Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 2:46 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLX7sKOBsrM

Oh well. I guess we had better solve the problems here on earth.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 7:53 pm

It's sad how these stars are so far away. :(

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2018, 10:30 pm

Unless we genetically alter humans then the world will continue to be a mess.

Tanker
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Jul 2018, 6:01 am

there are alternatives, but those are far...FAR off. alcubierre drive, wormholes, functional immortality...

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 6:14 am

The majority of science we monkeys don’t understand, so I don’t see us going anywhere unless a meteorite gives us a chance to start over. Humans are a massive embarrassment at the moment.

Bring back Atlantis.

I have no doubt that alien life could have harnessed the power of light somehow and achieved something unknown our earthly dill brains.

No doubt at all. I’ve seen lights outside of the atmosphere bobbing around weirdly then blasting out of sight.

Humans are stupid and arrogant thinking they know so much, and having the rudeness to ridicule anything out there.

99.9% of alien life is probably made up of microbes, but due to the vast size of even the visible universe, it leaves us with unlimited possibilities. I don’t doubt technology exists, and it’s probably visited earth.

Most UFO sightings are probably fake, but some are real. My eyes don’t lie.

Embarrassing.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 2:13 pm

Although we won't be going to other stars, humans in the far future may do so.

There is also a chance that future humans may discover new sources of energy. The scientific community still does not fully understand the nature of dark energy or dark matter. For all we know, we could travel across the universe with engines powered by dark energy - the energy which powers the expansion of the universe.

Of course, dark matter and dark energy could also be used to make powerful weapons. Imagine a bomb that uses the power of the big bang to kill and destroy.

Perhaps we could also use dark energy to build miniature pocket universes, connected to our big universe through wormholes. Ever since I was a kid, I have always wanted to live in a pocket universe.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 2:29 pm

It's generally understood that one can reach quite high speeds rather quickly if able to accelerate continuously. In The Expanse there's a generation ship built by Mormons that IIRC is expected to reach Alpha Centauri in much less than 19k years, although I don't recall exactly how much time they foresee. The reason for this is the hypothetical Epstein Drive that allows for that sort of constant acceleration (as well as "artificial gravity").

However, the big problem with this is that there are bigger impediments to achieving high speed than just the Speed of Light. It's my understanding that if you approach even one tenth the speed of light, the impact of even the most microscopic dust particle would be enough to blow your vessel apart. So mankind will probably not even come close to being limited by the speed of light.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2018, 4:08 pm

Perhaps we should be glad that everything is so far away. That way, we won't be attacked by alien space ants.

Of course, we could still be attacked by beings from a parallel universe. I would like that though. I would totally have gay sex with the evil parallel version of myself.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2018, 5:34 am

MaxE wrote:
It's generally understood that one can reach quite high speeds rather quickly if able to accelerate continuously. In The Expanse there's a generation ship built by Mormons that IIRC is expected to reach Alpha Centauri in much less than 19k years, although I don't recall exactly how much time they foresee. The reason for this is the hypothetical Epstein Drive that allows for that sort of constant acceleration (as well as "artificial gravity").

However, the big problem with this is that there are bigger impediments to achieving high speed than just the Speed of Light. It's my understanding that if you approach even one tenth the speed of light, the impact of even the most microscopic dust particle would be enough to blow your vessel apart. So mankind will probably not even come close to being limited by the speed of light.

Technically, yes. But if there was some way to convert matter to energy before travelling that fast, would it matter if it gets blown apart, if there is a way to put it back together?

Also this could be a very minor problem with technology that repels particles. If a being is able to travel that fast, repelling particles is likely childs play.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jul 2018, 10:45 am

Will there be cops in space in the future?

If so, I hope they don't discriminate against beings made of dark matter. :lol: