Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Reboot895
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Jun 2018, 7:24 am

I've been acknowledging that for the past 20 years (since I was about 20) I've had certain thoughts about gender dysphoria that I am seriously considering transition as an MtF transgender.

However the thing that bothers me, is that I have an informal diagnosis, a pre-assessment, as having all the signs, albeit potentially mild, of Aspergers.

There is no gender dysphoria as such, but I feel I would be better suited being a woman, even if when trying to dress up, I don't see a woman looking back at me. I am aware that having Aspergers, I will have a certain amount of Obsessions and Special Interests.

How do I know whether these gender thoughts are genuine, or just an obsession from Aspergers?

I've started seeing a gender therapist, but Im kind of wondering if I need to find someone who has more experience of Aspergers?

Reboot

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2018, 5:30 am

Reboot895 wrote:
How do I know whether these gender thoughts are genuine, or just an obsession from Aspergers?

I've started seeing a gender therapist, but Im kind of wondering if I need to find someone who has more experience of Aspergers?

Reboot

I think you know through self-reflection and/or work with your therapist. If it's just a special interest in transgender topics and experiences and not an actual identity for you then that is OK. I guess as a special interest it could be pretty fun to have really. There is no reason that you can't dress up, watch trans youtubers, go by a different name and pronouns with your friends, etc just because it's a special interest rather than being transgender. I'd say since you're questioning that it definitely makes sense to sort it out before starting to do anything permanent/long-term like medical transition or legal document changes.

One way to sort of self-assess if it's a special interest or if it's your identity is to compare which parts of the topic feel like your other special interests. For example, for me... my feeling of who I am isn't so much the same as how I find myself obsessed with things like database design, business, psychology, Steven Universe, Harry Potter, and Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. However, trans issues and politics certainly are. Style and fashion are. Trans youtubers I can say that I am hooked on like special interest level. The way I separate the two is my connections to my special interests absolutely link into repetitive behaviors. I get trapped in loops of behaviors and actions when I indulge in my special interests. My identity doesn't feel as wrapped in loops of repetitive behaviors for me... although I can't explain why it's different.

As for gender therapist... If you're already having success with your therapist, don't jump ship yet. Feel it out and bring up the topic of ASD. Most therapists have at least some knowledge of the condition and can work with you on it. If you aren't getting anywhere with the therapist then it might make sense to find someone who has experience with both transgender and autism stuff. I have thought about going back to therapy and I can say for sure that if I did, I would definitely seek out someone with experience in both topics.

Good luck! I hope you find the answers you're looking for ♥