Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 8:56 am

I haven’t been doing research mostly because of my health, but let me tell you, it was not just that. There is a definite feeling in autism research that it is dangerous to talk too much about the benefits of autism.

A high number of autistics (I would say most) have an error finding ability superior to NTs. Autistics do tend to have much higher ethics than other people, and a superior ability to focus. If these traits were eradicated from society, we would essentially be living in that movie Idiocracy, where people water plants with Gatorade and no one can read.

We owe a lot of our advances and comforts to different thinkers. Autistics are probably our most powerful and useful type of different thinkers. I think the OP is correct in saying that you guys threaten society, but for those who don’t want to see it advance.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 10:57 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I haven’t been doing research mostly because of my health, but let me tell you, it was not just that. There is a definite feeling in autism research that it is dangerous to talk too much about the benefits of autism.

I hope you feel better.

What you say about researchers concurs with the language used in most of the studies I have posted here. It goes well beyond that. Autism is seen as so bad that is ok to tout the most preliminary studies as a potential if not actual breakthroughs. It is all about money. Very few want to spend money studying something that is not seen as broken. If something is seen as a existential threat it becomes ok to throw caution to the wind, to skirt and break rules in order to stop the threat ASAP.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 1:59 pm

Exuvian wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Threaten society?????

Nonsense.

We autistics are like the Mob.

We only kill our own.

My cousin Vinny says it'd be a real shame if that post of yours got... moderated. :shrug:

Havent woken up with a horse head next me yet. So I am not worried...

HEY! Someone just turned on the jukebox...Its that song by Journey.... 8O I'M DOOOOMED!! !! !

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 2:14 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:
... A high number of autistics ... have an error finding ability superior to NTs. Autistics do tend to have much higher ethics than other people, and a superior ability to focus....
These talents are what keep me employed ... most of the time.
SocOfAutism wrote:
... I think the OP is correct in saying that you guys threaten society, but for those who don’t want to see it advance.
Same here.

It seems that a lot of tyrannical people get put in charge, and then they'll distort, exaggerate, and even lie about the facts to motivate their underlings to do their dirty-work for them. I've lost previous jobs because I submitted fact-based reports on why projects weren't getting completed or why completed projects failed soon after release. I named names and cited references; I re-worked the maths and photocopied documents; I even obtained depositions from vendors and sub-contractors as to what the real terms of contracts were agreed upon. What was my reward for being so ethical and honest?

Unemployment.

The average corporate leader will publically declare that everyone in the organization adheres to the highest standards of ethical behavior; but let one person expose that declaration as false, and guess which person gets told to "shut up and ship out"?

Hint: It's not the corporate leader...

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Exuvian
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2018, 8:52 pm

SocOfAutism wrote:

A high number of autistics (I would say most) have an error finding ability superior to NTs. Autistics do tend to have much higher ethics than other people, and a superior ability to focus. If these traits were eradicated from society, we would essentially be living in that movie Idiocracy, where people water plants with Gatorade and no one can read.

We owe a lot of our advances and comforts to different thinkers. Autistics are probably our most powerful and useful type of different thinkers. I think the OP is correct in saying that you guys threaten society, but for those who don’t want to see it advance.

If reading was really an exclusive autistic skill as you suggest, it would make diagnosis much easier. Fortunately for us all things aren't quite that dire.