Page 2 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

23 Jul 2018, 1:28 pm

Basically, here's the situation:
I applied for the arcade in early May and they told me that they wouldn't hire until June for summer. I kept bugging them every week and told them how much I wanted the job, and that I have experience with kids as a sub parapro...but they wouldn't budge and then rejected me around the first day of summer.
I sent in applications to other places and usually within 3-5 days they rejected me. I call them every few days asking what's going on, sometimes I get a rejection and sometimes they tell me 'well, we haven't gone through them yet...' I try to look casual when I turn in the application...if I get an interview that's when I get the slacks and the nice dress shirt on. I make sure to smile and look at people, but they just reject me anyways, like I'm a throwaway. The HR person at Fred Meyer is back from vacation and we'll see what happens. Even 20 hours a week is a start. But our family really needs the money. Medical bills are piling up, rent went up by $75, and mom and I both need to save for new vehicles...the only one we have to share between the two of us, is 30 years old and surprisingly hasn't broke down yet!
I've never been this broke in my life! Financial aid refund last quarter was half of what I got the previous quarter - I only had about $1200 after classes were paid, and another $200 of that $1,200 went for books. :(

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 1:54 pm

An area that is only going to grow is personal caregiver for elderly and disabled people. These jobs aren't glamorous, but they are very much needed. It seems like a good fit for anyone interested in working with people.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2018, 2:01 pm

Yep....a growth industry---no doubt about it!

Us Baby Boomers are becoming your clients.....

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 12:02 am

My opinion (opinions are like butt holes) is f you can't find a job....you're not looking hard enough :)

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 12:05 am

I will withhold comment.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 12:39 am

auntblabby wrote:
I will withhold comment.

No, tell us.....please

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 1:01 am

trust me, you don't wanna hear it.

guitarman2010
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 4:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
trust me, you don't wanna hear it.

You're absolutely 100% correct! I don't want to hear it ☺

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2018, 12:44 pm

I have applied for two more jobs in the interim (Macy's and Cash & Carry - the latter is a grocery store for restaurant owners and shoppers who buy in bulk). I have also applied for a new full-time parapro position at a middle school about 8 miles away from me - Title I, so working with students who struggle with reading/writing. I've had a lot of experiences doing this when I was a sub, but my job record is still winless. I have called HR at Fred Meyer at least three times this week and no one answered the phone. I have no idea why he won't answer the phone (maybe on vacation) but this is making me pi$$ed. The Macy's job is receiving, stocking, barcoding, maintenance. Entry-level job. I did get a email from them saying that they will call me soon.

But with all this comes even more problem in our lives. Today is the last day I am able to reply on this website using Spectrum. We don't have the money to pay the over $200 bill, and they are shutting it off tomorrow. I hardly have any money left and my mom only has had enough to pay the power bill and buy some food. I have never gone through a period since I moved to Yakima, where I HAVE to use the public library to access the internet for a long-term period. THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN EVERYONE REJECTS YOU FROM A JOB!! :x :x :x :x
BTW my mom is unable to work because she is more disabled than I am. Bad arthritis.
On the other hand, the car isn't running that well either and now we are unable to open the hood because the hood release cable is jammed. It's been 100 degrees almost every day for a week now. We are unable to check the fluids without a mechanic...and how much $$$ will that be?! There are two interviews where transit doesn't run through that area...so I need the car! I have my license now (got it last month), but I've been running it...without any insurance :( because I can't afford it and no one will give me my first chance to make money...
So it looks like we'll have no internet here at the house for several days, until a family member can loan us $200 to pay Spectrum and restore my internet. No other choice here in Yakima, they own a monopoly on TV and internet in the valley. We just dumped the TV because the price kept going up. I'm praying, praying, praying, begging the lord Jesus Christ, please give me a chance to make money for my family. :(

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 1:43 pm

After your internet gets switched off, have your mom call and order it in her name. (Or you do it in yours - whoever wasn't on it before)

It's worth a try anyway.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

29 Jul 2018, 10:59 pm

Oh, I almost forgot (and internet gets cut off here in a couple hours if that...sadly) I will be heading to WorkSource (basically the state unemployment line) on August 1st for a hiring event, a brand new hotel is opening up in Union Gap (Holiday Inn Express). I would love the chance to work as a front desk person or something else in the hotel. Getting to meet new people from different places is a fun thing to do for me. Helping them find their rooms, especially in a brand new spankin' hotel, would be AWESOME! I'm just hoping they aren't going to push me towards the late night shift...the crime rate is high here and it gets pretty scary at night. Not to mention I AM a college student after all.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 11:21 pm

Have you registered with any temp agencies? I have done a lot of work as a temp. It's relatively easy to get hired and when you perform well, you will get plum assignments.

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

30 Aug 2018, 2:20 pm

Update 8/30/18...and still not good.
Every job I've applied for since last month - ALL rejected! This includes three or four paraeducator positions, one position at Fred Meyer, a front desk position at a brand new Holiday Inn Express, and another position for Cash & Carry (grocery store for restaurant owners/bulk foods) here in town. This morning I got a call from one of the schools I applied for - we hired somebody else, of course. They loved my interview. But it wasn't enough. :x :x WHY?! Of course, I worked as a substitute para last year but got fired from one of the districts due to false accusations. It's hurt me ever since.
The only GOOD news...internet is back on at home. But it took family members to help pay for the $287.00+ past due balance by Charter Spectrum. We don't have any extra money right now. I have barely enough to pay for a monthly bus pass right now. Our family car is broke down because water got into the oil. The motor's just about shot. We don't have an extra $3000 right now to get another car. Transit is limited to 6AM-6:30PM which is sad for a town of over 90,000. I can't work night jobs unless I can WALK to them. Can anyone in this godforsaken town tell me 'you're hired!'...for once? :(

I do have an EMERGENCY plan: set up an appointment with the newly-hired HR director in the school district that let me go from subbing, tell her what I actually said to the kid (not 'disgusting', but 'disrespectful', see the difference?) and hopefully they haven't blacklisted me entirely from the district. Because that's the only way I'll get money, besides robbing a bank :x
I am 20 1/2 years old, third year in college, going for an Elem Ed degree and STILL UNEMPLOYED. All of my friends have jobs. Why is the world not fair to me?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 9:57 pm

How did this thread start by being about GuyInABlackSuit and quickly turn into WAautisticguy?

BlackSuit, are you still reading? How's it going?

WAautisticguy
Toucan
Toucan

31 Aug 2018, 12:24 am

We're both in the same boat, unable to find work. The unemployment rate is really 'low' right now...but no one wants to hire me. :(
I applied for employment assistance at a local disability-help office last week, had a long meeting with the woman in charge, and if my application goes through, I'll be able to get help from a job coach who will help me find something that I'm able to do. So there's always an 'emergency plan'...but will it work? Same with the school district that fired me. Could they give me a second chance or am I screwed? We'll find out next week.