Which Disney animated film is the least "timeless"?

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

advertisingfan123
Raven
Raven

18 Aug 2018, 12:24 pm

We all know how Disney usually refers to their animated films as "timeless", but, in your opinion, which film would be the most outdated compared to current Disney films?

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 12:33 pm

Song of the South, hands down.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 2:52 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:

Ha! Clever and absolutely true. How many people even know this exists today? Even I'm young enough to only know it as a bizarre piece of trivia.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 3:13 pm

I actually saw it, though I don't remember much. I believe it was televised at one point, must have been the late '50s or early '60s, and I would have been a preschooler, but we had a TV. (Edit in: this was around the time local TV stations were also showing things like "Hoppity Goes To Town". I don't *think* I was taken to a theater to see it.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9_cbX17vZs0 << Hoppity Goes To Town, it really exists. Not a Disney feature.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 3:26 pm

The controversy surrounding that one actually makes me want to see it. Even wilder - 'Zippity Do Dah' was/is one of the best known Disney songs, so somehow even with the controversy - elements of it remain today.

'The Three Caballeros' maybe?

Not many people know it's a movie, plus it doesn't have a controversial history to make it infamous. I'm hispanic so of course I know of it - but, I'm unsure how many others do today...

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 4:05 pm

^^ That's one I had not heard of.

The sad thing about the one I mentioned is that the journalist who collected the actual genuine folktales (Joel Chandler Harris) was attempting to memorialize the stories (oral history? a la Studs Terkel) out of respect. Something like Alexander McCall Smith nowadays (with his series about the woman detectives set in Botswana).

I'm half cringing as I type this because things are so fraught currently that it seems all rapprochement is suspect, and people trying to memorialize bits of history and culture, to which they were not themselves born but which they loved, can be seen as opportunists or worse. (I think it's possible to love and wish to help preserve other cultures than one's own, I do devoutly. The key question now is *how*.)

Meanwhile, Zip-a-dee-doo-dah won an Academy Award...?! and I well remember Anansi stories, also authentic, being read to my class by my second grade teacher - without a trace of condescension or superiority. I loved them too, also in no condescending way. Maybe being Aspie I didn't pick up on undercurrents, and took things at face value as intrinsically respectworthy because they were other people's fairy tales, etc., and that was just so cool. And I was 5, 6, 7, 8 years old at the time.

And at this point I have probably put my foot in it hugely without any awareness of doing so, so I will hush up and quietly go away.

Spooky_Mulder
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 10:24 pm

Similarly on the film, Walt Disney hired Maurice Rapf to try to make sure that the film wasn't racist and he campaigned for James Baskett (Uncle Remus) to win an academy award for best performance - 1946 (the first black actor to get NOMINATED was Poitier in 1958). Baskett was credited for devising the characterization of Remus. Baskett won an honorary academy award.

So the Walt Disney Company actually took actions to try to ensure that the film wasn't racist.

mawilegirl
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Aug 2018, 12:52 pm

Esmerelda Weatherwax wrote:

Oh gosh, I was going to say that one as well! For sure.

But I guess other than Song of the South... Oliver & Company's music is pretty dated. (It's still one of my favorite animated films though since I love dogs and the 1980s, heh! :3)

Level 2 ASD diagnosed

samuelR
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Sep 2018, 2:37 pm

'The Three Caballeros' I think

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Sep 2018, 3:22 am

I would also pick Song Of The South. I never heard of that movie till I was looking up something from an American Dad ep. The Sminths went to Family Land which was a very obvious Disney Land parody. Francine & Klaus went on a log ride where a rabbit was talking about being a slave. It seemed like it could of been a parody of something but I didn't have a clue what till I looked it up. I heard Zippity Do Dah by more than a few different singers but didn't have a clue what it was from. I found the movie on a torrent site; I should be able to mention that because Disney tried to bury the movie & it's not really possible to legally buy it. I haven't gotten around to watching the movie yet but my version was a VCR rip that someone had actually recorded on BBC many years ago.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

brendann
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Apr 2019, 10:48 am

I love to watch the Jungle Book :heart: