Saying random words sometimes without intention

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 3:25 pm

Something I have always done all through my life.

Where I would sometimes just quietly say random words. Sometimes I could be watching a TV show and I end up imitating what the person said. Or I might just say a word like ‘yeah’ or ‘good’ with no intention of saying those words. Sometimes there maybe a little bit of anxiety or a bit of stress going on in my life which I have trouble dealing with. Sometimes I might say random words like that quietly post-meltdown.

Does this make any sense at all.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

05 Jul 2018, 7:56 pm

My girlfriend does things like that a lot. Sometimes she also speaks in gibberish or says random sentences. She tends to say the same things more often. These things tend to happen more when I ask her questions about something. It's like she's unsure of the answer or is stressed out or anxious thinking about it & she answers with something random. It also happens more when she's hyper. We're both on the spectrum but have lots of other mental issues so I don't really know what the cause/disorder it's related to.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

mawilegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

05 Jul 2018, 9:10 pm

You are not alone! I also do that too. I also even sometimes end up imitating what the characters in cartoons or anime say, as well! (I didn't really notice it until my bf pointed it out, though :oops:) But, I do think that's a common thing for us aspies, so don't worry!! :)

Level 2 ASD diagnosed

Magna
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2018, 9:55 pm

I've imitated tv characters since I was a kid. Random words that catch my interest I'll say out loud in different ways because I like playing with the sounds. I do this when I'm alone usually. One that pops up from time to time that I'll vocalize:

Arbogast
Ar-Bo-Gast
Arrrrrrr-Bo-Gast
Ar-Bo-GasssssssssssssssssT

You get the idea.

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

05 Jul 2018, 11:54 pm

I do this all the time. Except I've been told not to, so now I usually just whisper the words or phrases.

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2018, 3:37 am

Another good example was when I was at school. I was in a lesson where the teacher said something I think it was towards the line of ‘We are coming towards the end of the lesson.’ At that moment I said ‘good!’ Which was very out of character for me to do something like that. Truth was, I didn’t intend to say ‘good’ but the problem was I had an anxiety issue at the time and it was that issue that made me say it. Because I was in a what was called a ‘Communication Provision.’ I was sent to the CP Classroom with my ‘support teacher’ to talk about what was making me anxious. At least, there was a bit of understanding on the schools part.

Lorrent
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jul 2018, 4:40 am

As far I remember, it's called echolalia. It's prett common amongst us. I love to do it too, especially repeating from my favourite tv series.

RAADS-R: 134