Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 12:47 am

Does Aspergers shake? I mean do Aspergers people’s body parts shake,like their arm shakes or a hand?

MrMacPhisto
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 4:27 am

My hands do shake from time to time. I think it might have something to do with Gross Motor Functions

Serpentine
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Aug 2018, 6:24 am

I have had hand and occasionally arm tremors since childhood. It seems to get worse when I'm tired or stressed.

I've never known the reason for it, but it seems that a lot of people with Asperger's / ASD have these tremors.

- Joanne M. Harris, The Testament of Loki

Ms.Berg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 7:34 am

Sometimes during conversations where I have been talking quite a bit(I am usually very quiet) I start shaking. My arms and hands but also my jaw shakes rapidly. My body seems to react as if I am freezing although I am not. I tend to pull my body together as people do when cold but also to try to hide that I am shaking, and I have been asked if I am cold in situations like this so people do notice anyway.
Being rather recently diagnosed I wouldn`t know if this has anything to do with Aspergers, I feel I am still learning about what with me is due to Aspergers syndrome, but I have had this shaking thing all my teenage/adult years and to this day, without knowing why because I haven`t felt stressed or nervous before I start to shake and I can start to shake even if I am talking to people I know well, like my sister. If I feel nervous and stressed I cannot talk that much and as I said my tremors comes when I am talking and are engaged in a conversation. I always found it so strange... and embarrassing.

Come to think of it: as a child I remember shaking like this when I was about to do something I really looked forward to. I don`t experience this anymore.

I do feel shaky and tense when I am nervous or feel exposed too but it seems to be slightly different, like I am shaking more on the inside than on the outside.

dragonsanddemons
Veteran
Veteran

28 Aug 2018, 7:55 am

I tend to be very shaky, because I have essential tremor. It gets worse when I tense my muscles, or when I'm nervous, even the slightest bit cold, or when my blood sugar is low. Unfortunately, I have no idea whether essential tremor is more common among people with Asperger's or if it's just a coincidence that I have both.

Yet in my new wildness and freedom I almost welcome the bitterness of alienage. For although nepenthe has calmed me, I know always that I am an outsider; a stranger in this century and among those who are still men.
-H. P. Lovecraft, "The Outsider"

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

30 Aug 2018, 8:20 pm

I think I had my first tremor last night in my bad foot, I was sleeping & my foot was sooo badly shaking, it woke me up, my foot continued to shake. Before bedtime, I asked for my pain medicine, I didn’t get it, I got my medicine after one hour & thirty five minutes.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

31 Aug 2018, 8:34 am

Hi Kitty. I sometimes have jerks in my bad leg (the one with the broken ankle, but it was weak, before that). Right after I broke the ankle the jerks were really painful. As I progressed with healing, the jerks have almost gone away, and are not very painful when they do happen.

My daughter and I were in a yoga class and we both sometimes experienced a leg trembling involuntarily. (Both of us have autism.) We found that changing position usually stopped it. The yoga teacher said something about a reflex circuit or something, I didn't understand it but essentially, it was nothing to worry about.

So for your situation, I would suggest change how you are sitting or lying. Stretching may help prevent the shaking.
Pain medication is probably not the way to go. Of course, each person is different. I hope you have a good day today!

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 1:04 am

BeaArthur wrote:
Hi Kitty. I sometimes have jerks in my bad leg (the one with the broken ankle, but it was weak, before that). Right after I broke the ankle the jerks were really painful. As I progressed with healing, the jerks have almost gone away, and are not very painful when they do happen.

My daughter and I were in a yoga class and we both sometimes experienced a leg trembling involuntarily. (Both of us have autism.) We found that changing position usually stopped it. The yoga teacher said something about a reflex circuit or something, I didn't understand it but essentially, it was nothing to worry about.

So for your situation, I would suggest change how you are sitting or lying. Stretching may help prevent the shaking.
Pain medication is probably not the way to go. Of course, each person is different. I hope you have a good day today!

What are jerks? It’s another kind of pain? I never heard of it. How are you walking around & I’m still in the nursing home, but I’m improving everyday.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 8:35 am

Hi Kitty. Well, a jerk is a single and rather large, involuntary movement. I think it would more properly be called a spasm. Whereas shaking that involves many small movements in a regular pattern is probably called a tremor. The jerking is probably related to some structural problems in my spine.

I have been getting around using a mobility scooter (you probably have seen old people riding those sometimes), inside the house as well as around the town. Since a week ago, I am now able to drive again, which makes me quite happy. I am not doing much walking (3 or 4 steps maybe). I imagine I might get sent to physical therapy, but hope not, as I don't have much self-discipline doing the exercises. Soon I may try walking with my walker (another thing you see old people with) but I don't want to push it.

How about you? Are they having you use crutches? Since I was physically disabled before I broke the ankle, I don't think crutches would work for me as I would probably fall again.

I am sure glad to hear you are getting better every day. I know you've had lots of ups and downs in the nursing home. Won't it feel great when they finally send you home!?

Arganger
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 8:47 am

I have essential tremor.

Suspected; PTSD (Treated, as my counselor did notice), possible PCOS, PMDD, Learning disabilities (Sure of it, unknown what they are), possibly something wrong with immune system (Sick about as much as I'm not) Possible EDS- hyper mobility type (Will be getting tested, suggested by doctor) dysautonomia

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 4:29 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Hi Kitty. Well, a jerk is a single and rather large, involuntary movement. I think it would more properly be called a spasm. Whereas shaking that involves many small movements in a regular pattern is probably called a tremor. The jerking is probably related to some structural problems in my spine.

I have been getting around using a mobility scooter (you probably have seen old people riding those sometimes), inside the house as well as around the town. Since a week ago, I am now able to drive again, which makes me quite happy. I am not doing much walking (3 or 4 steps maybe). I imagine I might get sent to physical therapy, but hope not, as I don't have much self-discipline doing the exercises. Soon I may try walking with my walker (another thing you see old people with) but I don't want to push it.

How about you? Are they having you use crutches? Since I was physically disabled before I broke the ankle, I don't think crutches would work for me as I would probably fall again.

I am sure glad to hear you are getting better every day. I know you've had lots of ups and downs in the nursing home. Won't it feel great when they finally send you home!?

I wish I could have a mobile scooter, the one you have, does it has a seat with a basket? If so,they cost over a thousand dollars.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 5:46 pm

That's right, this one cost over a thousand dollars, but health insurance paid for more than half of it. It does come with a basket but I took it off because it makes it harder to get around tight corners indoors.

Health insurance paid for this because I have permanent weakness and gait disturbance due to a spinal problem.

You will get back to walking normally, I assume. Well, I don't walk normally even when I haven't broken an ankle.

Maybe it would be possible to rent one? But it's a real hassle if you have to go up any stairs.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 7:30 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
That's right, this one cost over a thousand dollars, but health insurance paid for more than half of it. It does come with a basket but I took it off because it makes it harder to get around tight corners indoors.

Health insurance paid for this because I have permanent weakness and gait disturbance due to a spinal problem.

You will get back to walking normally, I assume. Well, I don't walk normally even when I haven't broken an ankle.

Maybe it would be possible to rent one? But it's a real hassle if you have to go up any stairs.

Do you have a seat? I have wobbly legs & I bought a walker, but I need one of those old fashion walkers, ALOT of times my legs don’t work too good. There NO WAY I can walk/hop on one foot. I’m strong again,but walking on one foot is sooo worse, I hardly can stand up on one foot. The physical therapists here maybe great, but I know my body better. I found knee scooter on Amazon, I also looked at scooter with a seat & an electric wheelchair. I was born with weak muscles, I did not walk until I was 3 years old.

BeaArthur
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm

Oh! If you have a lifelong weakness issue, then you might have a case for getting a mobility scooter. It never hurts to ask, anyway. This link is to the motorized scooter I have: https://www.pridemobility.com/p/go-go-elite-traveller-3-wheel

Knee scooters look like they might be kind of good, because they don't make you bend over a walker. I do have a wheeled, seated walker (often called a Rollator) as well, which I only used for short walks prior to my injury, and have not resumed yet since the electric scooter is safer for me. A Rollator can be bought for a bit over $100 at places like Walgreens or, of course, Amazon.

A nice thing about my scooter is that it comes apart very easily (no tools) to fit in the trunk of a car. I could do this by myself prior to the injury and I'm sure I will again, but I am trying not to rush my recovery and end up re-injuring myself. Electric wheelchairs are much heavier and more expensive - although again, renting one during your recovery might be an option. But because of their weight, you typically would need a specially modified vehicle, whereas my scooter fits in the trunk of any car.

Kitty4670
Veteran
Veteran

03 Sep 2018, 6:32 pm

BeaArthur wrote:
Oh! If you have a lifelong weakness issue, then you might have a case for getting a mobility scooter. It never hurts to ask, anyway. This link is to the motorized scooter I have: https://www.pridemobility.com/p/go-go-elite-traveller-3-wheel

Knee scooters look like they might be kind of good, because they don't make you bend over a walker. I do have a wheeled, seated walker (often called a Rollator) as well, which I only used for short walks prior to my injury, and have not resumed yet since the electric scooter is safer for me. A Rollator can be bought for a bit over $100 at places like Walgreens or, of course, Amazon.

A nice thing about my scooter is that it comes apart very easily (no tools) to fit in the trunk of a car. I could do this by myself prior to the injury and I'm sure I will again, but I am trying not to rush my recovery and end up re-injuring myself. Electric wheelchairs are much heavier and more expensive - although again, renting one during your recovery might be an option. But because of their weight, you typically would need a specially modified vehicle, whereas my scooter fits in the trunk of any car.

You are lucky, people can reach the high shelves for you. I have that walker you talked about. I can still walk, but I can have trouble too. I bought my walker at Walmart for a lower price :D The scooter I saw on Amazon, the brakes doesn’t work, I read the reviews. I fell down when I broke my ankle, I have hardwood floors, they can be a little slippery for me. :? :o :cry:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Sep 2019, 11:04 am

Kitty4670 wrote:
Does Aspergers shake? I mean do Aspergers people’s body parts shake,like their arm shakes or a hand?

It has been known.