Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 4:58 pm

I was until I was about 15.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 5:29 pm

In general, I would say no. But back in the late 1970's we had some very intense lightening storms with a large number of continuous hits and some were so close they vibration almost knocked you off your feet. Those I might treat with a little respect.

By the way my father was struck by lightning when he was a boy. It knocked him unconscious but he survived.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 5:55 pm

I love lightning, find it a wonderful and magical natural phenomena.

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 6:09 pm

I`ll admit that I am. Beautiful as it is though it scares me. Distant thunder can sound appealing but when it gets close I don`t feel at ease anymore.

Sandpiper
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2018, 12:29 am

I was terrified of it when I was a child but now I love it. Unfortunately I live in a part of the UK that experiences very little lightning although storms are forecast for this morning.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 8:20 am

One of the forms of lightning to avoid is called "ball lightning". It is a ball of lightning that just hovers in the air for several minutes. It is fairly rare. One of my neighbors was in their basement when one materialized. You should never approach this type of lightning because if you get too close, the lightning will use you as a source to the ground and release all its electrical energy through you.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 8:53 pm

I was afraid of it when I was little but I enjoy it now.

PurplePlumz
Toucan
Toucan

03 Aug 2018, 10:13 pm

Used to be absolutely petrified of it when I was younger. In fact, I would panic and end up sprinting for any kind of shelter (except for stuff like trees, which I knew could fall down if struck) if I heard thunder outdoors. It's not uncommon at all where I live.

Nowadays I love hearing it, especially when I'm indoors.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 11:50 pm

Technically, yes, lightning is scary, it can kill you. I don't have a phobia of thunderstorms or anything, though.

It is certainly startling when a really loud one cracks nearby. Especially when it wakes you up.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 3:26 am

I’m scared of how people systematically prioritize looking tough, by showing they’re unconcerned about lightning and thunder and even laugh at them, over taking some simple safety measures, and the pressure to do the same if you don’t want to look like a chicken. I could use more reason and less making it all about feelings and making rational behavior look like character flaws.

Thunderstorms are dangerous, whether you feel scared or not. There’s nothing wrong in knowing it and using this knowledge to your advantage.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 10:58 am

Yeah. I love going to the beach and watching a storm roll in, but you definitely don't want to be in the water when that happens.

I once woke up and went out to the RV to grab something, one morning after a storm, and I guess the vehicle must've picked up a charge, because I got a really good zap when I grabbed the door handle. Hopefully that's the closest I ever come to getting struck.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 2:57 pm

Yes, of course I'm afraid of lightning. It can be deadly and it causes fires.

Sure, it is also a beautiful sight, especially at night, and I can enjoy a good electrical storm when I'm home and I count to at least 3 between lightning and thunder.

Once, when I was a teen, there was an electrical storm at night and all 3 of us sat on the veranda watching the lightning together. That was pretty cool.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:09 pm

I like lightning, but I worry worry about my house being struck. I have a rather wide garden with lots of open space around one side of my house, and my house has a tall chimney with an antenna for the TV right on top of the chimney, and I'm surprised that lightning has never struck that before, being so it's high and metal. I just keep thinking the house will go up in flames if it hits the house, and I'll lose all my precious possessions (us humans and the cat would probably be able to get outside in time). But sentimental possessions like photographs, teddy bears, etc, probably won't be saved.

I wish lightning couldn't burn things when struck. I hate fires, and I wish they never existed. Fires just destroy everything. Sometimes several firefighters could stand there for hours trying to put out a fire, and by the time they put it out the whole building is completely gone anyway. God, I hate fire.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:24 pm

Joe90 wrote:
I just keep thinking the house will go up in flames if it hits the house, and I'll lose all my precious possessions...

I certainly don't claim to be an expert, but the TV antenna should be grounded, so the lightning would go through it and into the earth.

Of course, I could be wrong.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2018, 4:59 am

Really nice lightning display right now =)

...I probably shouldn't be on the computer... ¬_¬