Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

khrysteena
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jul 2018, 2:07 pm

I'm very curious as to if clinical depression manifests differently/adversely in people with ASD versus neurotypicals. I know that at times, people with depression or other mental illnesses can be described as non-neurotypical due to the chemical imbalances and processing changes associated, but I still feel as though it manifests slightly differently.

If this isn't the case, are these notable variations due to differences in outward expressions or behaviours between these two groups? And if so, does that mean that the disease actually manifests the same way physically (internally by the person with the condition) but is received differently by society (the non-affected party)?

I'm not sure if I worded this correctly but I often find people dismiss my depression until it becomes extremely severe but is notable in my siblings and quickly addressed. If it's the way I'm expressing my distress, how can I adjust so that people can notice and help me?

Any thoughts on this?

Child of the Universe
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2018, 6:56 pm

I’m not currently depressed but I was in the past.

For me, depression involved being less interested in my special interests, having meltdowns more often, having less emotions or being more unable to recognize them, and having suicidal thoughts. In some ways, it was very similar to NT depression.

structrix
Veteran
Veteran

06 Sep 2018, 10:07 am

I don't think it would manifest differently. All depression is diagnosed by the same criteria.

I am an Aspie!
Diagnosed as an adult