Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 10:49 pm

Well, America was founded by puritans and some of our culture still has it's influence today, for better or worse. But nobody today says that Germany remains full of Nazis to the point that it's become a sort of modern trope. I get an insulted or condescending feeling from it, I don't have much problems with nudity or sexuality (which is the "main" legacy of the Puritan heritage here), and America still changed attitudes, despite what other modern countries may want to think.

It's like being black and telling white people that they should be guilty of what their ancestors did in history. Yet it's okay to still mention Americans in general as Puritan in their attitudes.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 10:55 pm

the fact that a critical mass of amuuuricans threw a conniption fit after Janet Jackson flashed a bit of tit for an instant, tells me that 1] no other country would have been so childish] and 2] we still have a long ways to go before the rest of the civilized modern world no longer sees us as a bunch of posturing hypocritical bluenoses.

Hollywood_Guy
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 11:03 pm

Of course I'm ignoring that, this is just one guy trying to talk down the other guy to attempt to make him feel weak.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 11:04 pm

:scratch: i'm not trying to make anybody feel weak, i'm just offering up an opinion which is still protected by the 1st amendment. you are not required to read anything of mine if you don't like it or me.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 11:14 pm

further proof of our continuing nambypambyness regarding things such as cursing, we are the only western nation to bleep people speaking their minds. we're the only nation where you still get bleeped mentioning body parts or bodily functions. not only bleeped but having one's speaking mouth digitally pixilated or fuzzed out, so the hard-of-hearing can avoid offensive real life as well. watching Canadian tv [for example] one hardly ever sees such nonsense.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 11:24 pm

mason Williams was the head writer of the old "smothers brothers comedy hour" and he continuously ran into problems with the bible belt here [via CBS network "standards and practices" [aka the censors], and in exasperation, he wrote this little ditty-

The Censor
by
Mason Williams

The Censor sits
Somewhere between
The scenes to be seen
And the television sets
With his scissor purpose poised
Watching the human stuff
That will sizzle through
The magic wires
And light up
Like welding shops
The ho-hum rooms of America
And with a kindergarten
Arts and crafts concept
Of moral responsibility
Snips out
The rough talk
The unpopular opinion
Or anything with teeth
And renders
A pattern of ideas
Full of holes
A doily
For your mind

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 11:24 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:
Well, America was founded by puritans and some of our culture still has it's influence today, for better or worse. But nobody today says that Germany remains full of Nazis to the point that it's become a sort of modern trope. I get an insulted or condescending feeling from it, I don't have much problems with nudity or sexuality (which is the "main" legacy of the Puritan heritage here), and America still changed attitudes, despite what other modern countries may want to think.

It's like being black and telling white people that they should be guilty of what their ancestors did in history. Yet it's okay to still mention Americans in general as Puritan in their attitudes.

Is anyone seriously saying that all Americans are puritan? I'm pretty sure that most people know about Hollywood, which has never been Puritanical … though it has other problems of its own.

That being said, there are plenty of neo-puritans in America, particularly the Bible Belt. They seem to be a minority, but they are quite vocal, and they have been influencing Donald Trump's foreign policy decisions.

It's also true that America is more religious than most other developed countries.

This song is NSFW … but good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxUJnR3oURw

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

02 Aug 2018, 11:27 pm

I hope the OP understands that none of this is a personal attack on HIM. far from it.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 8:23 am

No such thing as "Puritan Guilt", unless it's the pervasive feeling that having fun is somehow a sin...

Puritan (n): 1. a member of a group of Protestants that arose in the 16th century within the Church of England, demanding the simplification of doctrine and worship, and greater strictness in religious discipline: during part of the 17th century the Puritans became a powerful political party.
2. (lowercase) a person who is strict in moral or religious matters, often excessively so.
3. a person possessed by the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 11:45 am

deleted

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Last edited by Tim_Tex on 03 Aug 2018, 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hobojungle
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 12:07 pm

Hollywood_Guy wrote:

I thought you were one of the ones wanting to go back to Puritan times?

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 12:49 pm

There's censorship in Canada, too. On Treehouse Television they censored out insults such as "stupid" and "idiot" on My Little Pony: FiM. While I can understand parents not wanting to hear their 4-year-old not calling other people those things, people irl say them all the time. They say much worse things all the time. It's like people these days can't say a complete sentence without the f word. :roll:

And then there was this nut-job woman who was seriously offended by Bugs Bunny's extremely sexist remark where he asks aren't all women witches inside after he walks off with a witch that got turned into a girl bunny. Actually I can't help but agree with Bugs a little (but I don't see all witches as stereotypical ugly and evil old hags), and if it was a female character asking aren't all men gorillas inside, no one would have a problem. Double standard. :P

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 1:34 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
There's censorship in Canada, too. On Treehouse Television they censored out insults such as "stupid" and "idiot" on My Little Pony: FiM. While I can understand parents not wanting to hear their 4-year-old not calling other people those things, people irl say them all the time. They say much worse things all the time. It's like people these days can't say a complete sentence without the f word. :roll:

And then there was this nut-job woman who was seriously offended by Bugs Bunny's extremely sexist remark where he asks aren't all women witches inside after he walks off with a witch that got turned into a girl bunny. Actually I can't help but agree with Bugs a little (but I don't see all witches as stereotypical ugly and evil old hags), and if it was a female character asking aren't all men gorillas inside, no one would have a problem. Double standard. :P

My favorite shows are animated sitcoms like the Simpsons, South Park, Family Guy, the shows on Adult Swim, etc. The right has lambasted all of them. They're worried that Bart Simpson will turn kids into juvenile delinquents, that hearing toilet and sexual humor will lead to a "mass fornication epidemic", etc.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 7:28 pm

I wonder how these censorious [there's a pun in there somewhere ;) ] righties were raised to be that way, to wanna do our thinking for us?

Meistersinger
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 9:33 pm

Fnord wrote:
No such thing as "Puritan Guilt", unless it's the pervasive feeling that having fun is somehow a sin...

Puritan (n): 1. a member of a group of Protestants that arose in the 16th century within the Church of England, demanding the simplification of doctrine and worship, and greater strictness in religious discipline: during part of the 17th century the Puritans became a powerful political party.
2. (lowercase) a person who is strict in moral or religious matters, often excessively so.
3. a person possessed by the haunting fear that someone, somewhere, may be happy.

Fnord, you never lived in PA Dutch Country. I have the same attitude as the old-order Amish and Mennonites. They are extremely strict and eschew anything but hard work. They, like the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (especially those congregations close to St. Louis (Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, primarily), as well as WELS (Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod) and ELS (Evangelical Lutheran Synod) tend to be quite hard-nosed about entertainment and doing nothing but work.) Then, again, growing up in a dysfunctional household (and both parents came from dysfunctional
Families themselves), the only thing I, as well as my brothers (to a lesser extent) were always subject to “spare the rod and spoil the child,” for even the slightest infraction.

TwilightPrincess
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 9:38 pm

Meistersinger wrote:
Fnord wrote:

Fnord, you never lived in PA Dutch Country. I have the same attitude as the old-order Amish and Mennonites. They are extremely strict and eschew anything but hard work. They, like the Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (especially those congregations close to St. Louis (Missouri, Illinois, Wisconsin, Iowa, primarily), as well as WELS (Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod) and ELS (Evangelical Lutheran Synod) tend to be quite hard-nosed about entertainment and doing nothing but work.) Then, again, growing up in a dysfunctional household (and both parents came from dysfunctional
Families themselves), the only thing I, as well as my brothers (to a lesser extent) were always subject to “spare the rod and spoil the child,” for even the slightest infraction.

I grew up in Amish country, so I know exactly what you’re talking about. Fun stuff is “bad” because it takes your mind off of God.

I grew up in a “spare the rod and spoil the child” family as well. Blah!