Do you or have you struggled with your weight?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

hannahjrob
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 May 2018, 3:51 pm

I seem to be having a harder time as I get older (but I'm not even that old - I'm 26!) I have always been on the somewhat heavy side since I was a kid, but I was never seriously overweight. I reached about 140 pounds when I was 14, which was a bit too much for my height (I'm 5'1" now, and age 14 was about when I reached my full adult height so I was about the same then) so I always thought I could stand to lose 10 pounds or so, but I was never seriously worried, since I did at least stop gaining weight at that point. I'd sometimes fluctuate between roughly 138-145 pounds, but I never gained any more than that...that is, up until a couple years ago. It's like suddenly, at the age of 24, my metabolism just slowed WAY down because I don't feel like I started eating more or exercising less than I used to. But soon I found that I was 150...then a year later, almost 160. It's like I'm gaining nearly 10 pounds a year, because now I'm between 168-169. :| I've gained almost 30 pounds more than what I used to weigh for years. I'm only another 30 away from 200, so that's really motivated me to go on a diet and try to get a lot of exercise because that's definitely not the direction I want to go. It's not even my looks that I'm that worried about (I actually don't look like I weigh almost 170...people are surprised if I tell them...I think it's because almost all my extra weight is in my gut/waist, so as long as I don't wear really tight/slim fitting shirts, people don't really see it). I just know it isn't a healthy weight, so I'm kind of scared of having health problems down the road if I don't get a handle on it. It's also starting to cause sensory issues, because I just have that feeling of having that extra weight in my gut and it's uncomfortable. And something I've always hated is being stuck in between pants sizes. Back when I weighed less, I was stuck between size 6 and 8 (because I needed an 8 in the waist, but then it was too big everywhere else, but a 6 just wasn't comfortable because it was a little too snug). Now it's the same situation but I'm in between an 8 and a 10. Sometimes even a 12 would be best for my waist, but of course it bunches up in the crotch and practically slides off my butt since it's too big everywhere else. Definitely makes jeans shopping extremely frustrating. Ugh. I'm just really, really hoping that me trying to do better with what I eat and exercise more pays off, and I can drop these pounds.

Last edited by hannahjrob on 30 May 2018, 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueOysterCult
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2018, 4:06 pm

Yes. Ever since I was nine years old I have struggled with my weight and personal health. I went to a small private elementary school when I was 4-8 years old and knew everybody, and since little kids are so easy to talk to I made friends easily. However, my parents couldn't afford the tuition anymore and was moved to a snooty public school. I felt isolated really quickly and soon found myself alone instead of hanging out with friends. I started binge eating and became overweight...it ended up causing me to get my period when I was really young. Kind of funny, when I started becoming isolated I was diagnosed with aspergers because of my poor social skills. I think my problems with being overweight are my social isolation and awkwardness combined with going to a school that was incredibly cliquey.

I'm 17 now and am beginning to lose the weight, but it's been very hard. Since I recently lost a job I've had a bunch of time to myself, which in turn gets me to eat more since I don't have much to do other than a couple hobbies...which are hobbies that don't require physical strain lol.

I also think women's bodies are meant to be kind of big. The media and society tells us we should be skinny and pertain to a certain look but women are rarely like that. It's typical to have paunch in the belly and around hips. There are so many insecure women out there because society tells them they're not "standard". I say BS, but there is a difference between "curvy" and "overweight", in which I am the latter. Changing that slowly, though. I started being able to fit into jeans again which is nice. It's easy to get addicted to junk food in our modern society, but there are so many healthy options that are also just as tempting.

Don't let your weight scare you. Set goals for yourself and think about what you want to accomplish. It's difficult yes with all that can tempt us but I guarantee it'll feel much, much better in the long-run.

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2018, 5:28 pm

I've always been bigger but I don't let it get the best of me. The biggest struggle I've had with my size was my chest. By 5th grade I was a C or D cup. Once I reached a G cup I ended up getting breast reduction. It was due to a medication called risperdal.

Now I weigh 245 and I've realized that it's not the end of the world if I can't wear a size 00 in everything. Exercise and healthy eating are important no matter what size you are.

I have extra weight in my tummy and being in between sizes really sucks sometimes. I'm a solid 20 in jeans, a 20/22 in shirts and sometimes a 24 in dresses.

Don't let your weight get to you. I'm cheering you on. :)

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 6:37 am

I've been bothered by my weight only in the last year. I gained a lot of weight due to taking olanzapine. I'm trying to taper it off but it's extremely difficult. My body gains weight everywhere, so not only my clothes don't fit, my rings, bracelets, watches and shoes are all too tight. I'm holding off buying much new clothes because I want to lose the weight, but I'm not making much progress as long as I'm still taking olanzapine.

My husband is eating a high protein diet to lose weight. He has lost a pound every week since he started. I think maybe I'll try that once I stop taking the med.

komamanga
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2018, 7:25 am

I've gained nearly 20 kg since last year probably thanks to taking antipsychotics. I was slightly underweight now I'm slightly overweight and it really bothers me.

TheSilentOne
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 12:37 pm

I was a pretty average sized baby and child up until I was 14. I then gained 100 pounds in high school and went from 100 pounds to 200 at graduation. I'm only five feet tall. I put on an additional 50 since then. I'm about 250 pounds now and I have PCOS, so I'm struggling to get to a healthy weight. I want to be healthy, but it feels impossible. I have been on medication for depression and severe anxiety since I was 7 and have been told that those medications have contributed to the weight gain. I'm very oddly proportioned too. I have what my mom calls an "apple" body shape and my stomach is by far my biggest part followed by my arms and I look somewhat pregnant even though I'm not and never have been. People ask me sometimes "when is the baby due?" and it always hurts my feelings.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 6:11 pm

I’ve always struggled with my weight and eating disorders. I’m on a good path right now and have lost over 60 pounds with about 30 to go, but I worry sometimes that I’ll start bingeing uncontrollably again.

It’s really hard for me to keep a balanced outlook when it comes to weight and weight loss. I’ve always been the type to turn to food for comfort.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2018, 6:48 pm

Didn't realize this was Woman's Discussion....sorry about that.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2018, 8:30 am

Count me in as another person affected by antipsychotic medication.

I used to weigh 55kgs and had since I was 17. I ate what I wanted without any worries. In some photos I even looked too underweight.

That was until 2013 when a psychiatrist in hospital (I was there for depression and out of control self harming) put me on Seroquel (quetiapine). It must have seriously affected my metabolism or something because I gained 30kgs in 6 months. I got awful stretch marks on my legs, hips and boobs from gaining weight so quickly.

One day I decided I had had enough and stopped taking the Seroquel. It was supposedly for helping me sleep but I slept fine without it. Well sort of fine - these days I snore and I feel very self conscious about it.

Weight loss has been difficult. I've lost about 5kgs but I'm finding it hard to lose any more. This could be because I take lithium, another med noted for weight gain. I'm reluctant to go off it as it's really helped my depression, though.

I used to wear size 8 or 10. Now it's size 16 bottoms and 20 up top. I used to wear 12D bras and thought that was big enough. Now I'm 14F and that's definitely enough!

I feel for all of you that have taken antipsychotics with their horrible side effects.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2018, 5:44 pm

renaeden wrote:
Count me in as another person affected by antipsychotic medication.

I used to weigh 55kgs and had since I was 17. I ate what I wanted without any worries. In some photos I even looked too underweight.

That was until 2013 when a psychiatrist in hospital (I was there for depression and out of control self harming) put me on Seroquel (quetiapine). It must have seriously affected my metabolism or something because I gained 30kgs in 6 months. I got awful stretch marks on my legs, hips and boobs from gaining weight so quickly.

One day I decided I had had enough and stopped taking the Seroquel. It was supposedly for helping me sleep but I slept fine without it. Well sort of fine - these days I snore and I feel very self conscious about it.

Weight loss has been difficult. I've lost about 5kgs but I'm finding it hard to lose any more. This could be because I take lithium, another med noted for weight gain. I'm reluctant to go off it as it's really helped my depression, though.

I used to wear size 8 or 10. Now it's size 16 bottoms and 20 up top. I used to wear 12D bras and thought that was big enough. Now I'm 14F and that's definitely enough!

I feel for all of you that have taken antipsychotics with their horrible side effects.

I take 100 mg of Seroquel daily, and it hasn’t caused weight gain, but I’m very vigilant about my intake and count calories.

I’m down 67 pounds. Most of it has been lost while on Seroquel.

To people worried about side effects like weight gain, please don’t quit taking your prescribed medications without talking to a doctor first.

LadyLucifer
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

11 Aug 2018, 10:56 pm

Surprisingly I never did. Like I don't understand why women always need to loose weight? Some women look good. Stop hurting yourself. Remember that Opreah episode? Diets don't work.

Special Interest: Abnormal/Sexual/Developmental Psychology, Metal Music, Depressing Documentaries, the Occult, True Crime, Cults/Conspiracy Theories, Naruto, House MD, Fetishes, Hannibal Lector Quartet and Disney Princesses and Villains
Totems: Cacti, snails, tarot, rubber ducks, overstuffed/fat animals, devils, fairies, leather and Baphomet.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 5:19 pm

Diets don't work because people resume their old eating habits and old lifestyles. You actually need to change how you eat permanently and your lifestyle to keep the weight off. Also, fad diets are a scam and so are any other diet programs. You don't need to go on any restrictions to lose weight. If you like your fast food, have it in moderation and sweets and other things you enjoy. All it is is calorie counting and CICO. If you don't eat the right food, you will always be hungry.

Lot of people also think they need to hit the gym but they don't because you can do your own exercises at home. There are youtube videos and work out videos you can buy in stores. I use my game system because I have some work out games. They're not really games because they work like work out videos except the difference is I unlock new stuff or earn trophies.

I have managed to keep my old weight off and have not been 170 lbs since junior high nor 150 or 140 since high school except for when I was pregnant and I am now in my thirties. But I must be the 5% right according to fatlogic. All I did was I stopped snacking and eating so much sugar and I started having less portions. I was hungry all the time and then it stopped when my body got used to having less food so my stomach shrunk. Now I don't feel hungry so often anymore. I still love my sweets but I have it in moderation. But lot of people don't have good self control. Those who do are seen as having eating disorders. :roll: Those who work out and are into healthy eating are seen as being pronana by the fat acceptance community. :roll:

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 8:31 pm

I used to be skinny, never reaching more than 110 pounds at 5'5.5." I was always slender growing up, and sometimes even verged into being underweight and feeling the effects of it - I just had a high metabolism. But ever since I was put on Abilify for a couple weeks (I stopped taking it because of other side effects that put me in the hospital), I've been heavier than that - I'm pretty sure the Abilify also caused me to gain some weight. I'm probably actually at a perfectly healthy weight, but it's not what I'm accustomed to, so I've started really worrying about what/how much I eat (which I never had to worry about before) and making sure I get enough exercise (although that's challenging when I have depression sapping my energy a good bit of the time :roll: ).

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

elsapelsa
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 8:03 am

My normal weight since I was in my late teens (18) has always been about 50 kg apart from in pregnancy. It never changes much.

I eat a healthy diet and work out for bouts here and there. I could definitely be fitter but I have too many things to fit into the day.

Before that in my early teens I had anorexia and weighed only 35 kg at one point. I am sure there will be many health ramifications of that and that worries me. I will never diet again.

I find thinking too much about the components of food bothers me (like I went a bit crazy in pregnancy about not eating processed food or additives). Now, I mostly eat organic food and cook everything from scratch. I would like to be more self sufficient and grow my own food but that hasn't happened yet.

If anything I am perfecting the ability to enjoy moderation and to know when to stop.

y-pod
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2018, 6:08 am

I never like to eat sweet things (including fruit). All I want are veggies and meat and fish. Unfortunately I'm busy and don't have a lot of time to cook, so I tend to eat lots of carbs and fruit. I don't know about healthy but fruit make me faaat. When I stay with my parents who eat tons of veggies (and I love that) I tend to lose weight. I plan to get even busier, so I know I need to organize planning, shopping and cooking better, or everyone will get fat.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2018, 11:34 am

I started packing on the pounds in my teens, and ended up weighing around 240. It fluctuated between about 235 and 245, but was mostly at about 240. Then, after cancer surgery 12 & 1/2 years ago I ballooned up to 300, and stayed there until about a couple of years ago, when I very slowly started to lose weight. This year the weight loss sped up a little bit, and now I am down to about 235. I will continue using the methods that have helped me lose this weight until I weigh what I should weigh. Got a long way to go, but at least I'm on my way.

Recently I found a pix of myself in my teens, before I packed on the pounds. Every now and then I look at it to remind myself that I will eventually be back down there again. Too bad I can't turn the clock back on my age, and other health issues, too.