I don't know how, or if I should, quit my job

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2018, 4:18 pm

Everyone is really nice but I've been taking the potential changes to my schedule rough. I basically can't think of a time when it would be appropriate for me to work. I need to get help in Math and I'm going to be doing stuff for the school newspaper. I go to my grandparents and help out in church every weekend. The thought of going in gives me anxiety, especially considering how bad I am at bagging.

I was scheduled for the first day of school, which would've really sent me over the edge, but told my mom I called in. That was a lie. No call, no show. They already hate me, I'm sure.

I don't want to get straight-up fired for job abandonment. I just don't know how to quit. I don't want to disappoint anyone.

alex
Developer
Developer

18 Aug 2018, 4:22 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
Everyone is really nice but I've been taking the potential changes to my schedule rough. I basically can't think of a time when it would be appropriate for me to work. I need to get help in Math and I'm going to be doing stuff for the school newspaper. I go to my grandparents and help out in church every weekend. The thought of going in gives me anxiety, especially considering how bad I am at bagging.

I was scheduled for the first day of school, which would've really sent me over the edge, but told my mom I called in. That was a lie. No call, no show. They already hate me, I'm sure.

I don't want to get straight-up fired for job abandonment. I just don't know how to quit. I don't want to disappoint anyone.

Why don't you just go in and tell them you need to quit?

Nekomonster
Toucan
Toucan

18 Aug 2018, 4:27 pm

alex wrote:

I could, very easily, but I melt under pressure. Everyone was so nice to me in training and I wouldn't want to see them disappointed or saying things like "Aww, we hate to see you go." I could go in there to quit and end up backing out/changing my mind based on their faces/potential reactions.

Also, I'm terrible at making decisions. I'd likely be at the door shaking/crying trying to figure out if I really wanted to quit or not.

MrsPeel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Aug 2018, 10:31 pm

Think of it from the employer's point of view.
If they're going to lose you, it's far better for them to know straight away so that they can look for someone else to fill the vacancy. If you just stop turning up without telling them why, they will be definitely be unhappy with you, far worse than the disappointment of being let down at having you leave.
If you can't face it, can you take someone with you as moral support? Or you could do it by writing, although face-to-face will be seen as more upfront and honest.

Hyeokgeose
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Aug 2018, 10:37 pm

I've quit several jobs.

It's not easy but, in the end, they won't dislike you for leaving. In fact, if you did want to work there again, it's likely they'll hire you back -- most employers will do so. Assuming this was a entry level job, in my experience a lot of the entry level management have been very nice and can be understanding of reasons for leaving. Just make sure you give 2 weeks resignation notice so that they can be prepared to hire another person -- they do not like short notices (which I did once because my job abused my schedule) but otherwise, just give a two week notice and tell them you enjoyed working there as well as saying so in your resignation letter, and on your last day, wish them all a good day and good fortune. :mrgreen:

"It’s not until they tell you you’re going to die soon that you realize how short life is. Time is the most valuable thing in life because it never comes back. And whether you spend it in the arms of a loved one or alone in a prison-cell, life is what you make of it. Dream big."
-Stefán Karl Stefánsson
10 July, 1975 - 21 August, 2018.

alex
Developer
Developer

19 Aug 2018, 5:19 pm

Nekomonster wrote:
alex wrote:

I could, very easily, but I melt under pressure. Everyone was so nice to me in training and I wouldn't want to see them disappointed or saying things like "Aww, we hate to see you go." I could go in there to quit and end up backing out/changing my mind based on their faces/potential reactions.

Also, I'm terrible at making decisions. I'd likely be at the door shaking/crying trying to figure out if I really wanted to quit or not.

People quit all the time. Saying "we hate to see you go" is just a way of saying they enjoyed the time you were there. It's not a big deal.