Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2018, 5:40 pm

Does anybody have anything to say about the Oscars' recent announcement that they were:
(1) Going to strictly keep the annual Academy Awards telecast to just three hours, with making some of the commercially/in glamour " lesser " categories non televised, giving them during commercial breaks on the show, mentioned as something that they will do
(2) In what received the most attention, adding a " Best Achievement In Popular Film " category - ?

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 12:38 am

As someone in the industry- popularity award... whhaaattt? That’s weird on so many levels and is only set to backfire.

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 4:22 am

Isn't that category covered in some other ways to begin with? It is being met with overwhelming negative reviews.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 4:55 pm

Yes it's inherently a movie to push Black Panther on. It's not a real movie so it's going to be nominated for a popular movie. BS voting.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 5:41 pm

thewrll wrote:
Yes it's inherently a movie to push Black Panther on. It's not a real movie so it's going to be nominated for a popular movie. BS voting.

This. Black Panther should be nominated for best picture. It received some of the best reviews of the year (97 and 100% on rotten tomatoes), was a cultural milestone, went on to become an amazing box office success, and has no doubt changed how Hollywood views making minority centered films. The success of Black Panther is clearly what has moved the Bond producers to being more firm about Irdris Elba being the next Bond.

The academy though (not to be racist - but, mostly a bunch of old white guys) wouldn't ever think about putting Black Panther as a best picture nominee (although similar blockbusters were in the past) so they're hoping this will do it.

It's beyond obvious to see through though.

BAP_Buddy
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

12 Aug 2018, 6:06 pm

Supposedly the changes were made because the last telecast was the least-watched ever. I'm sure that was because a lot of people were turned off from film/movies because of all the recent exposures/events.

If they wanted to bring people back, why not a "Best Film Directed by a Non-Pervert" category? :mrgreen:

ASS-P
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2018, 6:51 pm

...I was nearly at the end of a lengthy response, and I lost the draft :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: !

ote="thewrll"]Yes it's inherently a movie to push Black Panther on. It's not a real movie so it's going to be nominated for a popular movie. BS voting.[/quote]

This. Black Panther should be nominated for best picture. It received some of the best reviews of the year (97 and 100% on rotten tomatoes), was a cultural milestone, went on to become an amazing box office success, and has no doubt changed how Hollywood views making minority centered films. The success of Black Panther is clearly what has moved the Bond producers to being more firm about Irdris Elba being the next Bond.

The academy though (not to be racist - but, mostly a bunch of old white guys) wouldn't ever think about putting Black Panther as a best picture nominee (although similar blockbusters were in the past) so they're hoping this will do it.

It's beyond obvious to see through though.[/quote]

My life destroyed by Thorazine and Mellaril - and rape - and the Psychiatric/Industrial Complex. SOB:-(! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !! !!