Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ck990
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Sep 2018, 10:47 am

When I compare myself to neurotypicals, I have a feeling like the part of my brain responsible for talking and communication is brain-dead.

I am quiet because I literally don't know what to talk about with other people. I talk only when I have an inspiration or a idea what to talk about.

I didn't choose to be quiet, it seems that quietness chose me.

I am completely friendless. I had only one friend in my life, when I was 12 years old.

I sincerely wish to socialize and to be perceived as a friendly, communicative person.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

02 Sep 2018, 9:53 pm

sign language

online friends

get one of those machines that talks for you ($$$$$)

write on a chalkboard

banana247
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Sep 2018, 4:55 pm

So you're not LITERALLY mute, but just find it difficult to converse or talk near other people?

The best thing I can think of is signing up for those friendship meet up groups based on your interests. I know they have apps like Tinder or like dating websites, but for friends in your area. Also, there are often local facebook groups related to various community related activities or interests, like dogs, Pokemon GO (phone game), hiking, books, garage sales, thrift stores, etc.

Since you are unable to start conversations or respond to people in order to get to know them and tell them about yourself, you probably would have to do some of that ahead of time. Maybe in an online Facebook group or meet up group, you can find things in common with people before meeting up. You could also explain your issue with words via typing and then they would know what to expect when you meet in real life.

The only other choice I can think of is having a friend who knows a lot of people and can introduce you, or have a friend to be your "wingman" but for friends, so you go places together and he can help break the ice with new people. Of course, you would have to have a good friend first for these to work. I'd suggest joining some FB groups, being as friendly as you can online, and then going to the meet up.

PhoenixFalcon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Sep 2018, 9:32 pm

As other people have mentioned, the internet is your friend. In this age of mass communications, you don't need to speak to make connections anymore. Just find an online community or chatroom that is compatible with your hobbies and interests and befriend people there. It's easier said than done, but it seems that is the best solution to your problem.

green0star
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 8:44 pm

You should make friends online then. I pretty much gave up on offline contacts when I ended up having to cut everyone loose after graduating high school. The only person I deal with offline is my boyfriend and we started off as friends so that's pretty much all I need since I really can't maintain anymore then that anyway.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

22 Sep 2018, 8:54 pm

I am mute in many situations. Social time backfires with many people because I shut down. I'm OK having meaningful verbal conversations with maybe four people in the world, one of whom is my trauma psych.

Online is a really nice way to reach out to people. Living in the 70s-2010 with no online opportunity was sheer hell.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2018, 9:50 am

ck990 wrote:
When I compare myself to neurotypicals, I have a feeling like the part of my brain responsible for talking and communication is brain-dead.

I am quiet because I literally don't know what to talk about with other people. I talk only when I have an inspiration or a idea what to talk about.

I didn't choose to be quiet, it seems that quietness chose me.

I am completely friendless. I had only one friend in my life, when I was 12 years old.

I sincerely wish to socialize and to be perceived as a friendly, communicative person.

I relate to what you wrote here.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2018, 10:08 am

I have selective mutism.

CalicoMischief
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

28 Sep 2018, 10:12 am

banana247 wrote:
So you're not LITERALLY mute, but just find it difficult to converse or talk near other people?

The best thing I can think of is signing up for those friendship meet up groups based on your interests. I know they have apps like Tinder or like dating websites, but for friends in your area. Also, there are often local facebook groups related to various community related activities or interests, like dogs, Pokemon GO (phone game), hiking, books, garage sales, thrift stores, etc.

Since you are unable to start conversations or respond to people in order to get to know them and tell them about yourself, you probably would have to do some of that ahead of time. Maybe in an online Facebook group or meet up group, you can find things in common with people before meeting up. You could also explain your issue with words via typing and then they would know what to expect when you meet in real life.

The only other choice I can think of is having a friend who knows a lot of people and can introduce you, or have a friend to be your "wingman" but for friends, so you go places together and he can help break the ice with new people. Of course, you would have to have a good friend first for these to work. I'd suggest joining some FB groups, being as friendly as you can online, and then going to the meet up.

I relate to what you said here. I think the most realistic scenario for me personally if i wanted to socialize in person with someone else would be a social Meetup group (ive done this) related to my personal interests. Structured social activities are preferred to non structured social activities.