Pros and Cons of being diagnosed Aspie over age 40?

Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Slug on a Bike
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

23 Jul 2018, 5:05 pm

Diagnosis provides me
a better foundation
for self care.

For instance,
instead of saying
I prefer time alone,
I can honestly say
I need time alone.

Benjamin the Donkey
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2018, 11:35 am

It's helped me to shift the way I think of myself.

I'm not a freak, I'm another kind of normal.

Moriath
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Aug 2018, 6:14 pm

Was diagnosed around 35. After a childhood of rarely fitting in and the struggle of holding everything together for work.

10+ years of going to work every day feeling sick, of sleeping most of a weekend to recover and start again.

It enabled me to make the choices I have done to alter the way I work and to manipulate and preparefor things so I have down time.

It has been positive for me.

graywyvern
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 11:55 am

i'm sort of glad the theory on this wasn't developed until recently, as (though i've always known i was different) i didn't let this self-definition limit me or my expectations of what i could do. i'm sure the theory will keep evolving, but i see no reason to become involved with "experts" who know less about the subject than i do. it's a label which has the single benefit of enabling a tribe. i have had other tribes. and i'm not that much like the others in this one, too.

reasoning." --William Blake

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Sep 2018, 7:38 pm

Welcome - my dx was at 58, so I know what a mind swirl it can be, a very helpful one in my case.

Citymale
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Sep 2018, 9:48 pm

Magna wrote:
Greetings All:

Technically this is my very first post. I'll swing over to the introduction post area but thought I'd start here.

I'm over 40 male and recently self-diagnosed. I've been doing a lot of research and I'm textbook across the board. I took an online test which, if I recall correctly, stated that any score over thirty something meant probable Aspie and I scored over fifty on the test.

I do not have a desire to seek a formal diagnosis for multiple reasons. I've made my way through the maze of life successfully enough at this age to be able to live among NT's.

The only pros I can see in seeking a formal Dx would be a sense of personal relief ("I knew it!") and I think it would perhaps help on some level with my wife ("See, there are reasons I act the way I act!").

Other than that, I have no desire to seek any medication, therapy, assistance, or anything else a mental health professional would offer me.

Are the members of this forum supportive of someone like me or are self/un-diagnosed Aspies considered a bit less welcome?

I am glad I wasn’t diagnosed because it ave me hope to try and become normal. My diagnosed feiwnd never bothered to get a job, but I did. On the other hand, a diagnosis would have pointed me toward guides on routine and how to adapt that would have helped me in school. I still think being diagnosed would have me more avoidant, not less.