Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 7:02 pm

There is a subreddit by the above name where men post photos of their home decore. It struck me that many of them choose dark shades such as dark grey and black for furniture, accents, and bedclothes. Many of them also accent with LED lights giving their home a night club appearance. While this all looks nice, it occurred to me that a woman might be put off by decore that is reminiscent of a night club because she may get the impression that he is a player rather than a man looking for a commited relationship.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 8:02 pm

I don't like dark decor myself.

My ideal room would be all white, actually.

And no strobe lights or anything.....

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:14 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I don't like dark decor myself.

My ideal room would be all white, actually.

And no strobe lights or anything.....

That would be similar to my preferences as well. Though I can't do all white on account of the fact that I would not be able to keep things that way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:32 pm

I like the idea of an all-black room with hidden indirect lighting. an all-white room is challenging to keep all white. a room of mirrors would also be really neat because of the illusion of great space. I live in a tin can, chock full of my stuff. a spare bedroom is floor to ceiling stuff. my bedroom has what won't fit elsewhere in it, with an improvised bed wedged in there. I have to walk carefully in order to not stub my toes on something. electronic home organs take up a LOT of space and are HEAVY. :o am thankful for LED/LCD TV sets which take up so much less space than the 32" Trinitron I useta have.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:46 pm

Chronos wrote:
. . .men post photos of their home decore. It struck me that many of them choose dark shades such as dark grey and black for furniture, accents, and bedclothes. Many of them also accent with LED lights giving their home a night club appearance. While this all looks nice, it occurred to me that a woman might be put off by decore that is reminiscent of a night club because she may get the impression that he is a player rather than a man looking for a commited relationship.

Interesting observation. I am a color blind Aspie with no sense of home decor style, so I leave most of that up to my wife. The only room I claim ownership of is my man cave and the home decor in that room is ELECTRONICS. It definitely permeates my room with a few historical photographs generally around 150 years old hanging on the walls.

I also have an affinity towards leather furniture. I have a leather sofa that I purchased around 45 years ago. It is so comfortable that you lay down on the couch and almost melt into it. They just do not make sofas like that anymore.

kokopelli
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 10:51 pm

I would prefer white or off-white. Maybe a wheat yellow.

For the finish, I'd prefer what's called a diamond plaster applied by someone very experienced in applying it properly.

Leather furniture in a western style.

Wood or tile floors. Saltillo tile would be really nice.

As for dark wall colors, the kitchen in the office is a dark red. Some tasks such as slicing food are miserable because it is too dark to see clearly. It can also be difficult to evaluate something cooking.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 11:30 pm

When I get out, I'll have a look. I doubt I'd post my living spaces online though - I prefer a bit of privacy. It's all tough nuts there anyway.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2018, 11:44 pm

jimmy m wrote:
ELECTRONICS.

if you don't mind, what kind? :mrgreen:

Sabreclaw
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 12:11 am

I like purples.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 1:48 am

I like places lit only with red light, so I can read, but also keep my retinae dark-adapted.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 1:53 am

I useta sleep with a red light but it started giving me nightmares. :o so I switched to a blue light then a violet light.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 3:16 am

This thread is weird and slightly sexist. So if a woman decores her room in pink then we should tell her to stop doing so because the men may not love it?

It’s their homes, they have the right to decore it the way they like it; it shouldn’t be viewed as as a nest for impressing women.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 3:18 am

i think pink is wonderful whether for men's or women's rooms, but I feel slighted when women decline similar dispensation towards my black room.

SabbraCadabra
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 5:11 am

Call me old-fashioned, but I like wood.

Whenever there's a room with that '70s style wood paneling on the walls, and a nice carpet, I gravitate towards it.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 5:23 am

auntblabby wrote:
i think pink is wonderful whether for men's or women's rooms, but I feel slighted when women decline similar dispensation towards my black room.

Black rooms are also easier to maintain :p

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 6:21 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
This thread is weird and slightly sexist. So if a woman decores her room in pink then we should tell her to stop doing so because the men may not love it?

It’s their homes, they have the right to decore it the way they like it; it shouldn’t be viewed as as a nest for impressing women.

No one is telling anyone how to decorate. It was just my observation that some of the decorating styles may not be conducive to forming long term relationships. Likewise, perhaps pink decore with cat statues and reborn baby dolls may not be either, but I did not end up in that subreddit.