Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2007, 12:59 pm

I was wondering whether anyone has a more up to date review on these? I think this would be very handy for my but a lot of them are very expensive still.

I'm quite interested in what your views of the bose quiet comfort 2 and 3? I don't actually mind having medium sized cans with nice comfy padding like the bose 2. It is comforting to have some pressure like some ear defenders I have. I don't see anything to gained with making it ultra light and compact without the low tech noise isolation as well. Ideally it would be good to have the nice isolation cans with the without too much weight of circuitry in the headphones themselves, though I think 200g is probably acceptable. I was wondering if the bose 3 was better for noise cancellation. There are just too pricey, Bose 2 are really too pricey as well but will get help for Christmas if they are really worth it.

What about the other ones? A lot of them seem a bit too dainty for me even if they are better value.
Audio Technica ATH-ANC7 look interesting. Still not cheap.

I need them to be really good. My hearing is tuned to hear light sweeping down the road. There is a constant stream planes flying overhead from the small hours till late a night. There are garbage trucks, road sweepers, pneumatic drills, JCB diggers, traffic, sirens, ASBO deserved church bells, and you name it. Usually all at the same time. I'm living with my folks in what is fast becoming the yuppie springboard of London. Not a day goes by where there isn't a side return or loft extension or garden being worked on plus screaming toddlers running around. I'd need it to deal with sweeping, circular saws, stone cutters, hammering, blow torches and chainsaws and hedge trimmers. As well as indoor stuff clicking pipes, arguing, phones and other rings and beeps.

I would quite like noise cancellation when I go to sleep because my hearing is most sensitive early in the morning. I can hear the inside of the latch mechanism of the door quite loudly. There is usually some moron that decides to ring up at day break (no offense sis :P ). It causes a flood of adrenaline into my tummy and shooting up my arms and make me feel like death. Unfortunately not to practical to wear headphones in bed.

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 1:08 am

Here's an alternative to the BOSE etc.
I haven't seen any, but you can check out the headphones online.--->PlaneQuiet NC Headphones

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 8:26 am

wsmac wrote:
Here's an alternative to the BOSE etc.
I haven't seen any, but you can check out the headphones online.--->PlaneQuiet NC Headphones

Looks a promising company but haven't quite cracked it yet according to the reviews.

Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7 is looking really good according to the reviews. I am torn between that and bose 2 at the moment.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2007, 9:21 am

Some one may have said this but I didn't want to read through three pages of replys...

I use earplug type ear phone they aren't earbuds (which are not capable of producing decent sound no matter where you buy them from) they actually go down inside your ear just like ear plugs. The sound is great and becuase it doesn't have to travel far you don't hear anything outside. I've used noise cancelling headphones before as well. Bose is the best stuff out there it's worth the money.

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

Margrethe
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2007, 9:28 am

I just got a pair of Skullcandy Smokin' Buds. They don't cancel out noise unless you listen to anything, but they're excellent if you listen to music.

KimJ
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 10:03 am

For some reason, I can't wear ear buds at all. They don't fit inside my ear and they hurt if I manage to get them in. I got noise cancelling headphones from Sony $50. With no music on, they don't really cancel out noise. They provide a white noise buffer. So, it does help with startling noises (which is my problem outside). If you have music on, it amplifies it which effectively cancels out the outside noise. The noise canceller runs on a AAA battery which runs a long time.

alex
Developer
Developer

10 Dec 2007, 10:17 am

AV-geek wrote:
Noise cancelling headphones are more than just sound-tight headphones that isolate out the exterior sound. They actually have a microphone that "listens" to the ambient noise that surround the headphones. They then make an exact "mirror" opposite sound wave that cancels out the ambient sounds. They are equipped with active electronics that do this. Yes, the shooting earmuffs probably work pretty good, but they are full-ear coverage, and probably would be uncomfortable after a while. Plus, passive earmuffs and earplugs don't do a good job on low frequencies the way an active system does.

you're not going to be able to get a good pair of active noise canceling headphones for less than $100 dollars. Your best bet is either Bose or Sennheiser.

here's a review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/06/14/techn ... ref=slogin

joeyThing81
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Dec 2007, 12:28 pm

i'm going to have to agree with the earplug headphones. They're a lot cheaper and smaller than active NC ones. Of course they're not as good, but i've found that with music on earplugs are good enough

something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-CX-300 ... 501&sr=8-1

it's nice. for me they block out most of the noise from the road i'm walking next to, the people talking next to me(which the actives won't get).

insomniakat
Raven
Raven

10 Dec 2007, 12:35 pm

I tried noise cancelling ear phones. They didn't do jack for me.

-Terry Pratchett, Jingo - Discworld

0_equals_true
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 1:50 pm

Wearing just ear defenders it just goes to show how much noise there is just listening to the hiss noises that are not cut out. Bulbs, computers any electrical equipment creates a high frequency noises. My brain doesn't filter enough of this stuff out. I would concentrate more if I didn’t have to listen to it.

KRIZDA88
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

10 Dec 2007, 2:52 pm

My ear phones are KOSS I got them from best buy they are inexpensive and work well, for best sound they should be replaced after a year or so of heavy use but decrease in sound quality is so gradual that you don't realize it unless you get a new pair. I don't use the "plugs" that came with the earphones because they don't stay compressed long enough to get them in your ear. I get the orange colored foam plugs from the website below. My dad has a pair of ear phones of the same type that are high quality and he even got custom plugs shaped to conform to his ears.

http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/sheaandmoac.html

-Bigfoot IS blurry, that's the problem. It's not the photographer?s
fault. He's a large, out-of-focus monster, and that's extra scary to me.

-If a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to see it, do the other trees make fun of it?

YowlingCat
Veteran
Veteran

10 Dec 2007, 5:57 pm

These definitely work, but may be too large for some female heads (and they're ugly, but so what). They're industrial strength:

http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2007/04/18/

http://www.21st-century-goods.com/page/ ... P/NBPA4000

Also, check out the rest of the Noisebuster headphones; they have some cheaper ones that work well.

Morrissey
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

10 Dec 2007, 6:10 pm

I use the Bose ones, in fact i'm wearing them right now!

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

11 Dec 2007, 1:12 am

0_equals_true wrote:
Wearing just ear defenders it just goes to show how much noise there is just listening to the hiss noises that are not cut out. Bulbs, computers any electrical equipment creates a high frequency noises. My brain doesn't filter enough of this stuff out. I would concentrate more if I didn’t have to listen to it.

I have always worn ear muffs/protectors/defenders/whatevers for things like vacuuming, grinding coffee, using the food blender, etc.
While vacuuming with them on, I learned how hard I step on my heels when walking.

I have been wondering if I could stop the tinnitus I have by blocking all external sound for a period of time.

I also was trying to think of a way to use noise-cancellation technology to emit a counter-wave to the noise in my head/ears to cancel out that and not have tinnitus anymore.

Then again... I'm not much of a scientist... just a dreamer :wink: