Do NTs Perceive You as Intellectually Disabled?

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

TheSlytherinAspie7
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2018, 4:33 pm

Throughout my life, I've been labeled a plethora of insults. The one I despise the most is people thinking I have an intellectual disability. I have Dyspraxia and my hands shake often. I also have a difficult time enunciating certain sounds and performing basic motor functions. Due to this tragic flaw, people treat me as though I'm lacking in the cognitive department. Occasionally, it takes me a few moments to process what was said to me. Is every NT this ignorant. If I took a shot Everytime people have spoken to me like I was braindead, I'd be long gone.

FilipSwagson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2018, 5:22 pm

yes, im having the same problem, through out my life people have litteraly spoken to me as if i was a dog or a special creature, both by kids and adults. And that, being spooken too like a far inferior, is the most acceptance i've acvieved in my life. I must say it autism, is surely a curse for me, it's both affecting my psyke deeply disturbing me, and my neurological system inflicting physical pain, and having poor control over my body.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 6:22 pm

I have moderate autism that looks more severe and dyspraixa. So there's the autism posturing and stimming plus the cerebral palsy like motor function problem that also affects my ability to speak. So I get talked to that way, when talking to me like an ordinary person is preferred. Aspies have done this to me as well so it's not just an NT thing. Not that it doesn't bother me, but I have to chalk it up as just being human nature.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 6:46 pm

Many people during my earlier life saw me as being intelligent, but couldn't figure out why I got poor grades and had poor peer relations at school. But the psychiatrist who diagnosed me with Asperger's in 2001 thought at first that I was "mildly mentally ret*d". She later decided I couldn't be because I was "too smart".

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 7:04 pm

Now that they know my diagnosis? All the time. I'm officially funny in the head; they're not. Therefore, they have authority over me about anything, because they can always invoke common sense, which is necessarily on their side. Even when they contradict one another, or their earlier selves.

Give people a way to subjugate you and they will.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 7:17 pm

TheSlytherinAspie7 wrote:
Throughout my life, I've been labeled a plethora of insults. The one I despise the most is people thinking I have an intellectual disability. I have Dyspraxia and my hands shake often. I also have a difficult time enunciating certain sounds and performing basic motor functions. Due to this tragic flaw, people treat me as though I'm lacking in the cognitive department. Occasionally, it takes me a few moments to process what was said to me. Is every NT this ignorant. If I took a shot Everytime people have spoken to me like I was braindead, I'd be long gone.

My experience is that people don't expect girls or young women to be more than average in intelligence. If one is a female who is deficit in facial expressions and social aesthetics the effect is even more pronounced.

I recall when I was a teenager, asking the doctor if I might have heliobacter pylori. He was quite taken that a teenaged girl would know that term.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 7:30 pm

I’ve never actually thought way about women. I used to envious of the girls in my English classes. They were intelligent to me; a few of them seemed like prodigies.

My parents treated me like I was a social misfit more than like I was intellectually disabled. I was called ret*d by kids.....but I never thought they saw me as intellectually disabled.

It was more that I was “socially ret*d.”

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2018, 7:46 pm

Chronos wrote:
I recall when I was a teenager, asking the doctor if I might have heliobacter pylori. He was quite taken that a teenaged girl would know that term.

If I'd said that, they sure as hell wouldn't have let it slide without going out of their way to highlight my inferiority as a dumb, ignorant kid talking with an adult who knows their s**t.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 12:35 am

Spiderpig wrote:
Chronos wrote:

If I'd said that, they sure as hell wouldn't have let it slide without going out of their way to highlight my inferiority as a dumb, ignorant kid talking with an adult who knows their s**t.

Sometimes "dumb, ignorant" kids know their s**t too and the adult is going to have to find a way to cope with that.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 2:52 am

No.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 3:48 am

Quite the contrary - I've been told that I'm a smart young man.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 5:26 am

Chronos wrote:
Sometimes "dumb, ignorant" kids know their s**t too and the adult is going to have to find a way to cope with that.

I wonder in what universe that ever happens. My experience is that authority figures (or anyone at all, but I digress) never have to reason with you; they'll just remind you of their authority in increasingly unpleasant ways till you're forced to shut up in shame.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 6:44 am

It’s just not as simple as that....

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 7:08 am

Not "every NT" acts like that

But many do

Misconception

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 7:33 am

Chronos wrote:
TheSlytherinAspie7 wrote:

My experience is that people don't expect girls or young women to be more than average in intelligence. If one is a female who is deficit in facial expressions and social aesthetics the effect is even more pronounced.

WTF is heliobacter pylori?

I am pretty sure that if ….I....., a middle aged man, were to say that to a doctor, that the doctor would be dumbfounded. That's because I am a medical layman.

Your doc was amazed because you were a teenager (on top of being a layperson). I seriously doubt that your gender figured into his reaction. If anything a grown up might expect a highschool girl to be more booksmart than guys her age.

Not saying that that kind of prejudice against females may not exist. Just that that particular anecdote is not evidence of such.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2018, 7:57 am

Sometimes yeah in the times I was foolish enough to reveal having an asd.