Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 8:57 am

Headline: Trump Cancels Military Parade -- blames local politicians as estimated cost balloons.

Quote:
President Donald Trump announced Friday that he personally cancelled the military parade he wanted that was slated to have taken place on November 10, blaming local D.C. politicians for reports of a price tag tens of millions of dollars higher than the original estimated cost. "The local politicians who run Washington, D.C. (poorly) know a windfall when they see it," Trump said in a tweet. "When asked to give us a price for holding a great celebratory military parade, they wanted a number so ridiculously high that I cancelled it."
Of course ... it's always someone else's fault when the Demander-In-Chief doesn't get exactly what he wants.

:D

(Related thread: Trump wants military showoff parade.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:05 am

Seems a sensible move from him. Why let John Q. Taxpayer be ripped off? Same principle here.

Although it's not my country and not for me to say.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:10 am

Tequila wrote:
Seems a sensible move from him. Why let John Q. Taxpayer be ripped off? Same principle here. Although it's not my country and not for me to say.
Good point. Maybe he thought that he would have to pay for it all, not us.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:34 am

I’m betting there will be a leak that Trump was forced to cancel it and then the orange ogre and his followers will all throw hissy fits on twitter for everyone to laugh at lol. It’s typically how these things play out.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:44 am

"... will be a leak..."?

Dude! It's on all of the major news websites! Mr. Trump has even issued official statements.

You can't 'leak' a story that has already broken.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 9:48 am

Spooky_Mulder wrote:
I’m betting there will be a leak that Trump was forced to cancel it and then the orange ogre and his followers will all throw hissy fits on twitter for everyone to laugh at lol. It’s typically how these things play out.

We know how it went. Trump wanted a veterans' parade, the Ds blocked it by claiming money costs. It's all partisan and party political.

It's really a case of "I want something but the others won't give it to me".

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:08 am

Tequila wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
We know how it went. Trump wanted a veterans' parade, the Ds blocked it by claiming money costs. It's all partisan and party political.It's really a case of "I want something but the others won't give it to me".
Well, call the WAAAmbulance, somebody didn't get his way... :cry: ... again.

It doesn't matter if it's "partisan bickering" or simple human greed; Donald J. Trump is not getting his Stalinesque parade, he is not going to impress Messrs. Putin or Kim, and no jack-booted, brown-shirted thugs are going to be goose-stepping down Pennsylvania Avenue to the tune of "Hail to the Chief".

THAT is what matters!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:17 am

Fnord wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
We know how it went. Trump wanted a veterans' parade, the Ds blocked it by claiming money costs. It's all partisan and party political.It's really a case of "I want something but the others won't give it to me".
Well, call the WAAAmbulance, somebody didn't get his way... :cry: ... again.

It doesn't matter if it's "partisan bickering" or simple human greed; Donald J. Trump is not getting his Stalinesque parade, he is not going to impress Messrs. Putin or Kim, and no jack-booted, brown-shirted thugs are going to be goose-stepping down Pennsylvania Avenue to the tune of "Hail to the Chief".

THAT is what matters!

Why would I want to call an ambulance for the Wisconsin Aquaculture Association?

Do you not have military parades in the States? They are to remember those killed in war. We have Remembrance Sunday for instance all over the Commonwealth.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:23 am

We have quite a few military parades all over the US. Some of them are of the "show off" variety---but, I believe, why not "show off" sometimes?

If some soldier goose-stepped, however, I really wouldn't like it too much.

For: Veterans Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July--at the very least.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:26 am

Fnord wrote:
"... will be a leak..."?

Dude! It's on all of the major news websites! Mr. Trump has even issued official statements.

You can't 'leak' a story that has already broken.

Not that it’s cancelled- that Trump didn’t “personally” decide to cancel it. More he was forced to and finally, like an upset child who can’t get their way, gave up while throwing fits about doing so - that’s more his style.

Last edited by Spooky_Mulder on 17 Aug 2018, 10:30 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:28 am

The main military ceremony in the UK is Trooping the Colour. Otherwise, Remembrance Sunday, but that's really a sober remembrance of those who died in conflict.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 11:19 am

Why can’t he get Mexico to pay for the Trump ego parade?(sarcasm).

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 12:23 pm

Tequila wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Tequila wrote:
Spooky_Mulder wrote:
... It doesn't matter if it's "partisan bickering" or simple human greed; Donald J. Trump is not getting his Stalinesque parade, he is not going to impress Messrs. Putin or Kim, and no jack-booted, brown-shirted thugs are going to be goose-stepping down Pennsylvania Avenue to the tune of "Hail to the Chief". THAT is what matters!
... Do you not have military parades in the States? They are to remember those killed in war. We have Remembrance Sunday for instance all over the Commonwealth.
Yes, we do. Memorial Day, Independence Day, and Veterans' Day parades are common. They all seem to feature uniformed military members, veterans, brass bands, and so forth.

What we DON'T have are 'Vanity' parades, where some loud-mouthed ignoramus decides that he wants a parade in his honor and have someone else pay for it.

Mythos
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Aug 2018, 1:18 pm

I never understood why nations even really need such parades. They seem a bit tasteless after all humanity has been through over the past 100 years; the two great wars, Vietnam, etc., and of course all that we dealt with prior. I like to think that someday we won't need militaristic force at all but that's heavily optimistic, especially with somebody as hotheaded as Trump.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 4:47 pm

Nobody needs a parade, but they sure are fun to watch!

I've even participated in a few (building/wiring floats). They were fun (no meltdowns!), but exhausting

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 6:30 pm

Damn, I really wanted to see that! It sounded better than many other things the military could be doing. And keeping Trump occupied with big trucks for awhile couldn't make things any worse.