Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 10:27 am

Who are positive about autism have it easier?

It seems to be a common belief on this forum. I definitely don't think I have it easy, but not all that is hard is bad.

And a lot of people who are negative about it also seem to blame it for things it isn't responsible for, like abuse, depression, or bullying.

I don't think everyone has to love being autistic all the time, but just because I and others don't see it as bad doesn't mean we don't struggle as much as anyone else.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 10:46 am

So you have not met Lady Elaine on this forum. A sweet autistic young woman who has dealt with bullying.

Btw, depression, anxiety and bullying are the trio of effects common to autism. I'm not blowing smoke up your nose luv. My livelihood is in special education featuring autistic children.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 10:47 am

I think it has more to do with people having it easier when they are positive about themselves.

Conversely, people seem to have it harder what they are negative about themselves.

The issue of having autism (or not) seems to be secondary, although negative people do seem to blame everything except themselves more often than not.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 10:55 am

Being positive is great but it doesn't erase a lot of the realities.

The idea is to hone your strengths and play down your weaknesses.

Remember too now matter how positive YOU feel does not mean someone is automatically going to give you a chance. People can sense when there is something off about you and often are not going to give you brownie points for a zippity doo dah vibe on your part. Btw, I have that upbeat vibe as that is natural to me. I do click with certain people so I'm ok.

Okkano
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jul 2018, 11:52 am

Theres definetly alot of negatives, not all of them but alot from the unfit environment.
Easy doesn't equate to good for me, but its definetly frustrating to deal with NTs.
I enjoy the autistic way of percieving and processing things somehow.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 11:56 am

I think having a positive attitude does make things a little easier. Being negative all the time zaps energy and people won’t respond as well to you.

Positive energy can help us with a variety of mental and physical ailments as well. It doesn’t mean we have it easy, but I think it makes things easier than they would be otherwise.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 12:06 pm

I hate my ASD with a passion but I still know that I have it easier than some other people with ASD.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 12:11 pm

Even Quasimodo has SOME positive qualities.

I look at videos of autistic people all the time----of all sorts of functioning.

There's this cute 13-year-old girl who can't speak, and is "severe" in many ways. However, she has an infectious smile, and she is capable of making other people happy. If one would think "logically," one would see many negative aspects to her----but one doesn't have to think "logically." One has to only know that a smile goes a long way.

Even the most determined misanthrope......can modify his/her presentation when he/she is able to think about something like the Beauty of Nature.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 12:13 pm

I am not going to repeat the bad things about negative attitudes. Overdoing the positive attitudes can lead one to have unrealistic expectations making the letdown when expectations are not met to be more drastic.

When I am feeling bad about myself nothing makes me feel more annoyed if not worse about myself then some person preaching positivity with messianic zeal.

One should not be unrealistically down on oneself nor unrealistically conceited. Finding that balance seems very difficult for most people. Experience helps a lot but it is far from a cure.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Okkano

03 Jul 2018, 12:18 pm

I can't really talk about that, i don't even understand why other people keep going in life

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 12:20 pm

There's lots of things which are good in life besides people.

Nobody can take away the mountains from you.

Nobody can take away lakes and rivers.

Nobody can take away the grass.

It's there for you to enjoy. And it costs nothing, frequently.

Okkano

03 Jul 2018, 12:23 pm

It's the more deeper parts, how do mountains and such produce things like satisfaction

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 12:29 pm

Just by looking at them, and using your imagination.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 2:07 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
There's lots of things which are good in life besides people.

Nobody can take away the mountains from you.

Nobody can take away lakes and rivers.

Nobody can take away the grass.

It's there for you to enjoy. And it costs nothing, frequently.

My favorite thing is taking walks barefoot, and really feeling in touch with the ground

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jul 2018, 2:28 pm

You see....something that can't be taken away from you!

Okkano

03 Jul 2018, 2:56 pm

Sensory input is really bad for me for those kinda porpuses.