Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 2:33 am

There is currently a conspiracy minded, paranoid organization calling itself QAnon that has a cultish devotion to Trump and who have accused his critics of the most ugly things (mostly pedophilia). The faceless and unnamed leader, simply calling himself Q, who claims to be a deep state whistleblower (that claim set off my bullsh*t detector right off), had started accumulating a following on the internet, claiming that the world is run by a cabal of child molesters who can only be destroyed by Trump. We've heard this same sort of bullsh*t before, with that DC pizza parlor, and accusations hurled at the Clinton's and their staff members, and even Lady Gaga during the last election. There is of course nothing new about the loony right haunting the corners of the internet, but since the Trump regime, we've had those fanatics threatening to kill people as some lunatic had in that pizza parlor. Now, we have members of QAnon appearing at Trump rallies, holding up signs bearing the organization's name and harassing media correspondents. I can't think of a previous President who wouldn't try to distance himself from such people rather than embracing them.
Saying all that, I invite anyone who wants to defend these people and their message to post here, and explain why they think said message is true. Hell, if you just want to bash QAnon, feel free!

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 4:25 am

Never heard of this but there are almost an endless list of weird social media accounts dedicate to cheering on or knocking different political figures.

'Deep state' sounds like the giveaway with that one. So many of them use that phrase and all claim to be people within certain organisations or Govt departments so are reliable. If they were all believed then the entire Govt would be so busy whistleblowing on each other it would have no time for work.

I think these accounts satisfy a certain type of person and that is all. They are just entertainment really.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 6:43 am

It's very tempting to believe your political enemies are not just wrong, but irredeemably evil.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 6:51 am

If you want to take a trip through the looking glass though:

https://www.neonrevolt.com/2018/06/17/b ... awakening/

Yep, that's Obama in a devil horns dress. Apparently no signs of photoshop either.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 8:29 am

Mikah wrote:

Yep, that's Obama in a devil horns dress. Apparently no signs of photoshop either.

Yeah, BS, the picture you linked has been resized so many times it’s got pixelization between every foreground/background element, making it impossible to determine the authenticity. Furthermore, on the page you linked there is no original, just the heavy pixelized version, and no source of the photo to boot. Without an original it’s impossible to determine authenticity, with all the resizing, lack of source, it’s obvious whoever dumped the photo doesn’t want someone looking into the authenticity, meaning there’s a 99.9% chance you’re being duped— but you already knew that, you just happen to agree with the lie and that’s why you’re here trying to spread the lie like a virus.

That is Q-anon in a nutshell: drop unsubstantiated claims and scream about them loud enough that they ‘appear’ to be fact.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

05 Aug 2018, 8:49 am

My understanding is that Q doesn't usually make specific claims, and instead just posts vague things that could be interpreted any way the reader likes. Essentially just using the same techniques that cold readers have used for centuries.

The question is, is Q genuinely trying to win people over, or are they a far-lefty laughing at the fools who believe them? Either way I'm unimpressed; the gullibility of 4chan users and people's susceptibility towards any nonsense that confirms their prejudices aren't exactly secrets.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 11:19 am

Aristophanes wrote:
but you already knew that, you just happen to agree with the lie and that’s why you’re here trying to spread the lie like a virus.

It should be obvious from my first post in this thread and the wording of the post you quote, that I'm not on the QAnon train.

DarthMetaKnight
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 11:31 am

Mikah wrote:
It's very tempting to believe your political enemies are not just wrong, but irredeemably evil.

It's especially tempting when your political opponent promotes anti-intellectual conspiracy nuttery, is already responsible for the deaths of several innocent people, and is ruining the global environment.

READ THIS -> https://represent.us/

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 11:58 am

Mikah wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:
but you already knew that, you just happen to agree with the lie and that’s why you’re here trying to spread the lie like a virus.

It should be obvious from my first post in this thread and the wording of the post you quote, that I'm not on the QAnon train.

Please, you gave a platitude on demonizing one's enemies that was so vague it could apply to anyone. That tells me nothing about your stance on QAnon. What you actually did though, action wise, was re-post and proliferate an obvious lie from a conspiracy website. Now, only you could know the motivation for spreading the lie, but the fact is you did it.

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 12:20 pm

DarthMetaKnight wrote:
It's especially tempting when your political opponent promotes anti-intellectual conspiracy nuttery, is already responsible for the deaths of several innocent people, and is ruining the global environment.

The insanity of the chans aside, we should all be careful not to fall into the modern trap of dismissing conspiracy theories just because they are conspiracy theories. Conspiracy is the handmaiden of history, from the murder of Caesar to the gunpowder plot to the Reichstag fire. We just have to find out which conspiracies are real, preferably before it's too late to do anything about it (bit late to do anything about Echelon now oops).

The beginning of any discussion about Q must be his "proofs" of identity. He has apparently pre-empted quite a few of Trump's tweets and taken photographs that could only be taken from within Air Force One.

https://www.qproofs.com/ It's interesting, but not enough to convince me. Even if Q actually turns out to be in the President's inner circle (a terrifying thought actually), there are still many more hurdles to leap before becoming a fully paid up believer.

Aristophanes wrote:
Please, you gave a platitude on demonizing one's enemies that was so vague it could apply to anyone. That tells me nothing about your stance on QAnon.

"Through the looking glass" wasn't a clear enough hint?

Aristophanes wrote:
What you actually did though, action wise, was re-post and proliferate an obvious lie from a conspiracy website. Now, only you could know the motivation for spreading the lie, but the fact is you did it.

I did so with an air of scepticism, not just with the literary reference, but the claim about photoshop was prefixed with "apparently". That's not propagating a lie. I apologise if English is your second language, but you are reading things that aren't there.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:30 pm

Mikah wrote:

What it looks like to me is that Obama's wearing either a Halloween or Mardi Gras costume. Even if it's real, I have to think it's been taken far out of context, and context is everything.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:44 pm

double post, deleted

Last edited by Aristophanes on 05 Aug 2018, 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 1:53 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
What it looks like to me is that Obama's wearing either a Halloween or Mardi Gras costume. Even if it's real, I have to think it's been taken far out of context, and context is everything.

The image itself isn't really the issue, it's the mass proliferation of such lies that is. There's always going to be one person that believes the earth is flat, the danger is that idea spreading and infecting others. Best to point out the faults in a lie, give the facts and then move on-- you've exposed it, you've given accurate information to the contrary, and you haven't given it enough time to seep into people's minds, the more it seeps in the more it becomes 'true' in the body politic. Take birtherism, it was a complete fabrication from day 1, it was pointed out, and what made it become 'true' for a large portion of the population was constantly discussing it, even if that discussion was pointing out the fallacies of it. Humans are not as smart as you've been led to believe, they'll easily fall for repetition, in fact our sixth largest industry is based on it (advertising). That's why in bizzaro-Trump world it's best just to point out when a person is full of s**t and let them sit on that, if you debate BS you're only giving the BS credibility.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2018, 2:16 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:

The image itself isn't really the issue, it's the mass proliferation of such lies that is. There's always going to be one person that believes the earth is flat, the danger is that idea spreading and infecting others. Best to point out the faults in a lie, give the facts and then move on-- you've exposed it, you've given accurate information to the contrary, and you haven't given it enough time to seep into people's minds, the more it seeps in the more it becomes 'true' in the body politic. Take birtherism, it was a complete fabrication from day 1, it was pointed out, and what made it become 'true' for a large portion of the population was constantly discussing it, even if that discussion was pointing out the fallacies of it. Humans are not as smart as you've been led to believe, they'll easily fall for repetition, in fact our sixth largest industry is based on it (advertising). That's why in bizzaro-Trump world it's best just to point out when a person is full of s**t and let them sit on that, if you debate BS you're only giving the BS credibility.

Absolutely true.

Biscuitman
Veteran
Veteran

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2018, 2:42 pm

Biscuitman wrote:

I was hoping for this development. :D