The shortcomings of IQ tests(thoughts welcomed)

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 2:52 pm

It is often claimed many IQ tests are culturally biased which is reckoned to negatively affect some people's scores. They are also supposed to underestimate the intelligence of people with ASD who often tend to be more non-verbally than verbally proficient.
A solution has been the creation of 'Culture fair', non-verbally based tests. Here we meet with a different problem ie that of those who have a significant lag in non-verbal compared to verbal proficiency. I am one of those who fits that category. If my score was taken on one of those tests(Mensa Hungary adaptive test where I scored 73 for example) as a proof of intelligence it could be seen that I was quite dull witted. Although I may not be a super genius that is obviously not true from my contributions and participation here.
Having said that this is not an issue for the sizeable majority of people whose non-verbal and verbal abilities are remarkably even.

Thoughts welcomed.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2018, 6:11 am

Another one bites the dust :(

AstroPi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2018, 9:20 am

IQ tests are designed in this way, they just show your selected skills comparing to majority, in other words how "normal" you are. Their results always vary on daily basis, in terms of usefulness they are like measuring mean value of temperature during the year, not much useful information for individual cases. Also they are badly designed quite often (like what's the 4th number in sequence: 1, 2, 4, ? it can be 8 2^0, 2^1, 2^2, 2^3, but it can be 7 like in: 1, 1+1, 2+2, 4+3, 7+4, 11+5 etc. so you must read author's mind to answer correctly, it's possible by accident or if you're not that smart to know any alternative answers). So if you have high IQ it means you're good at resolving IQ tests, nothing more, and they are mostly just for fun.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 3:11 pm

Thanks for replying to what was obviously a stupid thread judging by only your response and few views.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 3:14 pm

I have only taken those online ones and don't think they are real anyway.

IQ tests are a form of standardised testing. Autists are not standard its kind of like a Bodybuilder doing a BMI test.

AstroPi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2018, 3:49 pm

firemonkey wrote:
Thanks for replying to what was obviously a stupid thread judging by only your response and few views.

It's not a stupid thread, some people might find it helpful. And it has much more views and replies than my thread in Members Only Discussion :P People not always relate/have enough strength/know what to write/feel comfortable with the author/etc. to respond, and it doesn't mean it's worthless, we should just see that. I know it's easier said than done, but nevertheless it's a good thing to try not to be too negative.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 5:50 pm

I think like quite a few people here, most probably, I have a spiky profile. In my case verbal significantly >non-verbal.The gap between the two is probably well over 50 points. I am not even sure a FSIQ could accurately measure my intelligence. I guess though I must be fairly intelligent as a string of psychiatrists have described me as highly/very intelligent.

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 6:01 pm

firemonkey wrote:
I think like quite a few people here, most probably, I have a spiky profile. In my case verbal significantly >non-verbal.The gap between the two is probably well over 50 points. I am not even sure a FSIQ could accurately measure my intelligence. I guess though I must be fairly intelligent as a string of psychiatrists have described me as highly/very intelligent.

I would personally describe myself as having Dual Exceptionalities being both intellectually gifted but also having learning difficulties. I was in special needs classes as a kid and no one thought I was smart, I think I new school was failing me and I asked my mum to swap schools and in my new school I was out of special needs within a year or two. I was predicted to get all 2's in my SATs but managed to get 4 4 5 then people realised I was smart but went to a terrible comprehensive school and just floated in the top sets until I left with very mediocre grades.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 7:43 pm

I have a question re verbal analogies are they pure measures of verbal intelligence , or are they a mix of logic and verbal skills ? I ask because I did a Queendom verbal test and scored 86 for analogies but 138 for vocabulary and 143 for verbal comprehension. I notice at https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3606476/ verbal analogies are described as being at an abstract level and vocabulary at a concrete level. I certainly have a problem with abstract things. The nurse who does my antipsychotic depot described me as being a concrete thinker.

I found this

Quote:
Verbal analogies also entail relational inference. For instance, in BOOK : PAGE :: CAR : ENGINE one must infer that a PAGE is a part of a BOOK just as an ENGINE is a part of a CAR. My more recent research has investigated how individual differences (in creativity, working memory, or autistic traits) impact performance in solving verbal analogies with pairs from similar domains (e.g., PLATINUM : NECKLACE :: GOLD : EARRING) or different domains (e.g., LEATHER : SADDLE :: GOLD : EARRING).

https://clasprofiles.wayne.edu/profile/eg3564

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 4:38 am

As far as I can make out 86 falls into the low average range(80-89) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IQ_classification

I did another test at http://alliqtests.com/tests/take_test/70/1/ which seems to be a mix of verbal and general knowledge and scored 144+.

I did find https://www.kyrene.org/site/default.asp ... ageID=1050 which suggests it tests inductive and deductive reasoning skills.

Further to this.

Quote:
Inductive and deductive reasoning are two methods of logic used to arrive at a conclusion based on information assumed to be true

http://www.nakedscience.org/mrg/Deducti ... soning.htm . Taken with the suggestion that verbal analogies test inductive and deductive reasoning this points to verbal analogies being a test of both logic and verbal ability. Hence not a pure test of verbal ability.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 7:22 am

See post from lostinspace at viewtopic.php?t=132124

Quote:
The analogies are likely measuring abstract rather than concrete verbal reasoning however, so if you are a concrete thinker, you would have trouble with them.
. Well I'm definitely a concrete thinker.