Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 4:48 am

This is something I have personally experience in my own life and that is a change in sensory issues. When I was young I had sensory issues to loud and sudden noises. Every time I hear an emergency service siren I’d hold my hands over my ears. I remember when I was 6 years old my mum taking me to see a circus and we had to leave as I found it too loud. Now I don’t have a problem with loud and sudden noises any more unless it is raised voices. But as I have got older I have noticed my sensory issue has changed. Instead it is now flashing and coloured lights. If I am in a room with coloured and flashing lights I either have to close my eyes or else I go into a trance state.

I don’t whether this has been discussed here before as I tend to be on and off here and might have missed that post.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 8:24 am

Mine changed too.
I used to hate being touched at all, now I'm good with deep pressure but not light touch.
My sound, smell, and light sensitivity all got worse at around the same time.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2018, 6:01 pm

My sensory sensitivities have gotten much worse over time.

Wreck It Ralph

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2018, 1:47 pm

My sensory sensitivities were very mild when I was younger and got worse over time, particularly with the increasing stress of school and the social world. It seems as though they continue to get worse with each passing year. When I was little, I had some mild issues with certain textures and clothes, I often was spinning around/pacing and loved spinning/moving motions (vestibular hyposensitive), and I could easily get very overwhelmed by crowds/noise. I had a fantastic sense of smell, and there were certain foods that I could not eat because of the texture. I was also a tactile/possibly visual sensory seeker, and I would constantly rub the side of my blanket (and still do) or sometimes watch objects drop in front of my face intensely.

Today, I still have these sensory processing difficulties, but they have all gotten a lot worse. I am extremely easily startled by sounds, and I have an exaggerated startle reflex. I hate loud noises, sudden noises, high-pitched noises, constant noises, and certain types of noises like people rubbing their hands together 8O . I hate lights, particularly bright ones, and my favorite place to be is a dark room with no noise. I am easily nauseated by certain smells, and I often smell everything I can get my hands on. My diet has really become more limited over the years, and I have a lot of problems with clothes/touch. The list goes on, but they have definitely worsened for me over time, and I also notice a pattern between worsening sensory issues and stress.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine