went from this...

Image

To this...
Image

Not bad.



The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2015
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,967
Location: Australia

03 Apr 2018, 3:28 am

To be fair though, I think people's level of physical attractiveness is more malleable than some might think. There are things that are unchangeable of course like height and things along those lines, but I think for most people, maintaining a healthy physique and developing a sense of style and confidence is generally enough for them to be considered attractive by at least some people's standards.



The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 16 Jun 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 28,931
Location: Beirut, Lebanon.

03 Apr 2018, 3:35 am

Then you ladies should stop using any make-up or cosmetics if it's really the case.



The Grand Inquisitor
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 9 Aug 2015
Age: 23
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,967
Location: Australia

03 Apr 2018, 3:39 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
The Grand Inquisitor wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
I am with the OP's side, this saying is stupid and plain untrue. Some people may overlook ugliness, but that doesn't mean that beauty is entirely subjective.

Beauty is not entirely subjective but it is still subjective. There are traits that are widely recognised as beautiful or desirable, and traits widely recognised as ugly or unattractive, but that doesn't mean they're recognised that way across the board. Obviously if you have lots of traits that are widely considered unattractive and they outbalance any attractive traits you have by a large margin, you'll be fighting an uphill battle though. Especially if you desire someone who is beautiful by mainstream standards.


That's exactly what I am saying, therefore the saying is stupid.

It does have some truth to it depending on the attributed being referred to. Where there is divisiveness among people ie with hair colour, eye colour, skin tone, tattoos/piercings, the saying rings true, but if we're talking about things along the lines of height, size, crooked teeth, etc it's less subjective and therefore less applicable