Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2018, 7:58 am

Im a teen and I still stim in public. I get so much stares because of it. I probably shouldnt care.

I rock in my chair because it is usually the only way I can sit in a chair and feel comfortable. But many people ask about it. I dont know why but I get panicky when people talk to me. I just feel scared. I also sometimes flap my hands, it feels good. Except for the time somebody grabbed my hand when I was doing it. I HATE touch. It was a relative and we were at the library. I almost hit them.

Meltdowns in public are super embarassing too.

Breezy17
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2018, 10:31 am

I know how you feel. it can be pretty upsetting when ppl try to keep me from stimming in public too .

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 11:09 am

Wait, is there an age when we are "supposed" to stop stimming in public?

I stim in public, though I feel self-conscious about doing the more noticeable stims when someone is looking at me. But even when I'm not doing the more obvious stims, I still fidget my hands.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2018, 11:19 am

No, there is no age that is too old. There are just people in my family who get extremely embarassed when I stim(younger sister) She says I should have grown out of it. I get upset when she says that. Sometimes if I dont get to do stims such as rocking or flapping, I do more self injurious stims such as holding my wrist tightly. I used to do that when I was stressed but my parents saw the finger nail marks and got me a stress ball instead.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 12:52 pm

Yeah, that's not right of them to say that. Stimming doesn't hurt anyone, and it can help us, so why shouldn't we be allowed to do it?

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2018, 1:43 pm

Yeah, I like stimming. I do not want to stop. It keeps my calm. My respite worker lets me. Its nice. I dont get it. Stimming is important.

nfopuhfxir
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 May 2018, 2:32 pm

the reason you shouldn’t stim is that it makes other people uncomfortable. just like stimming makes you feel comfortable, people who act normal make NT’s feel comfortable. If you need to stim or feel like your gonna have a melt down, you can ask to go to the bathroom or take a walk, and then come back when your calmer.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 May 2018, 2:50 pm

Ok. Well, I guess that means I have to go for a lot of walks and go to the washroom. I basically stim all the time. I cant always help it. Yeah, I guess it does make people feel uncomfortable, because I am 18 and I look too old to be rocking.

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2018, 2:59 pm

nfopuhfxir wrote:
the reason you shouldn’t stim is that it makes other people uncomfortable. just like stimming makes you feel comfortable, people who act normal make NT’s feel comfortable. If you need to stim or feel like your gonna have a melt down, you can ask to go to the bathroom or take a walk, and then come back when your calmer.

If just not acting normal makes someone feel uncomfortable, that probably means that they have some prejudice toward people who are different. Why should we deprive ourselves of something we like just to please them, instead of them learning to accept us?

Orion
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 May 2018, 10:55 am

Don't be embarrassed about it. Stimming helps calm your nervous system, at no point is that not important. There is no age where you suddenly don't need that. It's important for the people in your life to understand you won't outgrow stimming or autism. Also, they should know not to grab you.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 May 2018, 11:04 am

Yeah, my brother and I both stim. We both get agitated when people tell us to stop. Hes 16 and Im 18. My hands have been grabbed less than his. I feel bad for him. Yeah. I think stimming is quite important

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 9:43 pm

I stim in public and I don't care what other people think about it.

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

17 Jun 2018, 11:39 am

What's weird is that I don't really have stims, apart from fidgeting stuff and the constant need to have stuff in my hands. Also never really had meltdowns (this sometimes makes me question my Asperger's)...Though I've got just about every other symptom of Asperger's.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jun 2018, 1:20 pm

Well, I play with a fidget spinner in public, don't know if that counts. But people think I'm cool while doing it, so I guess its a win win?