I really Don't feel Loyal to my County.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 11:34 pm

I really have tried to get this off my chest for years, but as the years go on, I feel way less loyal to my country. It is not just that the government does not know how to manage money, tramples on civil liberties, or intervenes in other countries (although that adds to the mix), the culture, people, cities, ideas, etc. for the most part at this moment in time make me nauseous. I like what the US has produced, but it seems like civic, community, culturally, and such is pretty well dead, or if not "dead" is a facade that holds no real value. I am tired of supporting it and acting like my homeland is the s**t. Once I get my s**t in line, I really think I will take up Spanish and move to Latin America, at least in some areas it is still real, for better or for worse. Why should I care about my "people" when they don't give a s**t about me? I feel more loyal to a certain Latin American country, despite being more corrupt, smaller, and poorer than the US, but if you ask me that is comparing apples to oranges since they were dealt a s**t hand but I think are making the best of it. Further, I feel at one with it's capital, almost a spiritual bond to it, like they are my spiritual people. Anyone ever feel like flipping off the culture then leaving? Or like anything I described?

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 11:44 pm

I've considered bagging up my hacker trappings & moving to Shenzhen to disappear behind some machines. I could only do it part time if I did go for that.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2018, 11:54 pm

China would not be so bad, at least s**t is happening there, in other words, it has a culture worth preserving. Again I don't want to come against the US for being the US, but I would say sine 9/11 and further since 08' things have really gone in the gutter. Maybe I will backpack for a bit then settle down. Just hopefully I can get my invention off the ground and sell it for a nice tidy profit then go meld into somewhere.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 12:04 am

I should mention I'm also lucky to live in the stoner capital of the west so we're kind of like our own autonomous zone.

The wild west thing didn't really stop FWIW.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 12:29 am

I don't feel loyal to a lot of things going on in it. But I am not even 'anti-american' or whatever I just see a lot of harmful things going on in this country and I don't support those things. I mean I was born here and I love this country in a sense...but i mean lately the politics have disgusted and disappointed me and I mean even before that I disagreed with things that happened. But yeah I would like to see this country progress and not regress, I mean seems the current GOP wants to make us a third world country with a few wealthy overlords on top. I have seen some about countries like that, and its not good...yet seems some political figures/leaders are pushing for that kind of system here. For instance trump complimenting and being all buddy, buddy with figures like Putin and Kim Jong-un like WTF, those are not cool people to hang with.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 12:35 am

Just loving the country sure doesn't mean we have to take ownership of all the BS that goes on here. I know some pretty places & the Civilian Conservation Corp. did some amazing stuff but this place is pretty bent out of shape. Considering we're supposed to be a land of opportunity, it's a nasty surprise that years of professional experience see me treated worse than many janitors.

Pretty often I jump in my car & leave my home town all day. Even though it's supposed to be all liberal & 'tolerant', that still just means center-right. I think the solution is not to waste mental or emotional energy on a culture of greed, violence & superficiality. Find the people around you who live larger than all this nonsense.

Last edited by cberg on 26 Jul 2018, 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 12:35 am

IDK maybe it is not so much disloyalty as dissatisfaction.

zacb
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 12:47 am

But it is not even that (politics). As I mentioned it contributes to it, however people, culture, etc. has been annoying me way before Trump, or even Obama became president. Instead of acquiring more knowledge and a greater technological society, we are digressing (for the most part, outside maybe medical advancement), our culture is not even close to soulful, and people are WAYYYY shallow (guys included, only really interested in video games). What ever happened to an educated society that was reaching for more or the hope for a better tomorrow? Are those all but dead in the US? And again that is putting aside income inequality, the debt, federal reserve, etc. .

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 1:17 am

zacb wrote:
But it is not even that (politics). As I mentioned it contributes to it, however people, culture, etc. has been annoying me way before Trump, or even Obama became president. Instead of acquiring more knowledge and a greater technological society, we are digressing (for the most part, outside maybe medical advancement), our culture is not even close to soulful, and people are WAYYYY shallow (guys included, only really interested in video games). What ever happened to an educated society that was reaching for more or the hope for a better tomorrow? Are those all but dead in the US? And again that is putting aside income inequality, the debt, federal reserve, etc. .

I am not even sure there is any real culture for this country.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 1:47 am

I wish more and more I was born in a commonwealth nation. as an amuurican, the best days are long past. it's only going downhill from here over here.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 1:58 am

auntblabby wrote:
I wish more and more I was born in a commonwealth nation. as an amuurican, the best days are long past. it's only going downhill from here over here.

IDK I wish people would quit saying that...like yeah it is going downhill right now. But why can't we resist it and have hope to defeat the corruption. I mean half those stories I read of people in the holocaust and WW2 who survived....like you can't just give up. Don't give up. Like seriously if everything really goes to s**t I want to at least fight for survival...I don't plan to just lay down and die. I mean worst case me and my boyfriend hijack a cool vehicle and mad max it out, of course we would want to get some guns but yeah....no laying down and dying survival will be the goal in that case.

I mean maybe it is terrible to romanticize a post apocalyptic setting, but who knows we could face it in our lifetime. Some places have faced it in history already, such as Japan.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:00 am

humanity on earth is roughly divided between a third good, a third swinging either good or bad, and a third outright bad. the bad are winning at dragging the swing either way down with them. this can't end well. civilization will likely end not with a bang but with a whimper.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:07 am

zacb wrote:

I just don't know that, that society ever really even existed. I mean from what I gather even our space program was influenced by germans. The actually got former nazi scientists to you know help us in the U.S advance our space program. So like the harsh truth is we never really had that culture you describe... like in actuality that is not a thing that existed ever. Well except maybe in the minds of some of the founding fathers. But yeah the harsh truth is the U.S has never been ahead for finding hope for a better tomorrow.

Well except the constitution was written but the current GOP is omitting the part of freedom of the press and just getting people worked up about limits on guns as if it violates the second amendment which just says you can bear arms it does not say you can bear any arms regardless of anything forever. Granted some right wingers interpret it as the latter.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:10 am

You're right Sweetleaf I of all people should have a 4wd truck full of gadgets & survival gear. I don't, I have a turbocharged sofa with a ski box & now I feel kind of stupid. At least my insurance gets cheaper when I'm 25.

edit: :lol: there is no WAY I'd buy American unless I can afford a serious monstervan.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:14 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
Well except the constitution was written but the current GOP is omitting the part of freedom of the press and just getting people worked up about limits on guns as if it violates the second amendment which just says you can bear arms it does not say you can bear any arms regardless of anything forever. Granted some right wingers interpret it as the latter.

Calling news fake should be persecuted as slander or libel unless the fake story is unverifiable.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2018, 2:16 am

auntblabby wrote:
humanity on earth is roughly divided between a third good, a third swinging either good or bad, and a third outright bad. the bad are winning at dragging the swing either way down with them. this can't end well. civilization will likely end not with a bang but with a whimper.

Yes that is probably all true, but why not fight against it....Just seems there are too many people willing to just lie down and let it happen. Like what the hell, if you people really care about the freaking environment than stand the f**k up and help make a stand. I mean am I the only one that says 'dont give up hope, fight this thing'? Like what is wrong with people....we can make a difference we can, freaking hell. I mean if its pointless anyways then you don't lose anything by fighting right. I guess I just don't get this attitude I've seen of people who might otherwise are about the environment saying. 'oh f**k it we're screwed anyways...we already lost bla bla bla.' Well if that is all the enthusiasm humanity has for addressing problems of the world than we really are in trouble.