is it difficult for you to "let go" of negative experiences?

Page 5 of 6 [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 2:50 pm

Part of my problem with stress is because of me having troubles with letting negative experiences go. It seems like previous negative experiences has broken something within me so my body has begun to react with physical symptoms when ever I encounter something that causes even the slightest bit of stress or worry.
I recognize this as a problem I need to solve and wish to become more resilient to negative episodes because I have learned that it is simply impossible to avoid. Even if I try to be socially discrete I can witness the drama and conflicts from where I stand and I just know I can`t handle much of it my self anymore and I just stick to my discretion. So to me it feels necessary to shelter myself from more stressful experiences until I have found a way to deal with what I already have in my casket and are able to experience negative episodes without my body shutting down .. I don`t know how to say it.

It is a problem to me to be this fragile and it takes some strength to deal with and to stay strong despite of it. So far I try to focus on my goals, everyday tasks and the things I actually can do that will develop my life and abilities in a positive direction and force myself to not think about the negative experiences. I used to think about them all the time as if to try and "solve" the problems they held. As if I could make things right by analyzing everything over and over. But of course it only made them bigger and stronger and overwhelmed me. My mind didn`t want to let them go either, my thoughts got hung up with them and still will if I am not careful to control what I let my mind engage it self with(sorry if my English is really bad).

I will let myself be inspired by anyone and anything that offers a good and useful perspective on the issue. I am turning every stone to find something that might be useful ;) :D

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 3:10 pm

I'm sorry you're dealing with that. Have you looked at any information on Complex PTSD? In the States there's still some argument that PTSD only arises from actual injury (combat, car wrecks) - elsewhere there's more belief that any existential threat that is strong enough (workplace bullying, severe emotional abuse, or witnessing the injury or abuse of another) can produce it.

There are some MDs etc. in the States who take the wider view. As a survivor of severe bullying, I'm glad there are.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 3:58 pm

Thank you Esme :heart: I will look into it. I haven`t really so far because I have also thought of it as mainly connected with other types of experiences than mine.

At least I feel that positive experiences and comfortable activities are pushing away the memories of the bad. But still I have become hyper fragile and need to grow thicker skin :D

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 6:43 am

From a brutally honest standpoint, there has been time where I wished I had suffered brain damage resulting in memories of negative experiences were permanently erased;however, that would also mean the permanent removal of good ones too, so I do as best as I can to close my eyes to those torments as possible. :(

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 6:53 am

Some little things I can have trouble letting go of because I'm frustrated I didn't understand the situation at the time. When I think back then I realize how I wish I'd acted.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 6:57 am

This is literally impossible for me to do thanks to my crazy autobiographical Aspie memory I remember every single negative experience that has ever happened to me ever in my life with crystal clear clarity as if it happened 5 minutes ago.

This remains one of my greatest challenges and the greatest obstacle preventing me from really enjoying any sort of happiness whatsoever in life.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

20 Aug 2018, 8:24 am

Ms.Berg wrote:
Thank you Esme :heart: I will look into it. I haven`t really so far because I have also thought of it as mainly connected with other types of experiences than mine.

At least I feel that positive experiences and comfortable activities are pushing away the memories of the bad. But still I have become hyper fragile and need to grow thicker skin :D

Kitten hug:

Don't be too hard on yourself about the fragility. Xatrix' comment is relevant - we do archive things more accessibly in our memories, often. And the cumulative effect can be exactly as he describes. I've been shocked at how much more deeply some things affect me now vs. when I was 30ish (and thus had enough insight to be shocked then). But surprise, sometimes repeated exposure *sensitizes* instead of *desensitizing*.

Retirement has been wonderful for healing at least some of this, but it's slow work.

(and hi Xatrix, so good to see you, what you said resonates for me too. I thank god I don't have a truly eidetic memory, but what I have is challenging enough. Lately I've found that, finally being retired, I can actually go into the stacks and pull out *happy* stuff. This has been a welcome surprise.)

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 6:34 am

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:
Ms.Berg wrote:

Kitten hug:

Don't be too hard on yourself about the fragility. Xatrix' comment is relevant - we do archive things more accessibly in our memories, often. And the cumulative effect can be exactly as he describes. I've been shocked at how much more deeply some things affect me now vs. when I was 30ish (and thus had enough insight to be shocked then). But surprise, sometimes repeated exposure *sensitizes* instead of *desensitizing*.

Retirement has been wonderful for healing at least some of this, but it's slow work.

(and hi Xatrix, so good to see you, what you said resonates for me too. I thank god I don't have a truly eidetic memory, but what I have is challenging enough. Lately I've found that, finally being retired, I can actually go into the stacks and pull out *happy* stuff. This has been a welcome surprise.)

Thanks Esmerelda, I appreciate your support. I have often wished for a much shorter memory and a memory that wasn't so crystal clear because many think that this is an advantage but it really is a curse and the worst kind.

Not being able to forget makes it that much more difficult to forgive. Unfortunately that goes hand-in-hand. I have tried many times to go into a state of disassociation (a zombie-like state) to deal with this autobiographical recall system I seem to have been cursed with but it never works. And it leaves me terribly vulnerable to bullying and people taking advantage of me.

Perhaps I shall take a page from your book and retire and then perhaps many of my bad memories will fall away and I can go into the stacks and pull out the happy stuff like you can.

Love you Esmerelda! :heart:

:D

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 12:51 pm

Magna wrote:
Humans characteristically recall positive experiences they've had in life. It's considered unhealthy to recall negative experiences. We're encouraged to "let go" of the negative experiences.

That's hard for me to do. I'm not so sure recalling certain negative experiences that may simply be part of an overall memory is unhealthy.

Here's an example from my life to illustrate what I mean:

I like going to grocery stores when they're not crazy busy. I could spend hours looking at all the different products and I enjoy reading the food ingredients labels. Some years ago, however, my wife and I were in a local grocery store walking through the produce section and one of the workers was using a small "shop-vac" to vacuum up errant onion skins from the onion display. There was something dreadfully wrong with the vacuum as it was emitting a piercingly loud metallic screech. I was almost yelling out loud and my NT wife was also in discomfort. She found a store manager and told him about the issue and he, thankfully, told the employee to shut off the vacuum.

Flash forward to recently. My wife and I were on the subject of grocery stores. She knows I enjoy most of them very much. I proceeded to say: "You know that I definitely like going to grocery stores. Except for that time when that vacuum was making that piercing noise. I did NOT like it then!" She lovingly said in reply: "I know, but that was a long time ago and that was just one time, right?" I agreed. I will never forget that experience because of the vacuum.

ANOTHER EXAMPLE in which my wife has been less tolerant.............

Close to ten years ago, my sister got married. It was a happy and momentous occasion. Being her brother, my wife and I and our two children, who at the time were toddlers, sat up front at the reception as part of the "wedding party". I like cake and wedding cakes generally are even more delicious. I was very much looking forward to having cake at the end of the meal. We were nearing the end of the meal (getting close to cake time!) but our two children were clearly fatigued from the long day and were starting to get cranky and "antsy". My wife and I planned on leaving to head home after we had cake for that reason. I left the table to get one of our children some water or something right when the cake service was starting. When I came back to the table I was dismayed to see one of the groom's young nephews finishing the last bite of the piece of cake that was set out at my setting just before he started to enjoy his own piece of cake. Not to worry, no need for panic, I would just go get another piece for myself. HOWEVER.....it was just at that moment that our two toddlers finally had had enough and started melting down in impressive fashion. We had to leave abruptly. No cake for me.

Yes, I freely admit that through the years I have brought up the fact on multiple occasions, to both my wife and to my sister, that my brother-in-law's nephew ate my piece of cake. My wife says: "LET IT GO!". I told her she may be misunderstanding me in that I'm not mad about it, I don't lay awake at night obsessing about it, nor do I have ill will toward the nephew. More power to him. It's something that happened to me that was significant for that specific reason and the idea of never bringing it up again is hard for me to grasp. My wife says she never wants to hear about the cake story ever again. I think I'll be able to comply, but I'm sure if and when the story pops into my mind again, it will be hard for me not to bring it up.

Does anyone else have similar difficulty with letting negative things from the past "go"?

I've had negative experiences in the past and even recently The best way i let them go is to just accept that it happened and move on. I mean no offense but that cake incident considering that it happened 10 years ago is quite ridiculous to be still holding the grudge. I mean sure you should not obsess over the negatives like remember the fun times you have at the grocery store and not just the bad times. Like you clearly don't have the same kinda truama as i do but like most of it i barely even remember and i can tell you that it's not good to block out things. It just makes it worse when they do come out. Like if those are the negative experiences i'd consider that a blessing not to have any worse negative experiences that come to mind. I disagree its' not unhealthy to recall negative experiences. It's unhealthy to obsess over them. Recalling negative experiences is the way you get over them. Once you accept the negative experience it won't be nearly as painful to remember it. Some memories are to traumatic to actively recall and are to blocked out but the ones that aren't it's healthy to relive and getover it. It's way more difficult for me to let go of negative emotions than to let go of negative experiences.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 7:58 pm

:-) thank you Xatrix, I do hope the "retirement cure" works for you too when it's time :-)

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 1:02 pm

I can forgive, but often the experience tends to stay. I mean... Put it this way. If I get one of those evenings where I get a pressurized claustrophobic minds where thoughts can come to me quickly (Unusual for me as I am a slow but deep thinker and I seem to be always thinking (Is always thinking normal?)) where I often replay many negative situations in my mind.

lvpin
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2019, 2:00 pm

I can't let go of things. I will make a small social mistake and it will be filed away forever in a library of similar small moments that no body cares about. I will agonise over them and freak out for days. For example, I misunderstood a comment my friend made about not wanting to see me too often as it becomes overwhelming and even after she explained her true meaning it was burned into my memory and has affected how I contact her ever since. A similar experience happened with my mother and her saying she believed a FEW meltdowns were subconscious attention seeking and I took that as every time I struggle people think I'm trying to get attention. Years later and I'm still terrified everyone will turn on me when I leave a room.

It's definitely shaped me and not for the better. I was bullied in primary school and when I finally though I'd fond an amazing friend, it was revealed to me in front of my bullies that she never liked me and only talked to me because the teacher told her to. I was mortified and now, nearing a decade later, I never feel truly safe with my friends or trust people fully after another set of things involving my dad.

MagicKnight
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Nov 2019, 1:41 pm

Short answer this time: yes. That's difficult for me.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 2:08 pm

Yes. But that's normal I think. As sometimes, when I get times where I feel like my head will explode, any past experiences whic have not have been dealt with in a satisfactory way come back at speed... So I do all I can in life to make sure I resolve any issues so I have not hurt anyone...

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 2:19 pm

I was 13 when two kids made an attempt on my life throwing rocks, I was groomed and abused, I was mocked and threatened daily by thugs till the age of 28, when all of a sudden I "got in touch with my anger" and started to turn the tables on them. I was a perfect victim because I let everything go for years, but in the process of reversing my situation I became stubborn and vindictive.

Things have evened out over the last 20 years, my PTSD is much better and I don't allow so many opportunities for people to take advantage. In the last few years I'm finding it harder to get over my own failures, whenever I let myself or other people down.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2019, 2:22 pm

This is where having a wonky cloudy memory is to my advantage.