What job / career do you do for a living?

Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Roo95
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2018, 5:29 pm

Hello. I would like to ask everyone on here what job/career/profession you do for a living, to pay the bills, rent and so on, just out of curiosity and what you do and don't like about your job. I'll start.

I currently work as a professional vehicle valeter and detailer for a small car dealership here in the UK. Its a pretty easy job and a good job for an aspie as it requires little to no customer interaction and a very keen eye for detail. I work as part of a small team, keeping all the brand new cars clean and shiny. What I love most is taking old trade in cars, cleaning them, correcting and treating the paintwork and alloys, making them look brand new ready to be put up for sale on the forecourt as well as preparing sold cars ready to go out to the customer.

I have been doing this job for 4 years now but prior to this, my special interest was cooking. I managed to get myself a job as a trainee chef in a restaurant but ended up being fired after a year after being constantly taken advantage of and as I struggled to cope with the fast paced environment.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 7:29 pm

I am unemployed, but am getting help looking for work from my state's VR Services.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 7:48 pm

<-- Electrical Engineer / Consultant / Gig Musician.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 8:09 pm

I'm currently on disability but I'm going to veterinary tech school once I get my driver's license and a car. If that works out, maybe go to actual DVM school in the future.

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 9:00 pm

I teach chemistry classes as well as manage an NMR facility for a large university. As for the job, I dislike the politics of higher education the most.

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2018, 9:34 pm

I used to both underwrite and issue life and funeral insurance policies while assisting sales agents who were in the field.

It was a job that required intelligence, quick thinking, careful analysis, diplomacy and the ability to deal with difficult, sometimes abusive Type A personalities who occasionally tried to sneak around ethical, moral and legal guidelines in order to make a commission. I had to 1) tell them they couldn't do it when they asked or 2) catch them at it, call them and tell them why I could not issue the policy they had just submitted.

Me: "Joe, upon pulling this individual's medical records we found that he is in a persistent vegetative state. How is it that he was able to answer the health questions and sign for an insurance policy?"

Joe: "Um, I had his POA do it for him. That counts, right?"

Me: "No. No one but the prospective insured can sign. If he is in a state which requires a POA to apply for him, cannot understand and give his informed consent to have a policy taken on his life and sign under his own power you are breaking the law and jeopardizing your license. This policy must be declined."

Joe: String of obscenities, followed by speculations about my appearance, sexual proclivities and a suggestion that I should ingest excrement and then promptly expire.

It was as fun as it sounds. It wore me down over the years and one day I just couldn't do it anymore.

Now I breed snakes, tropical fish and ornamental shrimp. They are so much more pleasant company. I don't make very much money at it. It's certainly not enough to live on. But I am happier and I like my "colleagues."

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2018, 10:54 pm

M-F I’m an Apprentice Taper (Drywall Finisher, similar to a Plasterer in the UK) simply because in the long run it pays better than my previous job & I have expensive goals. Sometimes I do side jobs because they’re far more lucrative than working for the man. Once my skill set improves, I’ll do more of these and stack cash faster.

On the weekends all Summer I pressure wash floor mats at the largest University here (UBC) because my friend has the contract to do it and he needs my help.

Some evenings & weekends I work as a “Sherpa,” for one of my friends at the beach. I carry up to 200lbs at a time (beer and ice) down 480 stairs to the beach, and up to 100lbs up the stairs. I also dig deep holes in the sand to bury things we don’t want to carry up.

Annnd now that I’m back to my regular day job and in the routine of paying attention to my finances because I have things to pay for and goals to meet, I’m back to setting up some day trades in my stock trading account - mostly flipping weed/hemp penny stocks.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2018, 6:33 am

I was a journalist / newspaper reporter for 2 and a half years but do to my severe social limitations from being Autistic I discovered that was a wholly ridiculous profession choice.

Now I drive a forklift and stock shelves at two jobs both at night with six days a week work because both jobs require very minimal interaction with others. Even with two jobs I still live below the poverty line and my financial situation is sitting on a knife's edge as a result.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Aug 2018, 9:58 pm

I am/was a network analyst until they forced me out because of my mental health & Autism.

I've been off work for a while, and unfortunately, my ability to stay focused on any one thing has been almost non-existent and I've hard to the worst time trying to stay current or learn something new.

IstominFan
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 4:32 pm

I work at my local public library. I enjoy it a lot.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 5:39 pm

For the last dozen years of my working life, I was an office generalist with heavy customer service involvement. I did a little of everything in the field of applications software - end user, not developer. A desk job was a good choice for me. I previously worked as a therapist and a business owner. The majority of my adult years I was able to maintain employment, but I did have periods here and there when I could not work for a few years.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2018, 6:00 pm

Intellectual and Developmental Disabilities caseworker.

Arevelion
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2018, 6:47 pm

I work in a production kitchen that makes veggie burgers, but I also sell options on the side (insurance for stocks basically). I am proud to say that the past two months I've made more money selling options than working my day job. If that keeps up I am leaving the kitchen work for good. I swear, I was born to trade options.

goldfish21 wrote:
... I’m back to setting up some day trades in my stock trading account - mostly flipping weed/hemp penny stocks.

Oh nice a fellow trader. High five!

Babi dwr
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

16 Aug 2018, 7:22 pm

I used to work as a welder fabricator. I started in a small bespoke workshop and then moved into a large place which included operating cnc machinery and brake presses. It was one of those jobs that I got a huge amount of satisfaction from because it was repetitive but you had to be precise and watch your time on the jobs. I loved the physical exertion too and was fit as a fiddle back then.

I then went into Uni and on to become a teacher which was also great but I was worn down by the hundreds of people. They say its about 150 questions a day on average that you answer, some days it felt like 1000.

Im now on the verge of going back into welding or maybe dry stone walling or bench joinery. Im yet to decide if I can do it, not the job but the people.

Canadian Penguin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

16 Aug 2018, 9:10 pm

Babi dwr wrote:
I used to work as a welder fabricator. I started in a small bespoke workshop and then moved into a large place which included operating cnc machinery and brake presses. It was one of those jobs that I got a huge amount of satisfaction from because it was repetitive but you had to be precise and watch your time on the jobs. I loved the physical exertion too and was fit as a fiddle back then.

I then went into Uni and on to become a teacher which was also great but I was worn down by the hundreds of people. They say its about 150 questions a day on average that you answer, some days it felt like 1000.

Im now on the verge of going back into welding or maybe dry stone walling or bench joinery. Im yet to decide if I can do it, not the job but the people.

I'm going to ask an aside here.

If I, a general notsohandyman, wanted to get a welding machine to do the occasional small bit of welding and accidentally burning my leg, what sort of welding gear should I look for?

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 3:18 am

I get a pension now, but historically, I did extra-odd jobs to support my vocation and physical needs. I didn't want to take work from parents, so I took the interesting jobs nobody wanted, and would get them right the first time. I expected to get job offers after showing my work, but leaving me off the teams led to far more employment.

One year, I was at loose ends and wondering if my self-education was rather spotty, so I took a job in a small start-up division making helicopter parts. The boss wasn't too sure either, so he took us both to a week-long course. I had to pay attention for one afternoon, about paperwork. In the year, I learned one thing - to use magic marker on a (non absorbent!) surface before changing to the next finer sandpaper, to show when to change next without skipping areas or wasting time.

I have done almost anything to a house, repaired appliances and jewelry, done silversmithing (great hobby, lousy living,) rented properties, built and sold boats at a loss, judged entries in a tech contest, won $100 for ten years work, that still makes news decades later, driven taxi, owned and run a company, worked as a masseur, built special effects, set up production lines, and so on. I've volunteered quite a bit, too - it leads to both experience and connection.

I have also economised for a living, by using a bicycle as my primary transport for years. (If you find your home, job, and shops by bike, they ARE in range - it is a city you never knew before.) I have lived in somewhat makeshift housing, sometimes with wood heat and outdoor plumbing. I make my own food from organic ingredients, so I don't need prescriptions.