Page 2 of 4 [ 54 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 11:10 am

I hated maths in primary school (when I was aged 5-11). I found it boring and difficult. In primary school they had toys to help kids learn maths, but even with toys it was boring. I just found myself playing with the toys instead of using them to help me with learning maths. :lol:

At high school I didn't hate maths so much, although it still wasn't one of my favourite subjects. I didn't like doing maths homework though. But as I got older I found that science was more boring than maths.
Maths was rather cosy. What I mean by that is one time I was sitting by a window in a maths exam and it was raining outside, and I found it cosy and soothing to work out math problems with the rain pouring against the window. I did get an F though, but still, it was fun at the time. :lol:

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 12:10 pm

Well, when I was six or seven, I often got bored and did math exercises from our textbook long before I was supposed to. When the teacher found out, she punished me by forbidding me to do any math at all. The ban was never formally lifted; it was simply forgotten at the beginning of the following school year, when she no longer taught us. It managed to make me feel guilty even for thinking of numbers whenever they came up in ordinary conversation, even in the middle of my summer holidays. Besides, I was openly considered pretty dumb, together with another student, so each of us was assigned a bright classmate to watch us at all times, and mine was only glad to make sure I didn’t get to indulge my illicit appetite for math.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 12:38 pm

SaveFerris wrote:
Joe90 wrote:
" I usually skip reading the number because the numbers seem to dance around the page. But letters don't. Letters are more respectful to me. :lol:

Numbers dancing on the page can be related to Dyslexia or Irlen Syndrome https://irlen.com/what-is-irlen-syndrome/

Dyscalculia should probably be added into this equation of possibilities, although I wouldn't count on it. :wink:

I can relate Joe90, letters are respectful to me and don't move around but for numbers...well...that's another story. Music notes also have a tendency to move around, that's why I find reading sheet music to be difficult. Unfortunately, my visual processing skills are considerably lower than average. :(

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 1:33 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Well, when I was six or seven, I often got bored and did math exercises from our textbook long before I was supposed to. When the teacher found out, she punished me by forbidding me to do any math at all. The ban was never formally lifted; it was simply forgotten at the beginning of the following school year, when she no longer taught us. It managed to make me feel guilty even for thinking of numbers whenever they came up in ordinary conversation, even in the middle of my summer holidays. Besides, I was openly considered pretty dumb, together with another student, so each of us was assigned a bright classmate to watch us at all times, and mine was only glad to make sure I didn’t get to indulge my illicit appetite for math.

I find it hard to even put into words how angry this makes me feel.

I'm not good at maths. I'm not specifically bad. Just not good. In my pre-med year I had a maths professor that looked like John Cleese and who would spend the whole session scribbling on the three sides of the room with blackboards. Just the pure amount of squeaky chalk on blackboard was enough to make following his line of though near impossible. But if that wasn't enough, he would stop in the middle, hit himself in the forehead and go back and erase half of it! In the end I realised if I got high enough marks in physics and chemistry I could just skip maths. My friend took pity on me on the night before the exam and he sat down and taught me enough to get a pass mark.

Perhaps the fact that it has such clear rules is what throws me. I am not good with rules. For example, I can cook but I can't cook from a recipe. Languages are a problem for me too. I just blend them all together.

Thankfully I left med school after the first year as I would have made a seriously lousy doctor.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 4:28 pm

In my experience, that seems to be the job of teachers and bullies alike: to discourage as many nerds as possible from pursuing their dreams. I guess otherwise there’d be too many happy adults leading fulfilling lives.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Blutaku
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Apr 2018, 5:42 pm

I can't do anything with numbers. I'm good with words and writing though.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 6:54 pm

I'm alright with math. Though, I'm sure it's not my best -- even if I go as far as abstract and nonverbal thinking/learning. Working with words are still worse for me.

My speciality is more... 'Proprioceptive' than 'Quantitive' or 'Linear'.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

30 Apr 2018, 7:02 pm

I'm sure not. I'm way behind in math, and always have been. I can see the same type of math problem that I just did and entirely forget how to do it. I also constantly make little mistakes on all the math.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

wbport
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

30 Apr 2018, 7:19 pm

Math came easy to me up to calculus, but below that I was OK with word problems and how to apply whatever math was necessary.

For example, the first VCRs only came with a counter on the take up side, rather than an elapsed time display. Starting with a zeroed counter and rewound tape, I noted the counter reading at one hour, then two hours. Knowing the cross sectional area of the 0-1 hour donut was the same as the 1-2 donut, I was able to create then solve a quadratic equation for regular time intervals and counter readings.

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 May 2018, 9:09 am

I’m likely dyscalculic but I’m ok ar art.

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 10:32 am

Well being a crap maths teacher is one thing, but hacking away at a child's self confidence is something entirely different, she should be hung, drawn and quartered for that (well not literally, but pretty close to literally).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 10:33 am

I'm pretty okay at math---especially practical math.

But I can't draw worth a damn....

superaliengirl
Toucan
Toucan

01 May 2018, 10:56 am

Not me because I have dyscalculia and I have an autistic friend who also does and another one who is okay at math, not better than anyone else so from my experience no.

LaetiBlabla
Veteran
Veteran

01 May 2018, 11:14 am

I like 1 and 0.

As soon as both start inviting friends, play together and make children, it's a mess.

arth_96
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 May 2018, 11:41 am

Well I'm not diagnosed yet but personally I'm pretty bad at math. I was actually very good in primary school but I don't know, I just didn't like math anymore then and I really began to lag behind. I'm much better at learning foreign languages.

Stardust Parade
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

01 May 2018, 11:50 am

I'm horrible at math.