Yes 40%  40%  [ 21 ]
No 60%  60%  [ 31 ]
Total votes : 52

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 1:35 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
All that said, the truth is computers in general are dumbing down the population. I was talking to my friend's nephew a few weeks back, he was on spring break from college where he's getting a degree in engineering. So I joked: "College, the good times, I miss practicing differential equations." He looked at me dumbfounded. So I probed a bit further, and he had no idea what a differential equation was, then he pulled out his smartphone and asked which symbol it was on his scientific calculator app. He also explained to me he doesn't need to know how to do one, or how it works, that's what they invented scientific calculators for...He graduates this year with his degree, when I heard that I wanted to cry.

What KIND of engineering was he majoring in?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2018, 1:59 pm

sly279 wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:
sly279 wrote:
cberg wrote:
My issue is that Apple is often unappreciative of their customers & takes advantage of developers.

That’s basically all companies. Most have poor customer service especially when they successful. Sony treats people like s**t now that they ahead of Xbox

Sony acted like arrogant jerks the previous time they were ahead of Xbox too.

And miicrosoft treated people crappy when they were ahead with the 360, they even thought they were so above they did all that crap with the Xbox one which is why PS4 won.

I wasn't talking about consumer tech there. I was talking about removing the features of a real computer while acting like they're enlightening somebody.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

33leo33
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Dec 2018, 1:12 am

The only thing Apple is really good for is the retina display and the security.

I'll tell you what though... One time I was rendering a 3D animation for my class. To make the process go faster, I separated the render into four different computers, three Macs and one Windows. I noticed that the Windows computer took less than half the time to render the video than all three Macs combined (it took about 6 hours for the three Macs to render the video. 6 hours!)... What. That experience convinced me that Apple is terrible.

Not only that, but if you want to be a 3D artist in particular, you kind of need to have a Windows computer, since the software needed is not available for Mac. This Macbook Pro is probably the most expensive piece of s**t that I made my parents buy for me. I only have this because I thought I was going to pursue graphic design when I was a freshman in college.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 1:18 am

I was under the impression that the serious number crunchers all used UNIX for ultimate efficiency.

evo
Butterfly
Butterfly

01 Dec 2018, 4:19 pm

I think hatred of Apple users would be irrational. I am not an Apple product user nor owner. I think their products are overpriced. I also think that many get the brand because they are hipsters. I don't like the phenomenon of hipsters. I think that too much energy would be expended on hating any of these things. That's my own opinion. However, is it still a truism that Apple isn't a target of vindictive hacking as much as Microsoft based products?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 4:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
I was under the impression that the serious number crunchers all used UNIX for ultimate efficiency.

It's all a matter of how much computing hardware is required & how close a given user needs be to the code that comprises their required applications or 'workflows'. The most serious number crunching largely takes place outside any particular operating system; one might use UNIX, PC, Mac or Linux to access the same computing cluster(s). My screensaver is part of SETI@home - the world's largest decentralized supercomputer. My part of that just runs on a cheap Windows machine, though I usually study code or play around using Linux. Most of my 3D graphics & CAD work happens on Windows but that also doesn't mean all the files & data have to live there forever.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2018, 4:28 pm

evo wrote:
Is it still a truism that Apple isn't a target of vindictive hacking as much as Microsoft based products?

No.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2018, 6:22 am

cberg wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

It's all a matter of how much computing hardware is required & how close a given user needs be to the code that comprises their required applications or 'workflows'. The most serious number crunching largely takes place outside any particular operating system; one might use UNIX, PC, Mac or Linux to access the same computing cluster(s). My screensaver is part of SETI@home - the world's largest decentralized supercomputer. My part of that just runs on a cheap Windows machine, though I usually study code or play around using Linux. Most of my 3D graphics & CAD work happens on Windows but that also doesn't mean all the files & data have to live there forever.

isn't UNIX the most powerful and bug-proof?

33leo33
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Dec 2018, 1:47 am

evo wrote:
I think hatred of Apple users would be irrational. I am not an Apple product user nor owner. I think their products are overpriced. I also think that many get the brand because they are hipsters. I don't like the phenomenon of hipsters. I think that too much energy would be expended on hating any of these things. That's my own opinion. However, is it still a truism that Apple isn't a target of vindictive hacking as much as Microsoft based products?

I wouldn't consider Apple products "hipster", since it's a very well-known brand at this point. Maybe "rich" is a better term, since these products are not cheap, and a lot of the people who buy the latest and greatest in Apple products can afford to buy a new phone every year. Because let's be real, the only reason why most of us have iPhones is because they started handing them out for free in 2012 and got us hooked on them.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 3:24 am

Myself and every developer at my job all hate Apple.

It’s a showy device for showy people, it’s functionality is no better than its rivals that are half the cost.

I bought one to see what all the fuss was about, and was extremely disappointed. It was of tinny quality and the operating system is full of bugs, plus the usability is poor.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

20 Dec 2018, 3:48 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
All that said, the truth is computers in general are dumbing down the population. I was talking to my friend's nephew a few weeks back, he was on spring break from college where he's getting a degree in engineering. So I joked: "College, the good times, I miss practicing differential equations." He looked at me dumbfounded. So I probed a bit further, and he had no idea what a differential equation was, then he pulled out his smartphone and asked which symbol it was on his scientific calculator app. He also explained to me he doesn't need to know how to do one, or how it works, that's what they invented scientific calculators for...He graduates this year with his degree, when I heard that I wanted to cry.

What KIND of engineering was he majoring in?

Manufacturing engineering if I remember correctly, and yeah differential equations probably aren't a big part of the discipline, but you'd think he'd have taken at least one class in a STEM field that describes them, at least enough to know what I was talking about, as opposed to responding like I was talking a foreign language. I can understand that with a layman, but someone that's a year from graduating college at a major university is completely unacceptable.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:34 am

33leo33 wrote:
The only thing Apple is really good for is the retina display and the security.
The Retina display on the iPhone and Mac is good but their claim to have "invented" the Retina display is laughable. Retina is marketing term, not a new technology. It's like the time Sega claimed to have invented Blast P]processing.

Retina started with the iPhone 4. They jumped from 480 * 360 to 960 * 640. I believe at the time that was the highest resolution ever seen in a phone. Phone resolutions had been creeping up gradually prior to the iPhone 4 and they continued to gradually increase after the iPhone 4.

Rather than a new technology the iPhone 4 Retina display was merely a stepping stone, one of many. Sort of like how the Chrysler Building was briefly the tallest building in the world before it was surpassed by the Empire State Building.

I remember the launch of the iPhone 6. Tim Cook described the 1920 * 1080 resolution (available only on the Plus version) as an extraordinary resolution even though by that point 1920 * 1080 had already been in use on Android for a number of and 2560 * 1440 was becoming the standard for Android smartphones.

It doesn't matter to Apple if they have lower specs than the competition. They can just say they have high specs without making any actual comparisons (this is the reason Apple keynotes never make comparisons with other brands, other brands would thrash them).

Now the iPhone finally has OLED (nearly a decade after Samsung phones got them). The iPhone X and XS have OLED and and the iPhone XR has LCD. But Apple don't call them that, being Apple they have to come up with ridiculous names for them.

Apple calls the OLED used on their iPhone X and XS "Super Retina" and they call the LCD used on their iPhone XR "Liquid Retina". Those names are meaningless! It's Blast processing all over again! Does Apple really think the sort of people who buy iPhones won't know that the liquid in "Liquid Retina" refers to LCD?

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 7:41 am

Hey, try getting a Blackberry, that'll cure it, Blackberry sucks.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

21 Dec 2018, 9:37 am

RetroGamer87 wrote:
Apple calls the OLED used on their iPhone X and XS "Super Retina" and they call the LCD used on their iPhone XR "Liquid Retina". Those names are meaningless! It's Blast processing all over again! Does Apple really think the sort of people who buy iPhones won't know that the liquid in "Liquid Retina" refers to LCD?

Yep, and they're not wrong to be honest. For every person like you and I that research a product before we buy it there are 100 more that do not. I've noticed your sentiment here a few times over the years from other autistics: it seems a lot of us purchase a product because there's some feature we like, it's superior tech, etc, but a lot of NT's don't buy a product because of those issues, they buy it because their friends have it thus they need it to fit in.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 8:26 am

Aristophanes wrote:
RetroGamer87 wrote:

Yep, and they're not wrong to be honest. For every person like you and I that research a product before we buy it there are 100 more that do not. I've noticed your sentiment here a few times over the years from other autistics: it seems a lot of us purchase a product because there's some feature we like, it's superior tech, etc, but a lot of NT's don't buy a product because of those issues, they buy it because their friends have it thus they need it to fit in.

Hey yeah. I've noticed a lot of times cliques will all use the same brand. There's my girlfriend's friends who all have iPhones, there's the boys I knew in high school who all had Xbox's, the guys at Kung Fu all use AMD, etc.

RetroGamer87
Veteran
Veteran

26 Dec 2018, 8:44 am

domineekee wrote:
Hey, try getting a Blackberry, that'll cure it, Blackberry sucks.

BlackBerrys are awesome! I'm typing this on a BlackBerry Key2 right now!