what things do you think SHOULD have been invented

Page 6 of 7 [ 96 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next


what things do you want somebody to invent?
a perpetual motion machine :bounce: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
antigravity boots :bounce: 8%  8%  [ 7 ]
noiseless chainsaws :idea: 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
self-tying shoes :idea: 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
a real holodeck :idea: 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
compact warp drive :idea: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
holographic surround sound in a box :idea: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
real flying magic carpets :idea: 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
safe personal jetpacks :idea: 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
real hoverboard :idea: 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
calorie-free cholesterol-free fat :chef: 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
a pill that does away with dookie :idea: 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
a brain amplifier :idea: 6%  6%  [ 5 ]
star-trek-style food replicator :chef: 7%  7%  [ 6 ]
machine that kills earthquakes and storms :idea: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
real androids :idea: 3%  3%  [ 3 ]
intelligent sexbots :bounce: 5%  5%  [ 4 ]
phonograph record optical scanner :idea: 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
machine that automatically heals all disease :idea: 11%  11%  [ 10 ]
portable houses :idea: 2%  2%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 88

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2018
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,543
Location: The 13th Floor

24 Mar 2019, 11:53 pm

Wolfram87 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The oceans are not 60,000 miles deep. This could only happen on Jupiter or Saturn.

A league is three miles.


Which is why 20.000 leagues refers to distance, not depth.

How come it says under the sea?



Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2018
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,543
Location: The 13th Floor

24 Mar 2019, 11:55 pm

Portable computer hard drive. Put it into a computer and you can have everything you downloaded to your computer and take it with you to use on a public computer.



Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2018
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,543
Location: The 13th Floor

25 Mar 2019, 12:02 am

auntblabby wrote:
wearable air conditioning, or electronic clothing that is just a force field of energy that becomes opaque so people don't see your nekkid body.

Doesn't that exist. Air conditioned jackets.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,150
Location: the island of defective toy santas

25 Mar 2019, 12:07 am

^^^where have you seen this?



blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Nov 2017
Age: 65
Gender: Female
Posts: 2,637

25 Mar 2019, 6:45 am

auntblabby wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
I don't know how to do the multiple quotes, but here are some comments:
For mechanical whales see Christopher Moore's "Fluke." Although just that sentence is a bit of a spoiler.
For portable houses: these are called tents. (no offense here to the homeless; I am just an avid wilderness traveler and can live in them for months.) And I truly did not realize that 20,000 leagues under the sea reference distance traveled horizontally and not vertically. Is that the case? Did anyone know how deep the ocean was when Verne wrote that book?
What I personally would settle for now, in terms of inventions, is something that would relieve neurogenic pain.

do you think that TENS would help with your neuropathy?


I get TENS in PT sessions. No idea if it helps or not.


_________________
Eyes that watch the morning star
usually shine brighter,
Arms held out to dark they say,
usually hold tighter.


Threnody, Dorothy Parker
as modified by David Tamulovich


Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Feb 2015
Age: 31
Gender: Male
Posts: 3,153
Location: Sweden

25 Mar 2019, 8:00 am

Dylanperr wrote:
Wolfram87 wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
The oceans are not 60,000 miles deep. This could only happen on Jupiter or Saturn.

A league is three miles.


Which is why 20.000 leagues refers to distance, not depth.

How come it says under the sea?


Because they travel around the world (20.000 leagues) in a submarine i.e. a ship that travels underwater (under the sea).


_________________
I'm bored out of my skull, let's play a different game. Let's pay a visit down below and cast the world in flame.


auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,150
Location: the island of defective toy santas

26 Mar 2019, 6:42 am

blazingstar wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
blazingstar wrote:
I don't know how to do the multiple quotes, but here are some comments:
For mechanical whales see Christopher Moore's "Fluke." Although just that sentence is a bit of a spoiler.
For portable houses: these are called tents. (no offense here to the homeless; I am just an avid wilderness traveler and can live in them for months.) And I truly did not realize that 20,000 leagues under the sea reference distance traveled horizontally and not vertically. Is that the case? Did anyone know how deep the ocean was when Verne wrote that book?
What I personally would settle for now, in terms of inventions, is something that would relieve neurogenic pain.

do you think that TENS would help with your neuropathy?


I get TENS in PT sessions. No idea if it helps or not.

in theory it should help in terms of blocking outright pain. it saved me.



Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2018
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,543
Location: The 13th Floor

03 Sep 2019, 6:54 pm

Instant poutine like for example it is a frozen meal and you can pop it in the microwave very similar to a tv dinner.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,150
Location: the island of defective toy santas

03 Sep 2019, 7:05 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
Instant poutine like for example it is a frozen meal and you can pop it in the microwave very similar to a tv dinner.

below, is a link to half of it-
https://www.amazon.com/St-Hubert-Poutin ... B008MOC11M



Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2018
Age: 15
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,543
Location: The 13th Floor

03 Sep 2019, 7:12 pm

auntblabby wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:
Instant poutine like for example it is a frozen meal and you can pop it in the microwave very similar to a tv dinner.

below, is a link to half of it-
https://www.amazon.com/St-Hubert-Poutin ... B008MOC11M

That is awesome. Merci.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,150
Location: the island of defective toy santas

03 Sep 2019, 7:23 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Dylanperr wrote:
Instant poutine like for example it is a frozen meal and you can pop it in the microwave very similar to a tv dinner.

below, is a link to half of it-
https://www.amazon.com/St-Hubert-Poutin ... B008MOC11M

That is awesome. Merci.

Beaucoup. :mrgreen:



Archmage Arcane
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

Joined: 13 Jun 2019
Age: 59
Gender: Male
Posts: 157
Location: Connecticut, USA

03 Sep 2019, 7:27 pm

Instantaneous transport system using higher-dimensional space. Shortest distance between two points - fold the piece of paper. Makes 'warp drive' unnecessary.



auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 12 Feb 2010
Gender: Male
Posts: 90,150
Location: the island of defective toy santas

03 Sep 2019, 8:32 pm

hmmmmm.... i thought that warp drive was just about folding or warping space.



nick007
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 4 May 2010
Age: 37
Gender: Male
Posts: 22,587
Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont

04 Sep 2019, 11:17 pm

A cure for all vision disorders. Blind people would suddenly have 20/20 vision & people with some colorblindness would suddenly see the full color spectrum that the average person can.


_________________
But I don't want to go among mad people, Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that, said the Cat: we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad.
How do you know I'm mad? said Alice.
You must be, said the Cat, or you wouldn't have come here.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 64
Gender: Male
Posts: 21,696
Location: temperate zone

05 Sep 2019, 1:00 am

blazingstar wrote:
I don't know how to do the multiple quotes, but here are some comments:

For mechanical whales see Christopher Moore's "Fluke." Although just that sentence is a bit of a spoiler.

For portable houses: these are called tents. (no offense here to the homeless; I am just an avid wilderness traveler and can live in them for months.)

And I truly did not realize that 20,000 leagues under the sea reference distance traveled horizontally and not vertically. Is that the case? Did anyone know how deep the ocean was when Verne wrote that book?
.


I was the rare kid who knew that a "league" was three miles. So I was always baffled by the title of that story because it sounds like depth. But I finally deduced that it meant distance. Traveling a distance of 60 thousand miles while under the sea (not diving down 60 thousand miles into an ocean on a planet that's only 8000 miles wide).

Today we have nuclear submarines that can travel 60 thousand miles without surfacing. The nuclear reactors provide the power, and do so without need for refueling. The vessels make their own air supply and water supply out of sea water. The only problem is that the crews run out of food supply before you can go that far.



Last edited by naturalplastic on 05 Sep 2019, 1:04 am, edited 1 time in total.