Is it wrong to walk out on a job without notice?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

CannibalCorpse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2018, 5:00 am

I know it's kinda wrong but I think I couldn't have done anything else. I just couldn't stay there without losing my mind.

This summer I am having serious problems finding a normal job with normal managers.
The last one was a hotel in Jersey, The Channel Islands.
I went there to be a housekeeper.

I asked the general manager BEFORE arrival that how many rooms are allocated per cleaners each day. He said 8-10. I said yes, it's okay, that is doable to a high standard.
To my surprise when I got there, the other members of staff said it is minimum 12 rooms but more like 14-17.
The hotel has 62 rooms and in an optimal case 6 cleaners, one is on day off each days. So 5 cleaners and 12-13 rooms.
This is when they are fully staffed. But apparently they are never fully staffed, when I was there one of the girls left so that means immediately 15-17 rooms a day and they often work 8-10 days without a day off.

Also the manager "forgot" to mention that there is no internet provided in the staff accommodation which is the first time. ALL my live in jobs had free wifi for the staff so I obviously didn't even think that in 2018 there are places like that. And I need internet as I am doing an online course, watching lectures online etc, I need to write essays.
They said I could get a mobile internet, 20 Gigabyte for 20 pounds but seriously?! It's nothing when you need streaming videos, also it's for a mobile phone, I can't write codes and execute them on my mobile.
So the manager "generously" offered me to use his personal network, he would increase the allowance with 10 GByte.

Basically I already missed my deadlines, I need to start all over again, also if he had told me the real situation with the rooms I would have never gone there. He wasted my time, he wasted their time. Probably thought once I get there I would stay anyhow like the people who just came from Eastern Europe and do not speak English.

So after a couple of days, at the edge of a meltdown I left in the morning. I wrote him an email telling him I don't appreciate being lied to. Because he lied about the rooms.
He called me rude in return and acted like I was stupid, as "the head housekeeper was on holiday, of course we need to clean more rooms" But the head housekeeper DOES NOT clean rooms, she is there to organise the running of the department, she's got nothing to do with room cleaning.
And I was called ungrateful as I was offered a solution (10gbyte) missing the point completely that he should have mentioned it before I travelled there.
At the end of his reply he even threathened me that he knows and friends with a lot of hotel managers in case I ever want to go back to the area of my previous job.

So I walked out. I do feel bad about leaving the other cleaners in a sh***y situation but I don't regret calling him a liar, because that's what he is. Unfortunately he doesn't and never will understand my point as I am just another immigrant.

I have another job, they seem to be nicer but at the moment I really hate people.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 5:24 am

i have walked out on jobs without notice.
when i was 17, i took a job that was described as "customer recruitment".
before long, it was apparent to me that it was a telemarketing job.
i was given a telephone book and told to ring all the numbers in it and spruik the wares (i forget what they were).
i said to the supervisor that i needed to go to my car to get my ventolin puffer, and i just drove away never to return.

another one was a company that said they had insane deals on household items, and i got the job.
it was just selling pots and pans. i just put them on the ground and went out and caught a cab and went home.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 6:35 am

It's always wrong of you to mistreat others; it's always perfectly okay of them to mistreat you.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 6:55 am

It's very hard to do menial work when someone is doing your head in, I could never stick it. Congratulations on walking out, have you thought about becoming self employed?

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2018, 9:26 pm

I wouldn't feel too bad about it, under the circumstances. Let it go. Focus on school and your current job.

CannibalCorpse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 Aug 2018, 5:48 am

Domineekee yes, I thought about it, this is why I am studying, to have some skills
I could use.
Thank Bea, I am trying to let it go, it's just hard as this was the third move and job change within two months. It feels like the world has changed since last year when I was looking for a job.
Hopefully it's just an unlucky streak ending now.

It's just annoying that people can get away with everything and at the end it's always me they blame.

Sahn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 8:00 am

Good luck with your studies.

Esmerelda Weatherwax
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 8:19 am

Hi Cannibal

This is one of those places where I really do believe in situational ethics, which is blah blah for what's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

First off, the point of giving notice is that you are behaving honorably towards an employer (and respecting accepted norms of behavior so that the former boss can't "ding" you for that in references).

However, if the employer is dishonorable, behaving honorably towards them may not be wise, or even ethical (!). And any employer who lies about working conditions, or in any way entraps an employee, fails the honor test.

Most employers have no qualms at all about firing the entire company if they feel like it. How many companies have been open one day and shuttered the next and their workers never saw it coming?

And honestly, nowadays? Many employers want you to give notice, but how do they react when you do? They fire you on the spot. So... sauce for the gander.

Full disclosure: I accepted a job about 30 years ago now that was totally misrepresented to me. From the moment I arrived, I found myself being undermined; even the secretaries lied to me about how many times per day the interoffice mail was delivered (then had hissy fits when I discovered the lie and went down to our mail room daily to pick mine up, so I wouldn't miss deadlines, which was their intention).

The place was pathologically dysfunctional. So I gritted my teeth and stayed long enough to get a decent resume entry out of it, then took my annual vacation - all of it - and phoned in my resignation on my last day off. Went in the following Monday to hand in my badge and so on, and when HR expressed surprise at the way I'd handled this, I expressed surprise right back to them at the way I'd been treated, with illustrations and ample documentation. And started my new job in a sane place one week after, with a nice three week rest behind me.

"I believe you find life such a problem because you think there are the good people and the bad people," said the man. "You're wrong, of course. There are, always and only, the bad people, but some of them are on opposite sides."
-- Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

AspE
Veteran
Veteran

22 Aug 2018, 9:26 am

Employers always underestimate the amount of work they need done. I experience that even in the corporate world. It's called mission creep. And I wouldn't expect an employer to provide internet access, especially if my job didn't involve the internet. So these things should have been expected. That being said, I've often walked off a job, but only temp ones, nothing important career-wise.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

24 Aug 2018, 9:38 am

I quit my job at WalMart without notice because I got in trouble with the temp head manger for something that wasn't my fault. I was ordered by an assistant manger to do something & ignore all orders that didn't come from her. The temp head manager had me paged to do something but didn't make the page herself. I ignored it like I was ordered to do & then the temp head chewed me out for not following the order & didn't give me a chance to explain myself. I had been working a lot of overtime due to my department being more & more short-handed. The OT was voluntary & not required. Management had been on our backs more & more & getting in trouble for something that was a managers fault was the last straw. After I finished my work I went in personal & asked if I could quit without notice & they said I could. We had a contract crew helping us out & shortly after I left the remaining members of my department were dissolved into others & the contract crew took over fully. I would of had problems working in other departments due to disabilities so I feel I was forced out.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

24 Aug 2018, 10:06 am

In that situation probably not, sounds like a bad employer. I mean if you had given a two weeks notice seems like you would have had to deal with them just being nasty and treating you like your stupid for those last two weeks, may have also tried to over-work you.

alpacka
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

29 Aug 2018, 6:15 am

Cannibalcorpse:

I have also worked as a cleaninglady on several hotels before. The thing is, you never know for absolute sure if it´s 8-10 rooms even when they tell you, when someone is sick (which happends alot on hotels) suddenly it´s about 10 more rooms at least to clean.
I also had my fare share with hotel manager tell me that I can go home when Im ready, then after a year she suddenly changed and said that no, I can´t leave when I´m ready because maybe the other cleaningladies need my help with their room and then I decide to say goodbye because freedom is important to me.

This is a problem most all hotels have, some cleaners are fast as hell (me) and some are extremely tidy but good (but take too long), somebody is just lazy asses, letting others doing their job by drag their asses all day. I think at least they can say if you can leave in a certain time, but the room-thing is harder.

Homer_Bob
Veteran
Veteran

29 Aug 2018, 6:10 pm

If you don't care about getting a reference from this job then do whatever you want. Looks like you already got another job anyways so it doesn't seem to have hurt you. More important jobs, I would never recommend but for menial jobs, walk away.

"The less I know about other people's affairs, the happier I am. I'm not interested in caring about people. I once worked with a guy for three years and never learned his name. The best friend I ever had. We still never talk sometimes."