Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2018, 3:09 pm

Who doesn't like music, I never have liked it and can't find any that I like, it just hurts my ears and get paniky and overwhelming feelings.
Especially don't like it when there are restaurants and shops blasting loud music.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 7:12 pm

Have you found any types that you dislike less than others? If so, is there a common element to the types you more fervently dislike? (bass heavy, treble heavy, too much percussion, vocals, etc.)

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 7:17 pm

So, I'm NOT alone in that!

I'm sorry but I'm excited to hear that! Because I've never heard of anyone else who cannot stand music, even among other autistic people.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 7:19 pm

My favorite music is electronic/pop (and a lot of pop whether it's electronic or not), alternative/90s, and I only like some rap songs when I'm in the mood rarely. I don't think country music is bad.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 May 2018, 7:44 pm

I like music a lot actually. I like to find songs that relate to my special interests. I don't really prefer one genre. I focus more on the lyrics. However, I disliked music and didn't understand it until recently. Before that, I actually had no idea what songs meant to convey and I thought they were just a bunch of lines strung together in a pattern. I also need to have the lyrics to a song in order to fully appreciate it.

Gbgeorgia1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

31 May 2018, 5:34 pm

Arganger wrote:
So, I'm NOT alone in that!

I'm sorry but I'm excited to hear that! Because I've never heard of anyone else who cannot stand music, even among other autistic people.

Yay I'm not the only odd one out :o

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2018, 2:38 am

There is a lot of music I like, but also a lot I can't stand...most of what I can't stand is more popular stuff, I like metal of all kinds and various sorts of rock and other random stuff I have heard. But I hate pop music and that weird hip hop/rap with the furby vocals, I have heard a little rap I like alright though. I also really hate most country I ever hear in any store, my ears might as well bleed when it comes to that, in fact it would be preferable.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

03 Jun 2018, 2:02 pm

I like a lot of music but my grandpa who is NOT on the spectrum never liked music but he would tolerate it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 10:38 pm

If anything I am too wide ranging in my tastes in music. Like classical, jazz, various types of rock, electronica. Rap is an acquired taste. Old time show tunes. Indian raga music, flamenco,

I have read about folks who don't like music, or who just don't respond to it. Read about a lady who thought of music as being like "the sound of someone dropping the dishes in your kitchen". In fact I read about it in a book about human evolution called "the Singing Neanderthals". So I was aware of that as being like a medical condition. But never met anyone IRL, nor online (until you two just now) who were like that. It maybe that youll never find any kind of music that you like. Which seems sad and odd to most of us, but maybe not to you.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 1:13 am

What do you think of movie soundtracks? Does it add anything to the film or just a distraction? Or maybe just try to ignore it?

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2018, 10:31 pm

Also how do you handle music in tv shows?

mr_bigmouth_502
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 12:36 am

What genres have you tried? If your only real exposure to music has been stuff on the radio, then I really can't blame you for not liking it.

If you're looking for something that's not like typical music, try Aphex Twin or some other ambient artists.

fifasy
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2018, 1:35 am

Would lute music like this be bearable for you?

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jun 2018, 11:40 am

Do you have Melophobia?

Substantially_Abstract
Raven
Raven

06 Jul 2018, 7:44 am

I would suggest you start with classical music and then go on to the classic hits..
1. Classical music:
- The Rain Waltz by Frederick Chopin
- Final theme from the movie Ballad of the bomber
- The Force theme from Star Wars
- Winter by Antonio Vivaldi
2. The hits:
- Animals House of the rising sun
- Scorpions songs
- Money by ABBA

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 1:35 pm

I like a lot of kinds of music. I like classic hits a lot, and I admit that many of the current popular stuff on the radio isn't bad. I can't really care about country either way, but some songs from that genre have appealed to me before. More traditional sounds like jazz and blues are also okay.