Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:03 pm

Rap is rap is rap ... largely monolithic and homogenous in most respects. Some of it may be good; but I may never know, mainly for two reasons: (1) I have stopped actively seeking out rap, and (2) My preference is in the interplay of melody and harmony, above a solid bass line and backed by simple percussion (i.e., "Irish Traditional", "Motown", "Blues" and other real musical forms).

If a rap piece comes on the radio, I'll give it a chance; but if it's just more of the same old crap, then I'll turn down the volume or find another station.

IMHO, the term "Rap Music" is an oxymoron.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:35 pm

political "rap" is the best!!

how does one define rap anyway... it's not the same as hip pop, which has more of a sound/ style/ aesthetic tradition linked with american culture (n other less dominant cultures trying to emulate that)

and a more light hearted one which went viral in italy when i was young! :heart:

more italian rap that i liked (it's hard for me to understand cos they use dialect) ~

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:43 pm

rap (n): a form of vocal delivery that incorporates rhyme, rhythmic speech, and street vernacular (including slang terms and profanity) without melody or harmony; usually performed over a back-beat or musical accompaniment (usually sampled and/or looped); and expressing themes that focus on racist and/or sexist imagery, violent acts (especially against law-enforcement, women, and white people), and self-aggrandizement of the performer.

Did I miss anything?

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:46 pm

Fnord wrote:
rap (n): a form of vocal delivery that incorporates rhyme, rhythmic speech, and street vernacular (including slang terms and profanity) without melody or harmony; usually performed over a back-beat or musical accompaniment (usually sampled and/or looped); and expressing themes that focus on racist and/or sexist imagery, violent acts (especially against law-enforcement, women, and white people), and self-aggrandizement.

Did I miss anything?

you're talking about american rap. in italy the narratives in rap are not about white / black people or police brutality as much because our priorities are different. US centric definitions are not surprising as the style was exported but re adapted into other cultural settings with different meanings and purposes attached to them.

there are some attempts by italian rappers to take on stereotypical subject matters such as women and law enforcement but it's basically a meme. The songs i linked are more about regional/ political social issues in italy.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:50 pm

une rappeuse française que j'aime bien! ~

"n'oublié pas que c'est par election que est arrivée Hitler"

same with Trump.

Last edited by Gallia on 11 Aug 2018, 12:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:53 pm

Gallia wrote:
Fnord wrote:
rap (n): a form of vocal delivery that incorporates rhyme, rhythmic speech, and street vernacular (including slang terms and profanity) without melody or harmony; usually performed over a back-beat or musical accompaniment (usually sampled and/or looped); and expressing themes that focus on racist and/or sexist imagery, violent acts (especially against law-enforcement, women, and white people), and self-aggrandizement. Did I miss anything?
you're talking about american rap. in italy the narratives in rap are not about white / black people or police brutality as much because our priorities are different. US centric definitions are not surprising as the style was exported but re adapted into other cultural settings with different meanings and purposes attached to them.
If I can tine to any random rap station, at any random time, and in any random country, and hear the same old crap being played, then it is all the same. Granted, I have only been to America, the Far East, Italy, Ireland, Mexico, Israel, Bahrain, and a few island-nations in the Indian Ocean, the Caribbean, and the Pacific Ocean, so I am not such an "expert"as you, but I really do know what I know, which I have already stated.

Gallia
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 12:55 pm

Fnord wrote:
Gallia wrote:
Fnord wrote:
rap (n): a form of vocal delivery that incorporates rhyme, rhythmic speech, and street vernacular (including slang terms and profanity) without melody or harmony; usually performed over a back-beat or musical accompaniment (usually sampled and/or looped); and expressing themes that focus on racist and/or sexist imagery, violent acts (especially against law-enforcement, women, and white people), and self-aggrandizement. Did I miss anything?
If I can tine to any random rap station, at any random time, and in any random country, and hear the same old crap being played, then it is all the same. Granted, I have only been to America, the Far East, Italy, Ireland, Mexico, Israel, Bahrain, and a few island-nations in the Indian Ocean, the Caribbean, and the Pacific Ocean, so I am not such an "expert"as you, but I really do know what I know, which I have already stated.

I may not have the means to travel as much but it sounds like I may know more about music in general

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2018, 6:58 pm

I'm sorry but this is a free board so you can post whenever you want. I disagree because mostly they aren't really sexist or any of that, just say that in their music. And also this comment might have a bias because I love rap music and hip hop culture. I'm not in the mood to write a long post so I'll just leave it like this.

Biskit69
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2018, 7:00 pm

And listen to this:

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 11:11 pm

Yeah the people who deem all of today's Hip Hop as sexist and just talking about drugs aren't doing their research. One of the best hip hop albums in recent memory is https://soundcloud.com/obasishaw/sets/liminal-minds. It was used for a harvard graduates thesis and it was well received. The problem comes when someone sweeps a whole genre under the bus. Do your research and you will find that the music you are talking about is not as common as you like us to believe.