Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Zachwashere
Raven
Raven

19 Apr 2018, 8:54 am

I was diagnosed with PTSD about a year and a half ago and I decided that I was going to get a service dog. I picked out this adorable little basset hound mix that was only six weeks old at the time and named it mega. It took over a year of hard work but we finally got him certified and life has been easier with him by far.

What got me thinking about this subject is that I've been going through cognitive processing therapy for the PTSD and my symptoms are almost non-existent now(thank God). It made me realize, though, how much I depend on Mega for other support with my AS.

For instance, sometimes I just need to be alone. I don't want to be alone(most of the time) but the world with all of it's sights and sounds gets to be to much from time to time. I'm not sure how to describe it but having him with me during thoughs times makes things easier, even if he's just asleep on the couch.

So, my question is: does anyone else have a serive animal for their ASD? If so, how does that help you in your day to day life?

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 11:50 am

I'd like to get a service dog for autism, just so I could have company at night. I live in an apartment complex that doesn't allow pets.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

19 Apr 2018, 6:40 pm

I wish, and also a service mini pony!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

21 Apr 2018, 8:12 pm

I don't have a service animal but I know of people who do. One Autistic girl has a dog and he keeps her from wandering off. He also calms her when she is close to meltdown point and he removes her from situations that he knows will overstimulate her. He also lays on her and provides deep pressure when she needs it. And he acts like a kind of babysitter to keep her out of trouble. I would love to have a service dog or mini horse but I can't afford one. I would also love a cat. I grew up with cats and they really helped me. As a kid my cats were my best friends and they really helped me relax and they helped take away a lot of stress and anxiety. My rabbits did too. But I can't afford any animals right now.

Wreck It Ralph

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

22 Apr 2018, 3:16 am

My country of Canada does have several organizations that offer Autism Service Dogs for primarily children but it is difficult to find an organization to get one for adult Autistics like myself. Even for children in Canada the backlog is extremely huge and waiting periods are up to 2 years now. But the acceptance for service dogs for Autistic persons is growing exponentially in Canada so hopefully this backlog won't last forever.

The cool thing in Canada is that Autism service dogs are treated with the same regard and privilege that guide dogs for the blind are. And I've seen several people walk around in malls that are Autistic with service dogs and also in restaurants.

If any business in Canada refuses service to someone with an Autism service dog or refuses to allow the animal on the premises then that business receives a hefty $3,000 fine from the government.

I have Asperger's Syndrome as well as Post-traumatic Stress Sisorder, Bipolar Disorder, Generalized Anxiety Disorder, Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and Obsessive Compulsive Disorder so getting a service dog for me should be relatively painless although I'm still dealing with the wait times and how I'm going to handle that situation at work

I know that Autism service dogs can be trained to prevent you from self-harm which is something I have always struggled with my entire life so that and simply having the company of a sweet yellow Labrador around me all the time would do wonders for my anxiety and overall mood.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)