What types of government do most Autistics like?

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2018
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Posts: 509
Location: New France

26 Apr 2018, 7:40 pm

I want to know?


_________________
Hi I Am A Proud Autistic. Autism Level : Mild-Moderate/Moderate.
Autism Score 48 out of 50.


CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 10 Sep 2009
Age: 47
Gender: Female
Posts: 562
Location: Canada

26 Apr 2018, 10:21 pm

Hmmm. Autistic people are a diverse bunch. Political affiliations are probably diverse too.

I'm non-diagnosed (although I have a fair number of 'traits' and I am a mother of a child diagnosed with PDD-NOS).

I"m Canadian (as you probably gather by my username).

I am a socialist. My political leanings are further left than the US Democratic Party. I'm further to the left than our most left national party (the New Democratic Party). Our current Prime Minister (Justin Trudeau) belongs to the Liberal Party. Our furthest "right" party is the Conservatives (which our past Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, belonged). So we have (from right to left) Conservative, Liberal and New Democrat.

I vote New Democrat - but am more progressive and socially minded than even they are.

I likely developed my political leanings from my family (grandfather was from Sweden, parents were working class and union members). I am a healthcare worker, working primarily in gerontology. I see, first hand, what a life lacking things like education, healthcare, and a healthy environment can affect someone's health and well being in their later years. I support adequately funded public education, universal healthcare and well funded recreation (community centers, libraries, parks, etc). I also support Living Wages and income assistance (such as disAbility assistance and welfare rates) based on Living Wages. I support universal dental and pharmaceutical coverage as well.

I am not sure whether my political opinion would be different if I was not in the Autistic community (either recognizing my traits or advocating for my son). Again, my political leanings are probably more ingrained from family, academic/evidence based research and personal observation.



smudge
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,705
Location: London

26 Apr 2018, 10:45 pm

I would want:

One that regulates housing more in favour of the tenant - rent pricing, housing conditions, tenants’ rights, more secure tenancies, eliminate right to buy in social housing.

I would also introduce categories of housing, like in train carriages where they have quiet and loud carriages. In housing where families reside, place them in an A block. Where quiet people reside, place them in what landlords would usually call accommodation for professionals, and say label that as B housing.

I would also introduce strict regulations on repairs and workmanship, because I can’t believe how much companies and councils are allowed to get away with such cheap and shoddy repairs, in my experience too. Some of it is dangerous.

I would reintroduce all the police, NHS staff and firemen from the cuts. I can’t believe what this government gets away with. Sod CrossRail.

I don’t know how car insurance works, but I don’t understand how uninsured drivers don’t have to pay up anything if an accident happens. That individual should be heavily fined, surely.

Stop giving all the money to the top 1%, cancel Crossrail and give that money to people who actually need it.

Don’t allow big companies to use this country for profit to their own countries while ripping us off e.g. train and utility companies. It’s as if this government doesn’t have a sense of pride for its own country and citizens.

I’m not that politically minded, so that will do for now.

And introduce youth centres to cut crime, and quit sending out NHS nurses “back their countries”, it’s bloody stupid.

Ban TV adverts that make women feel insecure, they’re all designed to, even in the tone of voice used.

Make food companies stop using misused words like “Freshly made”, “Nature” and “Natural” to trick people into thinking their food and snacks are healthy.



BaronHarkonnen85
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

User avatar

Joined: 26 May 2016
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 145
Location: Tennessee

27 Apr 2018, 12:56 pm

Probably AUTocracy. 8)

Seem kinda varied. Many on here seem centre-left.


_________________
--Baron Vladimir Harkonnen
The "Enlightenment" was the work of Satan


Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 1 Jan 2018
Age: 14
Gender: Male
Posts: 509
Location: New France

27 Apr 2018, 2:00 pm

BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
Probably AUTocracy. 8)

Seem kinda varied. Many on here seem centre-left.

Why do you say that?


_________________
Hi I Am A Proud Autistic. Autism Level : Mild-Moderate/Moderate.
Autism Score 48 out of 50.


naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 26 Aug 2010
Age: 63
Gender: Male
Posts: 18,473
Location: temperate zone

27 Apr 2018, 2:41 pm

Dylanperr wrote:
BaronHarkonnen85 wrote:
Probably AUTocracy. 8)

Seem kinda varied. Many on here seem centre-left.

Why do you say that?


Which "that" do you mean?

The first line was (a very good IMHO) play on words. "Autocracy" actually means "absolute rule by a king/emperor/dictator". But he used it as a joke to mean "rule by the autistic" ( sounds good to me! :lol:),

The second line is just an observation. There is a whole spectrum here ranging from the lunatic fringe right to lunatic fringe left. But he has observed that the bulk of the population on WP does seem to be center, but usually a just little bit left of center (like American liberal democrat, or British Labour Party, or like that). And I agree with that observation. That is where the bell curve is highest here. Where I am too actually.



AlanMooresBeard
Toucan
Toucan

User avatar

Joined: 19 Apr 2013
Age: 32
Gender: Male
Posts: 276
Location: London, UK

27 Apr 2018, 2:52 pm

I am on the left so I obviously prefer socialist/social democratic governments. Unfortunately, that type of government does not happen in the UK very often. Our main centre-left party, Labour, has only been in power for 30 years out of the past 73 years with the last such government losing power in 2010. Hopefully, they'll get back in before too long.

In terms of policies and beliefs, I believe strongly in a universal healthcare system, state ownership of utilities and rail services, a basic income for all citizens, low-cost housing for those who do not earn enough to rent or buy in the private market, greater use of worker's co-operatives, legalisation of cannabis (though I don't use it personally), same-sex marriage, gender equality and greater investment into renewable energy sources and recyclable material.



XFilesGeek
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

User avatar

Joined: 24 Jul 2010
Age: 35
Gender: Female
Posts: 4,807
Location: The Oort Cloud

27 Apr 2018, 4:15 pm

I'd prefer one that makes rational sense....


_________________
"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (moderator)


Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

27 Apr 2018, 4:32 pm

I wonder how almost everyone is so good at finding ways to believe what benefits them personally is the morally right thing. If anything, I was taught to expect the opposite.

I'd have a hard time trying to oppose the fundamental idea that, if there must be a government at all, taxpayer money should be spent on furthering the interests of taxpayers, proportionally to how much they pay, period. The government should never take wealth from those who have earned it and give it to those who have not. I'm well aware that I'd probably starve to death if this simple criterion were implemented tomorrow, but just because something isn't good for me personally doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do. If I'm a parasite, the right thing to do is to get rid of me.


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


smudge
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,705
Location: London

27 Apr 2018, 5:09 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
I wonder how almost everyone is so good at finding ways to believe what benefits them personally is the morally right thing. If anything, I was taught to expect the opposite.

I'd have a hard time trying to oppose the fundamental idea that, if there must be a government at all, taxpayer money should be spent on furthering the interests of taxpayers, proportionally to how much they pay, period. The government should never take wealth from those who have earned it and give it to those who have not. I'm well aware that I'd probably starve to death if this simple criterion were implemented tomorrow, but just because something isn't good for me personally doesn't mean it's not the right thing to do. If I'm a parasite, the right thing to do is to get rid of me.


You make the massive assumption that those people at the bottom have the same fairness in treatment, support and opportunities as the rich, and that they don’t work hard. You also assume the rich are not the parasites taking unfair advantage of the workers below them in order to get to the top, such as not paying them enough for the work they did.



Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 11 Jun 2013
Age: 52
Gender: Male
Posts: 1,303
Location: Oz

27 Apr 2018, 7:25 pm

Most who post in this particular form are seemingly leftist...
I made a poll not that long ago which supports my belief...


_________________
I'm not here to change the world...There isn't a big enough soiled nappy bin... ;)
Autistic/scout motto: "Give me a better argument and I will listen..."
"Hate me for who I am...Not for who you think I am..."
You have been weighed...you have been measured...and you have been found wanking...:P
"Honesty is not a social duty, not a sacrifice for the sake of others, but the most profoundly selfish virtue man can practice: his refusal to sacrifice the reality of his own existence to the deluded consciousness of others."
Truth may be inconvenient but it is never politically incorrect...The Oracle of Truth has spoken...8) I'm a rationalist...Deal with it...:mrgreen:


Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 14 Apr 2013
Gender: Male
Posts: 7,893

28 Apr 2018, 1:58 am

smudge wrote:
You make the massive assumption that those people at the bottom have the same fairness in treatment, support and opportunities as the rich, and that they don’t work hard. You also assume the rich are not the parasites taking unfair advantage of the workers below them in order to get to the top, such as not paying them enough for the work they did.


You make massive assumptions about what I do or do not assume.


_________________
The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.


smudge
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 6 Sep 2006
Age: 30
Gender: Female
Posts: 5,705
Location: London

28 Apr 2018, 2:15 am

Spiderpig wrote:
smudge wrote:
You make the massive assumption that those people at the bottom have the same fairness in treatment, support and opportunities as the rich, and that they don’t work hard. You also assume the rich are not the parasites taking unfair advantage of the workers below them in order to get to the top, such as not paying them enough for the work they did.


You make massive assumptions about what I do or do not assume.


What else was I supposed to pick up from that?



Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 2 Jul 2004
Age: 38
Gender: Male
Posts: 44,359
Location: Houston, Texas

28 Apr 2018, 2:33 am

I’m centrist, but libertarian on some issues.


_________________
Who’s better at math than a robot? They’re made of math!


Shatbat
Veteran
Veteran

User avatar

Joined: 19 Feb 2012
Age: 25
Gender: Male
Posts: 6,053
Location: Where two great rivers meet

01 May 2018, 5:11 am

Currently, I like welfare states, that care over fair distribution of resources and minimum standards of living given to their citizens and inhabitants, and make sure there are not fundamental rights violations.

One of my strongest beliefs in this matter is that power will ultimately attract people who will want to get it, hoard it and maintain it for themselves and their inner circles (especially family) for as long as possible. So no government system should have one position with too much of it.

Out of this belief many personal preferences flow out. I like the legislative/executive/judiciary division of power, and dislike when one branch gets too powerful. I prefer federalism over centralism; I like when states having a high degree of power and autonomy instead of one central figure having all of it and easily overriding the preferences of individual places. I recently heard about Switzerland's government system, where they don't even have a singular head of State because all integrants of their federal council are equals, and I find that just awesome.


This is however counterbalanced by a second core belief; that if one, just one country or organization becomes significantly more powerful than everyone else, they will also want to get more, hoard it, and put themselves as the top for as long as they can. And by definition they will have the power to make that happen. So to counterbalance that, we need either a second, or a third, fourth... etc power (which goes against my first belief, as that makes 2, 3 or 4 entities with too much power). Or the alternative is federations that represent a collective of people, communities, territories, nations, where they band together to protect their interests while keeping each other in check and no individual person or organization holds too much power over it.
I personally see states under a confederation, or the European Union, as entities following this model, and this is why I support them. I like the European Union and I believe that while each european nation is individually too weak to stand against heavyweights like the US, China or Russia, the European Union as a whole just might. And that's also probably the reason Putin interferred with the Brexit referendum, he also knows this and he wants a weak European Union that can't stand up to Russia.


_________________
To build may have to be the slow and laborious task of years. To destroy can be the thoughtless act of a single day. - Winston Churchill


Last edited by Shatbat on 01 May 2018, 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.