Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jun 2018, 8:47 pm

Quite a few of us Autistic people need extra support so we can engage in specialized niches, myself included.

So where does everyone else get their support and for those of you who don't need support I have one question.

Are you sure?

Are you sure you didn't have a mentor who guided you through life, friends you could relay on in a pinch, inheritance?

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 7:18 am

I still live at home so family. After that probably some kinda care facility. I have one place picked out already.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 7:40 am

Do you mean a group home type of place, Ezra?

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 9:33 am

I got my therapist and family. After my family dies i'm planning on reaching out to other people with autism or their families. (hopefully there will be more of them then)

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 9:48 am

Arevelion wrote:
Quite a few of us Autistic people need extra support so we can engage in specialized niches, myself included. So where does everyone else get their support and for those of you who don't need support I have one question. Are you sure?
Yes, I am sure.
Arevelion wrote:
Are you sure you didn't have a mentor who guided you through life, friends you could relay on in a pinch, inheritance?
Yes, I am sure that my parents, siblings, relatives and friends abandoned me when I was divorced, laid-off, sick, and homeless; yes, I am sure that I had to force myself to take any paying job available to be able to afford food, clothing, shelter and medical care when no-one else would help in any way; yes, I am sure that there were no mentors, no care-givers, no guides, and no sponsors to support me in my efforts; and yes, I am sure that I owe no-one for the successes that I've accomplished on my own since then.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 10:16 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Do you mean a group home type of place, Ezra?

Yes. But it's really the only one I have looked at and just on the internet. I'd like to have something that's more like an apartment off a hallway in a complex that has a staff to do whatever and has physical therapy etc.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 10:20 am

I can certainly understand wanting your own apartment.

Ilikemusic
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2018, 10:25 am

I have my older sister,and older brother. I also have my parents and my special education teachers. I have my therapist too. I also have my younger brother. Im terrified about life after high school. I dont know if I could live on my own. My communication skills are very bad and I get frustrated easily. I have meltdowns. Going out in the real world scares me very much.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 10:26 am

Going to college will defer the "real world" stuff for at least four years. That's one of the advantages of college.

fluffysaurus
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 10:35 am

It's not a matter of not needing it, it's a matter of not getting it. It's frustrating because I don't think I need very much in that it wouldn't be a lot to someone to provide. I feel mentoring would make a huge difference to me but I am trying to provide this for myself through using this website to get answers because I think between us we probs know everything about everything but I do wish I had an NT person (pref who understood autism) as a sounding board because I struggle to see the bigger picture in things and often come up with my own answers to my problems about ten years too late.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jun 2018, 1:13 pm

I have other mental & physical disabilities in addition to my Aspergers. I lived with my parents till I moved in with my current girlfriend at 30. I can NOT handle living alone. I'm currently on Social Security Disability & Medicvare Extra Help that Medicaid pays for. I was on SSI & Medicaid before I started working until I quit working. I saw a psychiatrist for 5 years in my early 20s cuz I was suffering from a psychotic depression. I had a little bit of counseling during that time & was a member of a support group for bipolar, depression & anxiety issues. When I was 18/19 I also went to a training facility for people with low vision to learn life skills cuz I was born with a rare low vision disroder. My voc rehab counselor referred me to them. She was useless at helping me find a job till a family friend found out about an organization that helps disableds be more independent & I got my voc counselor to refer me to them & they helped line up my 1st job. That was about all the support I had as an adult besides my current girlfriend, & both my exes.

I had abit more support in skewl. I received accommodations like extra time on test & when I was in high-skewl a resource room I could go to for extra help with test or homework. The resource room also counted as a class that I didn't get credit for so I was able to graduate having took less actual classes than my peers who didn't have that accommodation. I went to a skewl for dyslexia from middle of 6th through 8th grade. I also had speech therapist till I started high-skewl.

I would like to get a job cuz we could really use some extra money but I don't want to risk losing my SSDI, & Medicare Extra Help. Also my girlfriend doesn't want me to be gone alot cuz she has anxiety & depression issues. I'm not sure how to go about finding a job where I could work a bit less than 32 hours a month so I could defiantly use some help with that but I'm not sure how to go about getting help.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2018, 2:11 pm

Fnord wrote:
Arevelion wrote:
Quite a few of us Autistic people need extra support so we can engage in specialized niches, myself included. So where does everyone else get their support and for those of you who don't need support I have one question. Are you sure?
Yes, I am sure.
Arevelion wrote:
Yes, I am sure that my parents, siblings, relatives and friends abandoned me when I was divorced, laid-off, sick, and homeless; yes, I am sure that I had to force myself to take any paying job available to be able to afford food, clothing, shelter and medical care when no-one else would help in any way; yes, I am sure that there were no mentors, no care-givers, no guides, and no sponsors to support me in my efforts; and yes, I am sure that I owe no-one for the successes that I've accomplished on my own since then.

touché

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2018, 2:22 pm

Diagnosed at a young age, i had SEN support in school from year 2 - year 11 (6 - 16yrs age) stopped getting it until university at age 21 when i could apply to governments allowance (in education only) which would go directly to the support services which weren't of help to me at all, as in didn't advise me on depression, anxiety or what medical support I could be entitled to, so throughout my life i haven't been able to get my hold on any depressive meds or anything so it was just left to build up into suicidal thoughts which I had on a regular basis (of course i couldn't prove this to my GP).

Talking bout today though, i feel like i've gone through alot since then, background depression is all but gone. Apart from mental health issues, i don't get employment support anymore as I think they just given up on me, so all it takes is the relative who pays for my living here to vanish from my life and i'm on the streets with nothing to live on.

nephets
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jun 2018, 2:36 pm

Support for me is my wife and children, plus Prozac. Without any of those I'd be dead by now. My immediate family has been useless.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

06 Jun 2018, 2:45 pm

Meds help me too nephets. I take Buspar for anxiety, Neurontin/Gabapentin for OCD, Haldol/Haloperidol for a possible delusional disorder & so I don't get upset quite as easily, & I take Wellbutrin/Bupropion for depression, low energy, ADD, & so I won't binge as much(it's not really helping with the binging thou)

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jun 2018, 9:26 pm

All of my support comes exclusively from my parents. I inherited a lot, and though I am far from being a millionaire I was able to invest the inheritance well enough to supplement my income to a point where it pays the equivalent of a low wage part time job. Also my dad got me my day job before he died. Not to mention all of his old friends are now mine. That helped a lot.