Is the word "autistic" going to go the way of "ret*d"?

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NewTime
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 5:18 pm

Will the word "autistic" eventually be considered offensive, in need of replacement and referred to as the "A word"?

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jun 2018, 5:43 pm

I don't think so. I don't consider it offensive. Being autistic doesn't intrinsically mean anything bad. The r word, on the other hand, is offensive because it implies that one is inferior.

Amanda G23
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jun 2018, 5:49 pm

Probably, because autistic people are discriminated against and a lot of people seem to believe that you can cure discrimination by simply changing the name of the discriminated-against group.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

10 Jun 2018, 6:24 pm

The word Autistic is used as an insult on some forums instead of the word Trolling. I've seen mods post in threads things like "User was banned for autism".

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 7:25 pm

Unfortunately, I think it might. People seem to be using the word “autistic” to describe behavior they find weird or stupid much more frequently in recent years. I think with more public awareness comes more people using it as a slur or with a negative connotation. I don’t think it is a widely recognized as a slur yet as “ret*d,” but based on my experience dealing with some ridiculous, toxic teenagers all day long at school, lamentably I think it may be going in that direction at least to some extent :? .

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 7:32 pm

I think its more like the term Spaz than ret*d. It doesn't really bother me though.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 7:46 pm

I'm surprised it hasn't already. I'm expecting it to be replaced by something like, socioneurospectral divergence.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2018, 7:52 pm

Hopefully not. Its a perfectly fine word.

But it probably will be replaced by some euphemism, that will itself become an insult, to be replaced by another euphemism, that will...

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2018, 1:05 am

If we let it.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 5:40 pm

I think that word will eventually go that way.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 6:04 pm

I know I've said it before, but the problem is "autistic" has 2 definitions; The non-psychiatric one being a reference to "selfishness". Worse is that recently the two are being entirely conflated into a single broad sweeping insult.

The term may be pressed out of usage because it's hopelessly entangled with definition #2.

starcats
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 7:22 pm

Eventually? Now. People call each other autistic as an insult now. That doesn't change what it means to actually have autism, but it's annoying and adds to the stigma.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 7:24 pm

starcats wrote:
Eventually? Now. People call each other autistic as an insult now. That doesn't change what it means to actually have autism, but it's annoying and adds to the stigma.

You're right, but "eventually" referred to the word "autistic" being replaced (not eventually being used as an insult).

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 8:06 pm

Even if it becomes a slur I will continue to use it for myself. I still use ret*d as well to describe parts of myself. I have no problem using the words since I use them to mean what they actually mean and not as slurs. When I speak of others who have an ID I say Intellectual disability or ID but when I talk about myself and my emotional and social abilities I always say emotionally and socially ret*d.

Wreck It Ralph

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2018, 8:19 pm

EzraS wrote:
... I'm expecting it to be replaced by something like, socioneurospectral divergence.

"Divergence, noun: A receding from each other; a going farther apart; as the divergence of lines, or the angle of divergence." --Webster, 1828

Quite possibly since the antagonists (rather than us, I hope) cannot handle "parallel" or simply "neuroatypical".

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

12 Jun 2018, 9:40 pm

Perhaps as an insult, but "autistic" is a legitimate medical term that would be harder to phase out than "ret*d."