Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 12:41 am

Children with autism twice as likely to suffer from allergies, study finds

Quote:
Children with autism are twice as likely to be diagnosed with a food allergy as the general population, a study has found.

Youngsters with the condition also have a higher risk of respiratory and skin allergies like eczema and hay fever, researchers said.

The study, led by public health scientists at the University of Iowa in the US, suggested both conditions have a shared origin in a child’s developing immune system.

However the study, published in the journal of the American Medical Association, Jama Network Open, does not provide any new evidence of such a link and has limitations that mean its other findings require caution.

“It is possible that immunologic disruptions may have processes beginning early in life, which then influence brain development and social functioning, leading to the development of autism spectrum disorders,” said Dr Wei Bao, an assistant professor of epidemiology.

The latest study looked at data from 200,000 children collected from parents between 1997 and 2016 as part of a routine national health survey in the US.

It found food allergies were 129 per cent more common in children with ASD, and skin and respiratory conditions increased by 50 and 28 per cent respectively.

However the survey, which compiled interviews from a sample of parents about their child’s health each year, does not draw this information directly from their health records.

Parents were instead asked whether their child had a formal diagnosis of autism, or similar developmental condition. They were also asked to self-report whether their child had an allergic reaction to a particular food, skin or respiratory condition in the past 12 months.

This makes the results vulnerable to parents’ biases or what they remember, experts warned.

The findings may show that parents of children with autism are more likely to notice and report minor food and digestive allergies; upsets which parents of children without ASD might ignore.

Dr James Cusack, director of science for the charity Autistica, told The Independent: “It is possible that parents who report one condition are more likely to report another. Such an effect could explain the increase in the reporting of allergies in this study.

“Previous research shows that autism is associated with poorer physical health including asthma, so this finding does make sense in that respect.”

While Dr Bao suggests an immune system origin for both conditions he noted that the study does not look at that and conceded there could be alternative explanations such as genetic or environmental factors.

“Science is never as a conclusive as we want it to be,” Dr Cusack added. “The study adds something valuable in so much as at indicates a link may exist.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 1:43 am

People with autism often have leaky gut, and leaky gut can lead to food allergies.

Some theorize that leaky gut is, itself, a cause of autism.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 4:04 am

IMOIt's because so many battle intestinal infections that cause increased intestinal permeability and various food chemicals end up leaking into our bloodstreams and wreaking havoc on us. We have allergic reactions to them because they're never supposed to be in our bloodstreams like that - especially frankenfood components like food dyes. Add to that that our immune systems are constantly under attack trying to deal with the intestinal infection and our reactions to allergens are amplified.

My allergic reactions to foods & ESPECIALLY to plants have all decreased by ~80%+ since healing my gut. I used to take multiple 24h allergy pills every single day during Spring/Summer for more than half my life, now I take a few here and there but when I keep my diet super strict I rarely take allergy pills at all.. like only a handful a year on the worst pollen days kind of thing.

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 9:38 am

I can't see how an autoimmune 'disorder' would lead to increased synaptic connectivity in the brain, which is often seen in autism. Then again, they're probably not the same condition.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 10:42 am

goldfish21 wrote:
We have allergic reactions to them because they're never supposed to be in our bloodstreams like that - especially frankenfood components like food dyes.

I was reading the Eat Right 4 Your Type website a few months ago ( http://dadamo.com/txt/index.pl?1007 ), and he suggests that the lectins in certain foods can trigger autoimmune response:

"Once the intact lectin protein settles someplace in your body, it literally has a magnetic effect on the cells in that region. It clumps the cells together and they are targeted for destruction, as if they, too, were foreign invaders."

I didn't do a whole lot of research, but what little I did read basically said the same thing.

I see that the Wikipedia article on lectins has been edited since I read it last, including a new line bashing an unnamed "fad diet".

Magneto wrote:

Oh...so our heads are larger because our brains are inflamed, and not because we are smarter? =(

Magneto
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 11:19 am

It depends on what type of autism you have.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 11:53 am

SabbraCadabra wrote:
People with autism often have leaky gut, and leaky gut can lead to food allergies.

Some theorize that leaky gut is, itself, a cause of autism.

Allergies are a feature, not a bug. Relative physical weakness in autistic people is intended by Mother Nature. Same thing with the male-dominance in the prevalence rate of autism. Try to understand the evolutionary role of autism, and it will all become clear to you. Your starting point is the square root law. Autism is not a disorder. It's part of what's normal.

Mother Nature is not dumb. She is very clever. She's had 4 billion years to acquire wisdom. Even with all our modern scientific achievements, we are no way close to her.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 12:20 pm

My body is ready.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 12:33 pm

I don't have any kind of allergies. Except maybe to housework. I always break out in yawns. :lol:

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2018, 6:08 pm

I only have mild pollen allergies mostly in spring the same as most other people.