Mom drowned her autistic kid in river

Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 2:08 am

Tampa 4-year-old left to drown in river was screaming as mom carried her into water, cops say

Quote:
The Tampa police chief’s voice seemed to halt more than once Friday as he updated the public on the shocking death of Je’Hyrah Daniels, who witnesses said was carried into the Hillsborough River by her mother Thursday afternoon and left there to drown.

Shakayla Monae Denson, 26, is charged with first-degree felony murder, aggravated child abuse and grand theft auto, Chief Brian Dugan said during a Friday morning media briefing.

The Tampa Bay Times reported that a GoFundMe page created by Denson under the name Kayla Denson in October stated that Je’Hyrah had recently been diagnosed with autism. The page, which has been removed since the girl’s death, sought help funding therapies.

A page established Friday by Jedaric Daniels, who identified himself as Je’Hyrah’s father, confirmed the autism diagnosis. Daniels’ page is asking for help with funeral expenses

WFTS in Tampa reported that the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office wrapped up an investigation into Denson’s parenting just three days before Je’Hyrah was killed. The agency’s Child Protection Investigation Division began a probe June 19 into allegations of inadequate supervision of the girl.

The investigative report obtained by the news station states that about a month before, the toddler was with her mother at her great-grandmother’s home when she wandered away to a nearby park. Though the distance from the house to the park was not listed, the case worker estimated it to be about a six-minute walk.
“The mother seems overwhelmed and tired with caring for Je’Hyrah,” the summary of allegations in the report says. “Je’Hyrah is (redacted) non-verbal, and it seems like the mother is upset that she has these disabilities and is not the baby she dreamed of having.

“The mother is easily distracted and doesn't show much attention toward Je'Hyrah. She just lets her run around and do what she wants. She doesn't seem to have the maturity to address the special needs that Je’Hyrah has.

The case worker assigned to the investigation reported that Denson’s home was appropriate and free of hazards and had a security system that sounded if a door was opened. Je’Hyrah appeared well cared for and had no bruises or other marks visible on her body, the report says.

“She was playing in the house during the visit and appeared to be happy, healthy and active,” the report states. “She was bonded with the mother and appeared to listen to basic commands.

The case worker wrote that Denson denied not
watching her daughter properly and said when Je’Hyrah wandered away to the park, it was the girl’s grandmother and great-grandmother who were supposed to be watching her.

One statement in the report was particularly chilling in light of Je’Hyrah’s subsequent death.

“(Denson) denied that the child has gotten out of her home, but (Je’Hyrah) is very preoccupied with water and always wants to jump in, no matter where they are,” the report says.

Denson’s sister and some neighbors were interviewed during the investigation and raised no alarms about Denson’s ability to care for her daughter. She was ultimately cleared of the allegations against her

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 4:08 pm

Oh, ASPartOfMe, why do you post these? Do we really need to read this?

It feels like the effect of news sites going all over the world to find some "tragedy" instead of a little insight into politics or economy, because "if it bleeds, it leads."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 7:56 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Oh, ASPartOfMe, why do you post these? Do we really need to read this?

It feels like the effect of news sites going all over the world to find some "tragedy" instead of a little insight into politics or economy, because "if it bleeds, it leads."

You could choose not to read them.

The news section is going to have a lot of depressing threads in them which is why I put these types of autism stories here and post the positive ones in the media and general sections. The story reminds us that 1. Caseworkers miss toxic situations. 2. Despite all the Autism Acceptance parents still, go into grief when their kids get an autism diagnosis because of the normal family life they expected is not going to happen.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 9:58 pm

Well, parents of non-autistic kids sometimes kill them, too.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:23 am

BeaArthur wrote:

Sometimes, but not at the same rates.

While it’s sad and difficult news to read, I think it’s important that we do read it in order to bring attention to the lack of supports/options & the desperate measures people go to when they feel they have no other choice. At least when these stories are shared it brings attention to these issues. If enough people get mad about them, maybe more resources and options will be made available.*

*Post Trump/Pence, of course, because we all know disabled people aren’t getting s**t in the USA under the current administration.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:21 am

goldfish21 wrote:
BeaArthur wrote:

Sometimes, but not at the same rates.

While it’s sad and difficult news to read, I think it’s important that we do read it in order to bring attention to the lack of supports/options & the desperate measures people go to when they feel they have no other choice. At least when these stories are shared it brings attention to these issues. If enough people get mad about them, maybe more resources and options will be made available.*

*Post Trump/Pence, of course, because we all know disabled people aren’t getting s**t in the USA under the current administration.

Do you have a link to a higher rate of autism filicides?

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 3:31 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Do you have a link to a higher rate of autism filicides?

There is something called Google ... you know. My 8-year-old son is pretty good at it. He just translated the sentence "Please do not touch AC controller" into 3 other languages (Chinese, Japanese, Vietnamese), wrote them down, and taped the sign next to our thermostat. Not only that, he actually learned to say, and memorized, the Chinese and Japanese sentences, all by himself. His Chinese pronunciation is spot on (he is not a Chinese speaker.) And his Japanese pronunciation is just too cute.

- - -

Since there is no formal data collection on filicides, newspaper database is the next best thing. As reported by this research study in 2013:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22826515

... Twenty-two news articles were found describing a total of 26 disabled children as victims of filicide-suicide between 1982 and 2010. Eighty-one percent of children killed were male, and 54% were autistic. Thirty percent of perpetrators had a reported mental illness. ...

Let's say that there are roughly 2% autistic children in our society. That would mean an odds ratio of (98/2)*(54/46) = 57.5. That is, autistic children are about 60 times more likely to be killed by parents than non-autistic children.

Sure, not very scientific, it's a very rough study based on searchable newspaper articles. Still, it should be more-or-less indicative, order-of-magnitude-wise.

eikonabridge
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 10:04 am

The above paper is on the stats for filicide followed by parental suicide. It also seems like this has been covered before on WrongPlanet, and the same paper was cited. There are some other references there, but they seem a bit murky.

http://wrongplanet.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=271571

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 10:27 am

Do we interpret this to mean that the stresses of raising an autistic child, imperfectly mitigated by a failing support system, results in more filicides?

Or do we interpret this as consistent with the general finding that autism is genetically related to a range of other psychiatric diagnoses (mood disorders, schizophrenia, several personality disorders, etc.)? In other words, this parent (that committed filicide) may have done poorly parenting any child.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 10:32 am

One thing is certain: parents will do whatever they want with their children and noöne has any business trying to stop them.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 6:25 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
One thing is certain: parents will do whatever they want with their children and noöne has any business trying to stop them.

Children are human.
Children are not property to be thrown away.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Syd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 7:57 pm

Spiderpig wrote:

If someone tries to drown another human being, whether adult or child, family member or not, they better damn well hope I'm not there to see it.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 9:26 pm

Unless, of course, they're stronger and better armed than you and ready to defend themselves from your intrusion in their personal affairs. In this case, you'd better damn well leave them alone, particularly considering that since the government is unfairly on your side, they have no reason to let you live and rat on them.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 10:00 pm

Spiderpig wrote:
Unless, of course, they're stronger and better armed than you and ready to defend themselves from your intrusion in their personal affairs. In this case, you'd better damn well leave them alone, particularly considering that since the government is unfairly on your side, they have no reason to let you live and rat on them.

I would quite willingly risk my life for a kid with a homicidal parent. Even If I fail the child can know SOMEBODY at least gives a crap for her/him.

Kids are once again, not objects that anyone can throw away. They are people deserving of rights and basic respect. A parent doesn't have the right to kill their child.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

FormerSecretary
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Aug 2018, 6:15 am

That's awful