Help with traffic noise, any advice or ideas?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

04 Apr 2018, 7:37 pm

I live next to a busy street and at the moment that seems to be the biggest thing holding me back from doing anything(seriously, haven't been out in months...) I tried noise cancelling headphones but they feel uncomfortable at times and they make it feel hotter when walking.

I thought about trying earplugs but I'm afraid I won't be able to hear anything and I know you have to be alert when walking down the street. Taking them in and out of my ears would also be annoying as well.

I'm thinking of buying earbuds that go inside my ears but I don't know how they are going to feel or whether or not they will work any better than the headphones. I guess I won't know until I try.

Anyone else has any other ideas. I'm ready to get the F*Bleeeeep* out my house!

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2018, 3:37 pm

I wonder what made you move there in the first place. :?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

LesMiserabby
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Apr 2018, 4:31 pm

I use earbuds all the time. There are ones you can get that have rubber rather than the hard plastic and I don't find them uncomfortable at all. Hope that helps.

apus apus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Apr 2018, 4:39 pm

AquaineBay wrote:
I live next to a busy street and at the moment that seems to be the biggest thing holding me back from doing anything(seriously, haven't been out in months...) I tried noise cancelling headphones but they feel uncomfortable at times and they make it feel hotter when walking.

I thought about trying earplugs but I'm afraid I won't be able to hear anything and I know you have to be alert when walking down the street. Taking them in and out of my ears would also be annoying as well.

I'm thinking of buying earbuds that go inside my ears but I don't know how they are going to feel or whether or not they will work any better than the headphones. I guess I won't know until I try.

Anyone else has any other ideas. I'm ready to get the F*Bleeeeep* out my house!

Earbuds should be ok. Try them, they won't cancel all the noise, there's too much noise for them to cancel it all.

AquaineBay
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2018, 3:47 pm

League_Girl wrote:
I wonder what made you move there in the first place. :?

The house we(me, my brother, and my mother.) were living in before was starting to have a lot of problems and so we had to leave.
There really wasn't much time to really look around and get a feel for the area before moving so we didn't really have a chance to check out every option. This was also right after I graduated high school so I also wasn't expecting it at all.

I think we might actually be able to move if we wanted to but the area we're in now is also very convenient for my mother. She had a stroke before which weakened her(luckily she was still able to do many things she was able to do before, though it's starting to get worse.) and she now also has COPD. This place has caused me much depression and my constipation is worse now on top of my anxiety and sensory issues.

I'm on SSI and my mother is also dependent on me so if I move she would have to come with me(and so do my brother as well). Problem is, if I choose a place it probably wouldn't be anywhere near as convenient for her so then she would be stuck out. So I feel stuck, I feel like I have to just drop all my problems altogether(I can't take baby steps because everything that's causing me problems is right where I live.) or move but then possibly put my mother in the position I'm in right now! I want to start doing more but I can't take all of the problems with extra stuff at the same time. :(

"God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change,
Courage to change the things I can,
and Wisdom to know the difference."

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2018, 2:59 pm

I use SureFire Filtered Ear Plugs almost everyday and they are very comfortable. They will block out harmful noise, but still allow safe sound levels to flow through (only slightly reduced). I can still hear people talking in a normal voice nearby and stuff like horns, only not as sharp.

Next option for music and still comfortable for walking around outside is Bose Noise Canceling Ear Phones.