the latest distraction: "yanni versus laurel"

Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

do you hear "yanni" or "laurel" or something else?
I hear YANNI! :bounce: 21%  21%  [ 7 ]
I hear LAUREL! :wall: 41%  41%  [ 14 ]
I hear "yelli" :scratch: 12%  12%  [ 4 ]
I hear something else. :dj: 9%  9%  [ 3 ]
I dunno what I hear :shrug: 3%  3%  [ 1 ]
where's my ice cream? :chef: 15%  15%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 34

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 6:23 pm

(clicky)"yanni versus laurel" is the latest divisive thing on the internet, it's even on the nightly news
when I first heard it, I heard neither "yanni" nor "laurel," but instead "yelli." I guess i'm different. :alien:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 7:20 pm

Not quite sure what I hear - I've been too primed by reading about it, I think. I can hear "yanni" or "laurel" if I make myself think of whichever word before listening.

There's another interesting analysis on LanguageLog (clicky) (pretty spectrograms!)
There's some odd stuff going on with the vocal formants that shows that there's some kind of processing (or compression/sampling artefacts) that's probably contributing to the ambiguity.

One of the closing points in the article is particularly apt for WrongPlanet...

Banjamin Munson on LanguageLog wrote:
Did you find listening to this audio sample maddeningly hard? Welcome to the daily world of people for whom speech perception is not always automatic. This includes people with even mild hearing loss, people with subtle auditory perception and processing problems that are associated with various learning disabilities (developmental language disorder, speech sound disorder, dyslexia, autism spectrum conditions), and even new second-language learners. The frustration that you might have felt listening to this signal is what many of these folks face on a daily basis when listening to something as seemingly simple as trying to identify speech in the presence of background noise. Turn your frustration into empathy and advocacy for those folks.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 7:53 pm

In the top video its clearly "laurel" when its in the first voice. But in the second tweeked high pitched voice its sounds like "Yammy", or "mammy". Not quite "Yani"

In the second I have the same reactions as the guy hosting the vid. It can ONLY be heard as "Laurel". But half way in when he put it in that low pitch, yeah, it does sound like "Laurel". Was just as flustered as him.

I dunno.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 7:57 pm

or

That is the question.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 8:00 pm

I think that THIS is the answer!

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 8:43 pm

Never heard of Laurel.

Yanni is no better than Kenny G.: the master of musical flatulence.

If Laurel is of the same ilk, then I have no interest in her music.

I'm back, for the time being. Any one who even attempts to rip me a new rear end because of my opinions will find themselves reported to administration. Anyone on my Foes list that replies to my posts will automatically be reported for harassment. You have been warned.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 9:10 pm

^^^that article made a great point about the compression algorithms' likely effect on this phenomenon, especially where they pointed out how spectral substitution [a common compression augmenting technique] could have muddied the waters considerably in terms of how the trebles were a distinctly [spectrally] inverted fold-up of the fundamental tones in the spectrogram. :idea: :study:

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 9:53 pm

^ Glad you found it interesting - I had a feeling it might be up your street. :D
I keep meaning to trawl their archives for links; I've seen a few posts there which mention aspects of prosody and speech processing (in the brain and DSP) that may be relevant to neuro-diverse conditions. Spectral inversion is one of my pet peeves - when I was younger (i.e. had better hearing), I used to do a lot of DSP coding for audio FX and synths, so the Nyquist limit was often my nemesis! :evil:

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 10:05 pm

Trogluddite wrote:
^ Glad you found it interesting - I had a feeling it might be up your street. :D
I keep meaning to trawl their archives for links; I've seen a few posts there which mention aspects of prosody and speech processing (in the brain and DSP) that may be relevant to neuro-diverse conditions. Spectral inversion is one of my pet peeves - when I was younger (i.e. had better hearing), I used to do a lot of DSP coding for audio FX and synths, so the Nyquist limit was often my nemesis! :evil:

it would be interesting to hear what you heard. the guy who did the early music for the Laserium shows had a similar complaint about the nyquist limit, and stuck to analog for longer than most, until he got his hands on high-sampling-rate digital equipment.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 10:12 pm

what is really weird, is that each time I listen to it, under different conditions [over speakers versus headphones] I hear something different. :scratch:

Kiprobalhato
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

16 May 2018, 10:27 pm

you hear what you want to hear.

i wanted to hear "laurel" so that's what i heard.

* i am a dude my dudes *

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

16 May 2018, 10:32 pm

I had no conscious expectation of what i'd hear before I heard it. I heard yanni then yelli, repeatedly, the N's morphing into L's, until he changed the pitch 2 times, then something switched in my brain and I started hearing laurel.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:06 am

I heard Laural

Recovering from tongue cancer, somewhat verbal.
Identified and joined WP August 26, 2013
DSM 5: Autism Spectrum Disorder, DSM IV: Aspergers Moderate Severity

Trogluddite
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 1:51 pm

auntblabby wrote:
what is really weird, is that each time I listen to it, under different conditions [over speakers versus headphones] I hear something different.

Yes, I think there is something to that - I find it more ambiguous listening through higher quality speakers, but definitely "Laurel" on my crummy laptop. Using the filtering tool linked from the LanguageLog article (click here to try it), my perception does shift between the two at about 3/4 of the way up (high frequency emphasis), though I can't quite decide between Yanni/Yarri/Yammi. After playing with that for a bit, I feel like I can perceive two layered voices when I listen to the original clip - but it's hard to say how objective that judgement is after so many repeats and so much priming.

I wonder as well, how much the choice of words affect the perception - "Laurel" is a word I'm very familiar with, from the shrub and personal name, whereas "Yanni/Yarri/Yammi" is an unexpected nonsense word to me.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

17 May 2018, 7:24 pm

I heard Yammy

Now I hear Yanni:

https://youtu.be/JfSSQ3Vejao